• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

stroke effect to shape layer

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to apply a stroke effect to a layer I imported from Illustrator.

I've created vector layer with the layer (so it appears as "outlines"), and can apply stroke if I go to "add" on the timeline but not if I apply it via "generate" it doesn't appear, and also can't apply some effects. I can alter the specifications, i.e stroke width but can't see anything on the screen.

Kind regards

Suzie

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

scribble and stroke works on mask paths, not on shape layer paths. if you want just the mask path for only these type of effects then you don't have to use "Create Shapes from Vector Layer" and instead just leave the layer as is and copy paste the path like I showed you before. another way to do it, if you already converted it to shape and want to keep the shape too, is to copy the path from the shape path parameter to the mask path parameter (you can just create a dummy mask so you will have wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the stroke effects only applies to masks. not shapes. there are 2 ways that I suggest to deal with this:

1. convert the vector layer to shape by right clicking and choosing "Create Shapes from Vector Layer" and this will give you hopefully and exact instance of your layer, as Ae shape layer. there you can add a stroke by toggling the contents parameter in the timeline and Add Stroke

2. copy the path from illustrator to Ae by just clicking copy (Ctrl+C) on the Ai layer and Paste (Ctrl+v) on the Ae layer and now you have a mask path that you can add a stroke effect to

I support the 1st option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for replying,

I've already converted the vector layer to shape using "Create Shapes from Vector Layer".

The new layer created adds "outlines" and has a star to it's name, this means it is a shape layer still maybe?

It wont apply the stroke and no stroke shows on the object but I can alter the specifications in the contents parameter in the timeline.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Suzie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what Ae version EXACTLY. also, please provide a screenshots with the timeline and composition in plain sight and we will get to the bottom of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm using CC, here is a screenshot, hopefully you can see it well enough,

Thanks againx

Screenshot (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now that's it's a shape layer, just add a stroke

ADD->Stroke

you don't need the mask just delete it. and you don't need the Stroke Effect.

read here:

Create and customize shapes and masks in After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei, thanks for taking the time to explain things to me.

I wanted to apply the stroke via the Effects tab at the top of the screen and then go in to Generate, as there are more effects there, such as Scribble which aren't in the "add" tag in the timeline.

Is it not possible to use the effects through Generate then for a vetor shape layer? I can do this with a mask layer.

suzie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scribble and stroke works on mask paths, not on shape layer paths. if you want just the mask path for only these type of effects then you don't have to use "Create Shapes from Vector Layer" and instead just leave the layer as is and copy paste the path like I showed you before. another way to do it, if you already converted it to shape and want to keep the shape too, is to copy the path from the shape path parameter to the mask path parameter (you can just create a dummy mask so you will have where to copy it to)

BTW shape layers also have some very powerful path operations here: wiggle path can create very nice and organic scribble effect to your outlines. but it's not the same as scribble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's brilliant, thanks for that! Exactly what I needed to know and more,

Kind regards

Suzie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

images.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This just saved my life!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This helped me a lot! Thank you!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines