3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 7:10 AM by Snowbound Cam

Can I set multiple font styles for an import from MS Excel into InDesign tables?

Snowbound Cam

Is there a way to "tag" text in MS Excel so that when a table is imported into InDesign each tagged item automatically takes on the style of that "tag"?

I'm working on a project where I'm importing a file of 200+ line entries from MS Excel into an InDesign table, with 3 different font styles in each line.  I need to find a way to be able to format all of the entries as they are imported into the InDesign table so tat I don't have to format each word individually afterward.

Each entry needs to look like this:

Section One -  Section Two -  Section 3 with one to four lines of text that will typically need to wrap
      something similar to this so that it wraps under Section One and Section Two.

I want to avoid them looking like this:

Section One -  Section Two -  Section 3 with one to four lines of text that will only wrap inside

the third column.  This needs to wrap under Section One and
                                                        Section Two like the sample above.

So basically I have 3 different font styles in each line: bold, bold italics, an then the rest of the text is regular.   I know I can set up 3 separate columns, each with their own text style, but I need the text to wrap in a column under Section One and Section Two.

I wasn't sure if I could "tag" the sections somehow in MS Excel to adopt a paragraph style set in InDesign.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.