32 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2016 9:13 PM by eyepoker

Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?

donaldnp Level 1

Hi all,

I have got my "Hello World" working on Android, and now turning my attention to the Apple version. I am developing in Windows. The doco states "You generate this certificate based on the Apple iPhone developer certificate file you receive from Apple", but I haven't received one (nothing in my E-mail anyway). I've looked around my developer account and can't see it there either. At this stage I have enrolled in the free individual developer program, which does say you can test on other devices, or do you have to be part of the paid developer program to get a certificate? (I thought you would get one on the free program as well since it states you can test on other devices) I'm not sure where to find this info (or even if I do get it on the free plan)?

thanks,

Donald.

• 1. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
          VectorP Level 4

You seem to mix up the Adobe membership and the Apple Developer membership.

The former is free (or pay in order to extend your account), the latter is not.

For Apple, see: Apple Developer Program - Apple Developer

• 2. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
            donaldnp Level 1

Nope. Not confused at all. Choosing a Membership - Support - Apple Developer The only confusion is do I get a certificate as a free individual, and if so where is it?

• 3. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
              VectorP Level 4

OK, so you have a developer membership from Apple and now need a certificate.

It is not sent to you by mail. The process includes

- creating a Certificate Request locally

- getting a certificate online at Apple's Dev website

- proceed to create a .p12 file for use at PGB locally

- specify Apps and Devices online at Apple's Dev site

- create a .mobileprovision file at Apple's Dev site

The first step is usually done in Xcode on Mac. Since you mentioned you're working on Windows, you may want to proceed along these lines: https://www.iandevlin.com/blog/2012/11/phonegap/building-an-ios-signing-key-for-phonegap-i n-windows

• 4. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                donaldnp Level 1

Thanks, but I did already see that URL in another thread, tried to follow it, and found it out of date (or perhaps only works for a paid plan). Where it says "Now you need to go to your Apple Developer iOS Provisioning Portal in order to generate an iOS Development Certificate,.....Click on “Certificates” in the left hand side, and then “Request"...”, there ISN'T a "Certificates" on the left hand side of my screen to click on (several other options on the left side of the screen, but not "Certificates". Thought it might be buried in "Documents", but couldn't find it there) - this is what led to my question (does the "Certificate" option only appear for paid members, or do I need to look somewhere else?).

• 5. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                  VectorP Level 4

I might be confused, now.

Initially, I thought you were mixing up Adobe membership and Apple Dev membership, because you said you had a Free Plan.

Now, you see to confirm that you have a Free Developer Plan with Apple, of which I have never heard.

Following your link Choosing a Membership - Support - Apple Developer  I don't see a Free Developer Membership. Only the one for 99$ a year.

Yes, you can create an Apple ID free of charge, but that doesn't include the Apple Developer Membership.

• 6. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                    donaldnp Level 1

"Individuals

If you’re looking to develop apps for Apple platforms, download the Xcode developer tools, SDKs, and resources for free on the Xcode downloads page. Program membership is not required. If you don’t already have an Apple ID, you can create one here."

Yes, it does exist, and I can confirm now that yes you can get a certificate as a free developer - I've been on the Apple forum too now - the only problem is the information in the Apple forum was about how to get it on a Mac, and I am on Windows, so I know it can be done, but still don't know how to do it on Windows (I'm posting there as well now, hoping to find someone who knows how to do it in Windows). Perhaps I am the first person to try to develop for Apple using Phonegap Build for free, but I wouldn't have thought so (if you have to get a Mac in order to develop for Apple that would kind of defeat the purpose of Phonegap Build to begin with)...

• 7. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                      VectorP Level 4

The part of the Apple Dev site which you quote is NOT about the Apple Developer Program. It just says that you can get an Apple ID for free, so you can get the Xcode developer tools and SDK.

However, the paragraph (which you did not quote) below that text  is about the Apple Dev Program and mentions the membership fee of 99 dollars a year.

Also, you should be aware that - in Apple's terminology - developing an app is not the same as signing the app for test/publication purposes.

• 8. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                        donaldnp Level 1

Sorry, but the page IS about developing - it is called "Choosing a Membership - Support - Apple Developer" (the first option being for free, anything else costs money) - and as I said in my previous post, I have confirmed you CAN get a certificate (so as to sign your app) as a free developer (but the directions I found were for Mac, not for Windows). Note the part in my quote about "membership is not required". If you don't know the answer, fine, but everything I have said is correct and I am still looking for an answer from someone who does know how to do it (the link you provided before says how to do it, but is unfortunately out of date - there is no "Certificates" button on the mentioned screen anymore).

• 9. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                          VectorP Level 4

and as I said in my previous post, I have confirmed you CAN get a certificate (so as to sign your app) as a free developer (but the directions I found were for Mac, not for Windows)

Fine. In that case: sorry for my apparently incorrect answer.

Would you please be kind enough to:

- post the url of the document with the above directions for free Apple Developers

- post the correct answer here, once you receive it elsewhere

?

Thanks!

• 10. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                            donaldnp Level 1

This was the directions for a Mac - Can I get a free apple developer certificate or... | Apple Developer Forums

Hopefully someone here can answer me for Windows(!), but if I get an answer elsewhere I shall update this post.

• 11. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                              kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional
                              • Using PhoneGap Build has never been about avoiding paying Apple their $99/year to be part of the developer program. It's been about not needing a Mac for the build step. You still need a Mac for the deployment to the App Store, for example, so PGB doesn't completely obviate the need for a Mac. (However, for distribution, it's easy enough to borrow a friend's, or rent one in the cloud for an hour or two, which is really cheap.)
                              • The free provisioning/testing functionality you are referencing exists solely to test your apps on your own devices without having to pay Apple a fee. As the app is signed in such a way to work only on your devices, in order to distribute your app to others, you'd need to pay up.
                              • The functionality is built into Xcode. AFAIK, there's no way to get this on Windows.

Essentially: pay the $99/year to Apple. You won't need a Mac until you have to distribute to the App Store, and there are many cheap ways  of working around that (rent/borrow).

• 12. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                donaldnp Level 1

"You still need a Mac for the deployment to the App Store, for example, so PGB doesn't completely obviate the need for a Mac"

Why do I need a Mac? PGB advertises itself as producing "app store ready" apps on multiple platforms, and if I need a Mac then that isn't true. This is the only advantage it has over some other approaches (and is why I'm trying it first - develop with just a PC).

"The free provisioning/testing functionality you are referencing exists solely to test your apps on your own devices without having to pay Apple a fee"

Which is exactly what I'm trying to do. It's there for people to experiment, and that is what I'm doing.

"AFAIK, there's no way to get this on Windows"

I've seen 2 documents about it so far, but one was unclear and the other was out-of-date.

"pay the $99/year to Apple. You won't need a Mac until you have to distribute to the App Store, and there are many cheap ways  of working around that"

If I need to get a Mac, then it's going to cost me more than $99, which means I would have to re-assess the whole situation (cost vs. benefits). I'm trying PGB first due to the promise of not needing to buy another computer (not just cost to consider, but also space).

• 13. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?

donaldnp wrote:

"You still need a Mac for the deployment to the App Store, for example, so PGB doesn't completely obviate the need for a Mac"

Why do I need a Mac? PGB advertises itself as producing "app store ready" apps on multiple platforms, and if I need a Mac then that isn't true. This is the only advantage it has over some other approaches (and is why I'm trying it first - develop with just a PC).

You need a Mac because Apple.

But you only need one in order to upload your app to the App Store. "App store ready" does not mean "deployed to the App Store". It just means you can use PGB to get an IPA suitable for use on a Mac that can be uploaded to the App Store.

How you do that is up to you -- there are several options:

• Buy a Mac. Most expensive option, especially if you are only going to be using it for deployment.
                                  • Rent a Mac. Easy, fast, no setup, and extremely cheap. You'll probably only need a few hours, so use a plan that charges by the hour.  http://www.macincloud.com/  has plans as low as $1/hr. I've used them in the past and been very impressed.
                                  • Borrow a friend's Mac. Cheapest option, although you have to schedule some time where your friend doesn't need the Mac.

"The free provisioning/testing functionality you are referencing exists solely to test your apps on your own devices without having to pay Apple a fee"

Which is exactly what I'm trying to do. It's there for people to experiment, and that is what I'm doing.

Yes, fine, but how in the world is Apple going to know that? You get this functionality by using Xcode and attaching your device. Apple wants you in the ecosystem, not outside of it, so I wouldn't expect them to make this available any other way. Once you did this, perhaps there is a way to muck about and grab the cert, but you'd need physical access to a Mac, which is what you are trying to avoid.

"AFAIK, there's no way to get this on Windows"

I've seen 2 documents about it so far, but one was unclear and the other was out-of-date.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, so please link these documents. To the best of my knowledge you can use Windows to generate the certs, but only for paid developer accounts.

"pay the $99/year to Apple. You won't need a Mac until you have to distribute to the App Store, and there are many cheap ways of working around that"

If I need to get a Mac, then it's going to cost me more than $99, which means I would have to re-assess the whole situation (cost vs. benefits). I'm trying PGB first due to the promise of not needing to buy another computer (not just cost to consider, but also space).

Read above. You could end up only needing to spend like $103 -- $99 for the dev program and $4 for four hours of time on a Mac in the cloud when you distribute your app to the store. This is ignoring any taxes that inevitably figurie into checkouts and such, but you get the point. Keep in mind that the dev program is a yearly cost, and is absolutely a requirement for distribution to the App Store.

Side note: if you only need to use core plugins and can live with the edge cases, you can get an awful lot of stuff done with the PhoneGap Developer App and either the PG CLI, PhoneGap Desktop, or even just an http server (serving your www folder). It isn't perfect, but you don't need a Mac, and it is handy for rapid iteration. You will still need to build the app for real, but PGDevApp might get you far enough to determine if your app idea is feasible or not.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                    VectorP Level 4

Why do I need a Mac? PGB advertises itself as producing "app store ready" apps on multiple platforms, and if I need a Mac then that isn't true.

Well, sue them!

Alternatively, be aware that it's correct. PGB produces apps (not just for iOS) that can be placed into the respective Stores, be it Android, iOS or Windows. The Build service includes the ability to sign the app for distribution. All you need to do is provide the necessary certificate files (which are different for each OS) and the app's source code,  and PGB will build.

Then you can publish your app, according to the Store's rules (which includes using a Mac for upload in case of iOS).

Indeed, PGB is not going to buy you a Mac. And it is not going to write your source code or produce your certificate.

This is the only advantage it has over some other approaches

Certainly not!

The main advantages are:

- you can build in the cloud from any machine, be it Windows, Mac, Linux or even your mobile phone

- you don't need to install and maintain a development/build environment with Java, Node, SDK's, installed plugins, etc. All you need is your favorite code editor and a browser. PGB will take care of the build environment

(from the original question:)

....but I haven't received one (nothing in my E-mail anyway)

Your perception of the concept of certificates appears to be flawed. Such certificate can never be prepared and delivered by Apple or whatever third party, because your private key must be used to generate it. And you are the only one who knows its credentials.

So, the generation of such certificate must be initiated by you, the private key holder. In case of iOS, this takes place when you create and upload a Certificate Request.

• 15. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                      donaldnp Level 1

If you read back I already posted the links for getting the certificates in Windows (but as noted one is unclear and the other is out of date. Neither of them says whether you have to be on the paid program or not, but I don't see how that would matter given the procedures that have been outlined in them. The free program includes "testing on devices", which is what you need the certificate for, so is presumably included in the free program).

As for what constitutes "app store ready", the Phonegap doco says this...

"What do I do with my app when I get it back from PhoneGap Build? Is it ready for app store submission?

It depends on the platform that you're targeting. For Android, iOS and Windows Phone 8, you'll need to provide the correct certificates and/or signing keys to allow distribution. See our other documentation for more details on this process".

So that's saying that all I need is the certificate and signing - doesn't say I need a Mac. As for the mentioned "other documentation", if it is referring to the link underneath for the "iOS guide", that link is broken, and if it's referring to the other document I have already seen, that is every bit as vague as the "other documentation" reference itself, which gets back to my original problem - every document I have found in regard to this is broken is some way (vague, out of date, missing altogether). The documents I've found say it can be done, but I've not yet found one with the correct, current instructions on how to do it.

• 16. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                        VectorP Level 4

The documents I've found say it can be done, but I've not yet found one with the correct, current instructions on how to do it.

That's why Kerri and I are desperately trying to help you, by telling you how thinks work and what you need.

(And I agree, not all Phonegap documentation is in excellent condition - although they have recently made some good progress in that area).

• 17. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                          donaldnp Level 1

"That's why Kerri and I are desperately trying to help you"

Understood, and appreciated, but you've both said it can't be done on Windows, when the documents state quite clearly that it can be (even if the directions on how to do so are lacking in clarity).

In the meantime I've managed to find how to contact Apple about this (since Adobe are doing everything in their power NOT to be contactable - referring people here instead) so I'll see if I can get an answer straight from the horse's mouth tomorrow about this issue.

• 18. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                            donaldnp Level 1

"So, the generation of such certificate must be initiated by you, the private key holder. In case of iOS, this takes place when you create and upload a Certificate Request"

Right, but I'm still trying to find how to do this. This is where the documentation is lacking. One document says to click on "Certificates", but I see no such link on the mentioned screen (so that is why I say it appears to be out of date - the screen appears differently to how they have portrayed it).

• 19. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?

First, old documentation isn't going to indicate if you have to be a member of the paid program or not because free provisioning is very new -- it started with iOS 9 and Xcode 7. So for anything older than a year or so ago, being a member wasn't an option -- you had to be in order to do anything.

Second, can PGB give you something that's ready for publication on the App Store? Absolutely (And @VectorP has outlined the benefits of PGB). Can PGB upload your app to the store for you? No. Can you upload your app without using a Mac? No. One can argue that the documentation here is unclear, but it's not wrong.

Third, the Apple App Store is a bit different from Google Play wrt how you send them an app. You can only do so in one of two ways:

• Xcode
                                              • Application Loader

There is no other supported mechanism for uploading an app to the App Store. This is why you'll need a Mac (whether you buy one, rent one, or borrow one). Note that you'll also need to be a member of the paid developer account in order to submit your app to the store.

(Would I like Apple to change this? Yes. Absolutely. But that's the way things are right now.)

Fourth, there are two things you need in order to sign apps and use PGB to deploy to your device. You need:

• The developer certificate. You generate the CSR on your machine, and the process is completed with the developer portal. Newer versions of Xcode can also automate this process for you (with varying results). This automation is a key component of free provisioning.
                                              • A provisioning profile. This profile specifies the devices to which an app can be installed. For development, this is usually your devices as well as your testing group's devices. With a paid developer account, you can specify any device ID you want using the online portal, or Xcode can handle this automatically as well (for physically attached devices). This automation is yet again a key component of free provisioning.

With a paid developer account, the following applies:

• You can generate the developer certificate without a Mac. You use openssl instead. You can complete the certificate process online in the developer portal (and does have the "certificates" section you are missing). If you have a Mac you can use Xcode if you want. Valid for a year.
                                              • You can generate a provisioning profile without a Mac -- the entire process can be done online in the developer portal (using the "provisioning profiles" section). If you have a Mac you can use Xcode as well. Valid for a year.
                                              • You must have a Mac to upload your app to the App Store.

With free provisioning, the following applies (to the best of my knowledge):

• You must use Xcode to generate the developer certificate. This requires a Mac. The identity is valid for a year.
                                              • You must attach the test device to Xcode in order to generate the provisioning profile. This requires a Mac and a physical device (obviously). The profile is valid for three months (last I knew).
                                              • I've seen NO documentation online (in my searches, anyway) that indicates you can get the cert & provisioning profile any other way. Xamarin and other tools that don't typically use the Xcode IDE have in their documentation that you need to use Xcode to get the cert & profile.
                                              • Free provisioning can NOT distribute apps to anyone -- not through the app store, and not ad-hoc. You must be a paid member in order to distribute your apps.
                                              • Free provisioned apps lack access to certain functionality (Apple's docs make this clear).
                                              • Could you extract the profile & cert? Yes, probably. Would it work with PGB? I don't know. Would it make sense? No, since you still need a Mac in the first place, and would need to continually renew the profile.

Fifth, based on other reports in other posts, I suspect Adobe Customer Support will direct you back here. If you do hear differently regarding free provisioning and Windows, I'm happy to be proven wrong. So far, I've seen nothing here or online that would lead me to a different conclusion.

• 20. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                donaldnp Level 1

Ok, now I am getting some useful information from you (so I wish you'd started off with this post, but moving on), and I have also spoken to a helpful lady at Apple...

"free provisioning is very new -- it started with iOS 9 and Xcode 7"

Didn't know that, so that does perhaps explain some of the confusion.

"You can only do so in one of two ways:

• Xcode
                                                • Application Loader"

The Apple lady said this too, however this isn't the same as needing a Mac - this is just needing Xcode or Application Loader. This MAY possibly still be achieved by an OSX VM (people in the Phonegap FB group have said you can definitely develop with an OSX VM). This is where I questioned why you need a Mac - the answer is you need Xcode or Application Loader (and if you can get them running in a VM, may not need a physical Mac). She did refer me to the iTunes Connect Developer Guide, which I shall have a look through later.

"You can generate the developer certificate without a Mac. You use openssl instead. You can complete the certificate process online in the developer portal (and does have the "certificates" section you are missing)".

Well, this gets back to part of my original question - is the certificate only available on the paid program? If the "Certificates" link is available as a paid member, then that (kind of) answers the question, however that still leaves the question of the openSSL method open. The free program does specify that you can test on devices, which implies to me that you can get a certificate on that program. I tried openSSL without success, but, as I said originally, the doco was unclear to me. Having never done this before, I don't know if I was missing something (config settings for example), or whether it only works if you're on the paid program. The Apple lady said they don't know anything about 3rd party approaches, so there was no help from her in regards to the openSSL method. Not only are they not trained about it, they actually aren't even TOLD about such things - she hadn't even HEARD OF Phonegap! (and yet there are Phonegap apps in the store. e.g. TripCase).

"You must use Xcode to generate the developer certificate. This requires a Mac"

You can run Xcode in a VM, so no, doesn't require a (physical) Mac.

"You must attach the test device to Xcode in order to generate the provisioning profile. This requires a Mac and a physical device (obviously)"

Well this is the crux of the matter for where I am at. Build generates a QR code, from which I can directly download to my Android phone. i.e. no need to put it in Google Play first. I am trying to sort out the certificate issue to see if the same applies to the Apple version (it doesn't build an Apple version without the certificate). I guess it's partly my fault for not including this specific info in my original question (I knew I needed a certificate, but probably would've helped to give this extra background info, since this is actually what I am trying to test out at the moment).

Once you have your certificate sorted out with PGB, have you tried downloading directly from the QR code? Or does it not give a QR code for the Apple version?

"Free provisioning can NOT distribute apps to anyone...Free provisioned apps lack access to certain functionality (Apple's docs make this clear)"

The Apple document states that you can "test on devices" on the free program. As I said, that implies to me that you get a certificate (and not having one is why PGB isn't building an Apple version for me). I did state this earlier, and I'm still not sure if you do/don't get a certificate, and if so then how (specifically how do you do it through openSSL).

Thanks for the helpful info. :-)

• 21. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                  VectorP Level 4

...however that still leaves the question of the openSSL method open.

You appear to still mix up a couple of things.

The 'openSSL method' will create you a private key and a certificate request file. You need such file to upload at your Apple account in order to receive the certificate.

The 'openSSL method' does not create the certificate itself.

Having never done this before, I don't know if I was missing something (config settings for example)

The config (I assume you mean Phonegap config.xml) has absolutely nothing to do with the creation of a .cer file and/or the iOS certificate. You can use the 'openSSL method' without ever even thinking of Phonegap.

Build generates a QR code, from which I can directly download to my Android phone. i.e. no need to put it in Google Play first. I am trying to sort out the certificate issue to see if the same applies to the Apple version (it doesn't build an Apple version without the certificate).

Apples, oranges...and more of that.

1. Of course you don't have to upload any app (for whatever OS) into its Store first to be able to test it. Every serious software company will test locally first, before even starting any publication process.

2. From PGB, you can either download the generated app from the QR code, or from the blue 'download' button, or through the Phonegap Build API (the latter allows for automated builds and pre-Build scripts). The way you download and install the app on your device has nothing to do with the certificate request and the certificate.

3. PGB doesn't build an Android version without a certificate, either. Whenever you select 'no key selected', PGB will include a default debug certificate, which allows you to install the .apk on an Android device. For Apple (.ipa), a development certificate with a mobileprovision file is required, because Apple makes you register your test devices, first. PGB can't include a default certificate in such case, and that's why you need to create a development certificate (and later on a distribution certificate).

Once you have your certificate sorted out with PGB, have you tried downloading directly from the QR code? Or does it not give a QR code for the Apple version?

There are no separate barcodes for each OS. One QR code is sufficient. The server side software is smart enough to sniff the device asking for the app, and it will serve the proper file type and version. However, I would suggest not using the QR code. Downloading the .apk/.ipa allows you to store and re-use that single file, which is important to guarantee that you are testing the same version on all your test devices (and to enable you to make correct backups).

• 22. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                    eyepoker Level 1

Hello...... this may be usefult for Windows devs like myself....I just went through the process a few days ago of getting my Mobile Provision and P12 and blogged about it here - i have to admit I was bouncing around between different things when i wrote it and have been meaning to get back and review it for "workflow legibility" it but it should help fellow Windows users.

RE the more recent QR code question.... I personally ignore it as it means I have to install a QR-reader which I dont care for.. For android i side-load APK's, for iOS I install the app using iTunes. I'm using the hydration feature so thats just a single side load for development, thereafter it knows when there's a new version of the app.

Lastly, yes using PGB means you still need a mac to publish to the appstore, I think though that the Intel XDK (a competitor to PGB, among others) takes care of that for you. I've been meaning to try it but havent yet had time to do so but will in the near future

• 23. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                      donaldnp Level 1

"blogged about it here"

Thanks, that looks helpful (has at least one step that is missing from other doco), but one thing still unclear to me...

"Next use this command to create your CSR (Certificate Signing Request), be sure to replace the email, name, etc with the proper values:

The "etc". I would need to put in values for emailAddress, CN, C, and from a previous step _dev_mykey.key - is that it? Perhaps "mycertificate" too? The usual convention is to put things which need to be substituted in italics, and the stuff that needs to be entered exactly as written in normal font, but you have the whole thing in italics (this was where other doco is lacking too). The example you had immediately under said exactly the same thing as here, and should show something different so as to show where substitutions have been made (remember I have never done any of this before, so step-by-step clarity is needed).

Based on my understanding, I would re-write this as...

req -new -key mykey -out mycertificate -subj “/emailAddress=youremail, CN=yourname, C=yourcountry” -config “openssl.cfg”

(...and then an example with some actual substitutions in it).

Would that be correct?

" I think though that the Intel XDK (a competitor to PGB, among others) takes care of that for you"

That would be handy. I will check it out. Thanks! :-)

• 24. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                        donaldnp Level 1

"The 'openSSL method' will create you a private key and a certificate request file. You need such file to upload at your Apple account in order to receive the certificate.

The 'openSSL method' does not create the certificate itself".

So isn't the "certificate request file" requesting the certificate? Remember not only do I not have a Mac, I have never had to use a certificate before, so I need step-by-step instructions (and this is where a lot of the doco is lacking - there's a lot of assumed knowledge).

"The config (I assume you mean Phonegap config.xml)"

No, I was talking about openSSL.

"Every serious software company will test locally first, before even starting any publication process"

Which is exactly the point of this thread - I'm still trying to work out how to test the Apple version (having successfully tested on Android already).

"The way you download and install the app on your device has nothing to do with the certificate request and the certificate."

Except PGB won't build an Apple version for me to install without a key, for which I need a certificate. That is the point of this thread. What do I need to do, as a Windows user, to get PGB to build an Apple version for me to test. The doco around this is lacking in a major way (as previously mentioned, the official Adobe video's about building an Apple version are being done on an Apple machine, with no mention at all of what to do if you are on a Windows machine).

• 25. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                          eyepoker Level 1

Based on my understanding, I would re-write this as...

req -new -key mykey -out mycertificate -subj “/emailAddress=youremail, CN=yourname, C=yourcountry” -config “openssl.cfg”

Yes, thats correct. if you follow the blog post you will have everything you need. i just ran through it again a few hours ago and it gets you what you need.

the italics formatting... thats just how i set up things... but I'll look at it to see if i can make things more obvious.

• 26. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                            donaldnp Level 1

"I think though that the Intel XDK (a competitor to PGB, among others) takes care of that for you"

The answer to that would be no... :-(

iOS upload to itunes using Intel XDK

On the plus side, at least the Intel forum has actual Intel people answering the questions.

• 27. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                              donaldnp Level 1

Ok, I tried following your blog post. I found that I already had the C++ package you mentioned (I have Windows 10, so must've come with it), and installed the "light" version of SSL (I had originally installed the other one).

When I got to the "req -new -key..." step, I got this error message...

openSSLerror.png

This gets back to my earlier comment that maybe it wasn't working for me due to a config error (which is exactly what this appears to be saying).

• 28. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                                eyepoker Level 1

Are you running the OpenSSL commands from the c:\OpenSSL\bin directory?

The error you posted says "No such file or directory" - so I suspect you did not set an env variable path (of which maybe there is more than one path to set) and that you aren't in your bin directory?

i tried adding the bin to my path environment variable and had only partial success. if I did everything within the bin directory I had no issues.

• 29. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                                  donaldnp Level 1

"I suspect you did not set an env variable path (of which maybe there is more than one path to set) and that you aren't in your bin directory?"

No, I hadn't added the path, as you said in your blog that you had problems with it and ended up doing everything in the bin directory, which is what I was doing, but I guess then that you need both. I'll give that a try later and let you know how I go. Thanks!

• 30. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                                    eyepoker Level 1

FWIW - re my intel xdk comment, I just looked into it and they do not publish to the Apple app store for you. From further reading, per the comments above,  it seems there is no way around having to use a Mac to upload. There are alternatives such as VM's (local or hosted). Personaly, I'm going to use a friends MacBook when the time comes.

Anyway, just wanted to close the loop on what I had implied was possible with a different product but that I've learned is not the case.

• 31. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?

Ok, let's try to get a few things straight.

0. @eyepoker: you have a paid developer account, yes? That's the only way I can see that you are able to use the openssl method to get a CSR and then use the developer portal to upload that CSR in order to generate a certificate.

The rest is @donaldnp:

1. I should have said you need macOS in order to deploy an app to the app store in order to be absolutely clear. However, using macOS on anything other than a Mac is a violation of the license agreement and is not supported. Yes, people have found it possible to set up a VM or a "hackintosh" and were able to deploy to the app store, BUT this is not a supported distribution method, and Apple would be within their rights to reject the deployment. As such, since the only option that is allowed by the license is to run macOS on Mac hardware, my original claim that you need a Mac still stands -- if you want to do it in a way that is supported and doesn't open you up to bigger issues.

2. No one else can submit your app to the store on your behalf. Oh, there are websites out there that claim to do it for you, but they will inevitably ask for your username and password. Bad, bad, bad, on a million levels. Don't do this. (This wasn't brought up in this thread, but these sites are easy to find on Google, and so I wanted to mention it.)

3. When you have a paid developer account, you can use "openssl" (on Windows) to generate the Certificate Request (CSR) that Apple needs in order to send you a signing certificate. When using macOS, there are many options: openssl, keychain (preferred), xcode (often causes headaches, but this is the option I use -- when it works).

4. In order for an app to run on a device, it needs to not only be signed with the certificate, but it needs to include a provisioning profile. When a user buys an app from the App Store, both of these actually come from Apple (Apple re-signs your app and supplies a profile that works on all devices). When you try to install an app in an ad-hoc manner, the device checks the provisioning profile to ensure that it can run the app. The provisioning profile must contain an ID that matches the device's ID in order for this check to succeed. If it doesn't, the app will fail to install.

5. In order to obtain a provisioning profile, you must use either the developer portal (paid accounts only), or use Xcode (free & paid). In the Xcode case, Xcode is detecting the ID of the device you have plugged in so that it can do all the provisioning steps automatically. Only in the paid case do you have the option of adding additional IDs through the developer portal to permit the app to run elsewhere.

6. When it comes to testing your app: Apple insists that you have a development certificate and a development provisioning profile that includes the device ID's on which you intend to install the app. Neither one permits distribution to the App Store (this is a distribution certificate/provisioning profile).

7. As such, in order to test your app on your own devices, you need a way to get the development certificate AND a way to get the development provisioning profile. When using the free option, the only way to do this is to use Xcode (because it can generate the CSR, download the generated certificate, get the device ID, and register that with Apple for you, and then download the profile). When using the paid option, you can generate a CSR in several ways (openssl, keychain on macOS, or Xcode on macOS) and then obtain your cert. Then you can manage devices in the developer portal (again, paid only) and download the profile from there.

8. I suppose it is entirely possible to figure out a way to extract the development certificate and provisioning profile after Xcode has done its thing, but I have no idea if PGB would be able to use it, and the profile itself has a short expiry. And you'd still need a Mac (and keep it going, since you'd have to regenerate the profile). So that doesn't address your issue of using Windows.

9. In short, in order to test: you need to pay for a developer account. $99/year. You're going to have to do this eventually anyway should you wish to upload to the App Store.

10. In short, in order to deploy to the App Store: you need macOS. How you do this is up to you, but the only supported options are: buy a Mac (Mac minis are sufficient), rent a Mac (works very well, environment is often already set up for you, cheap), or borrow a friend's Mac. Any other option is unsupported, may be a violation of the license agreement, and may even be risky (security-wise).

• 32. Re: Apple developer certificate - where do I find it?
                                                                        eyepoker Level 1

@Kerry, yes, I have a paid apple developer account.