1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 6:51 PM by jimkahnw

Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

jimkahnw Level 1

I'm at work, processing files in Lightroom and exporting with lightroom corrections to Photoshop for additional adjustments. After saving, the files display in Lightroom with a blue color shift. This does not happen on my system at home, which is almost identical to the one at work. Suggestions, please. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 1.05.41 PM.jpg

• 1. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Jimkahnw,

Please calibrate display of both computer following How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted? - The Lightroom Queen

Also make sure that you select "Edit a copy with Lr adjustments" while sending the image to Photoshop.

Check that a correct color profile is selected in Ps and Lr.

Regards,

Akash

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
            jimkahnw Level 1

Thanks, Akash. I noticed I had sRGB set for Photoshop default color space and AdobeRGB for Lightroom. I changed PS to AdobeRGB. I exported as you suggested, but when the photoshop file was imported back into LR, the color cast remains. Anything else I can try?

• 3. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Your really need to check this first one one machine (to see if the previews differ).

You want to recalibrate and profile the other display incase there's an issue with that profile.

You do NOT want to build a V4 (version 4) ICC profile IF the software has that option.

• 4. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

Oh and only compare the preview in Develop module at 1:1! Not other modules.

• 5. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                  jimkahnw Level 1

I think I've mis-stated my problem. When I export the Lightroom file to Photoshop, make adjustments and save as a -edit file back to LR, there is a color shift in LR. If I open the -edit file in Photoshop all is good. If the -edit file is exported from LR to a new file, the color shift is now in the fle. (the color shift does not occur on my equipment at home). Have I clarified my problem? Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                    Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

LR and PS should display images identically - when they don't, it's almost always because of a defective monitor profile.

As troubleshooting and as a temporary fix, set the monitor profile to sRGB. See the link that Akash gave you.

If this fixes the issue, calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator.

And as suggested by thedigitaldog, don't use a V4 icc profile, if that's an option.

• 7. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                      jimkahnw Level 1

This is not a monitor profile issue. I made a new profile using Sypder5 and the ColorNavigator software bundled with my Eizo disply. Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 5.46.26 PM.jpg

Here's a screen grab of two files in my LR catalog. The one on the right is the original file, a jpg sourced from a stock photography agency. The left image is the file after exporting lightroom adjustments and adjusted in Photoshop; in this case only applying a PhotoKit Sharpener adjustment. As you can see the -edit file has been shifted to the blue. There are no presents in use in LR and both PS and LR are set to AdobeRGB. Thank you for your help. Jim

• 8. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

Are you on Mac or Windows?

If on Windows, have you recently upgraded to Windows 10?

If yes, have you run a calibration since upgrading?

• 9. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                          jimkahnw Level 1

I'm on Mac and ran a calibration just before I made these screen grabs.

• 10. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

Let me get this this straight -

When the image opens in Photoshop, does it still look the way it does in Lightroom?

In other words - does the color change happen only when the file returns to Lightroom?

And what does the image look like if you open it a second time in Photoshop, after it has been returned to Lightroom?

• 11. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

jimkahnw wrote: The left image is the file after exporting lightroom adjustments and adjusted in Photoshop; in this case only applying a PhotoKit Sharpener adjustment.

So you applied the PKS adjustment as a layer, then saved it back as a JPEG (flattened of course) or TIFF with layers? What if you turn OFF the PKS adjustment, same or different color appearance?

• 12. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                jimkahnw Level 1

Open in Photoshop: looks the same

Import to LR, color shift. Export from LR to PS has color shift as the image looks in LR.

• 13. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like a color profile mismatch due to PS warnings being turned off. Try changing your PS Color Settings as shown below:

• 14. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                    jimkahnw Level 1

Apply PKS, save as PSD. We use an Adobe CC workflow and use native Adobe file formats throughout. I exported the LR file to Photoshop and just saved without additional adjustments. When the file opens in LR with the -edit file extension, it displays with a color shift. When the same file is opened in Photoshop, from the Finder, it has no color shift. But, when the file is exported from LR the new file exports with the color shift. NEF and JPGs import normally.

Some anomaly is occurring during the import of Photoshop files. There are no Presets selected for import.

Have I found a bug? Or is there a problem with my LR installation?

Thanks to all for your help.

• 15. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

Please view the image from Photoshop with the PKS layer in Develop module at 1:1. Does it look zoomed in the same as Photoshop zoomed in to the same area?

• 16. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                        jimkahnw Level 1

I checked my color settings and both PS and LR have the AdobeRGB color space selected. Turning Preserve... on had no effect.

• 17. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                          jimkahnw Level 1

The Photoshop file with PKS applied, zoomed to 1:1 looks sharper and bluer in LR than the file opened in Photoshop.

• 18. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1) You also need to have the three Profile Mismatches and Missing Profile boxes checked.

2) You also must CLOSE PS and then REOPEN PS for the setting changes to be applied and take effect.

3) Once completed retry your LR Export or Edit in PS, apply PKS, save as PSD, and then recheck the PSD file in LR.

• 19. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                              jimkahnw Level 1

Also, just uninstalled LR, deleted preferences through the CC app. Reinstallation did not resolve the issue.

• 20. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                jimkahnw Level 1

OK. Made the changes to my Photoshop Color Settings. Quit. Export from LR, save as -edit. When the -edit is displayed in LR, the thumbnail displays as normal and then redraws with the color shift. Huh?

• 21. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

We really need the PSD with layers to inspect on this end.

Does this show up only in this one document or all you've edited the same way?

• 22. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                    jimkahnw Level 1

Now, the issue has gone away! I was prepping files to upload and I can't repeat the issue. I imported a .tif supplied by one of our contributors, exported to Photoshop and saved as -edit file. No color shift when read back into LR. Same with an NEF file. I'm attaching the "problem" file. Please see what you can do with it. Thanks, again.

fototeca9x12-22120957.JPG

• 23. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

jimkahnw wrote:

Now, the issue has gone away! I was prepping files to upload and I can't repeat the issue. I imported a .tif supplied by one of our contributors, exported to Photoshop and saved as -edit file. No color shift when read back into LR. Same with an NEF file. I'm attaching the "problem" file. Please see what you can do with it. Thanks, again.

The image you've provided here is a JPEG and worse, untagged (no embedded ICC Profile). So that's a concern.

• 24. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                        jimkahnw Level 1

This is typical of images supplied by our stock agencies. We get files that are all over the place from early digital cameras, to film scans of all qualities, to files from high-end digital backs. You name it, we get it.

• 25. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                          jimkahnw Level 1

I just ingest into LR, adjust and export to a Photoshop file. The export process applies an AdobeRGB profile. I "finish" the file directly in Photoshop, resizing, applying additional adjustments, if needed, and a PKS for 300dpi at the end. The image is then imported into an Indesign file and from there exported to a PDF for offset. Our PDF routine includes profiles for the press. We stay in RGB until the PDF.

• 26. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

jimkahnw wrote:

This is typical of images supplied by our stock agencies. We get files that are all over the place from early digital cameras, to film scans of all qualities, to files from high-end digital backs. You name it, we get it.

Then they are clueless about how to handle image data. And someone, somewhere has to embed a profile to define it's numeric scale.

I opened your JPEG in my copy of Photoshop who's RGB working space is set to ProPhoto RGB. Try that. IT LOOKS AWFUL. Looks OK when assigned sRGB. But since I didn't create the image, I have no idea if that's the correct color appearance. I suspect it is. It certainly isn't ProPhoto RGB! One of the problems you'll encounter with any ICC aware app like Lightroom and Photoshop is untagged images. LR assumes sRGB so you probably didn't notice it looking bad. That's not the case with Photoshop! It assumes whatever RGB working space you have set in color settings. And that could hose the color appearance depending on how you set PS for the image back in LR. So the very first thing you have to do is tag the image correctly!

• 27. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

jimkahnw wrote:

I just ingest into LR, adjust and export to a Photoshop file. The export process applies an AdobeRGB profile.

Which is WRONG if the image data is supposed to be sRGB! We don't know; it's RGB mystery meat.

Are you clear about why an assigned profile can change the image's color appearance when doing so doesn't alter the RGB values at all? If you're getting untagged images that you know are in Adobe RGB (1998), then exporting them as Adobe RGB is fine. But I suspect these are sRGB images and exporting them in Adobe RGB (1998) buys you nothing. Further, LR assumes untagged images are sRGB so if indeed the scale of the document numbers is Adobe RGB (1998), LR is being lied to and it's lying to you when it shows you the image preview.

• 28. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                                jimkahnw Level 1

As you note, the file has no tag. I'm really not too concerned about reproducing the "right" color, just so it looks good on press. Thankfully, I'm not matching Coca-Cola red. I have to work with files which copy classic paintings from Monet and Van Gogh, among others. I have no idea if the capture is true to the original, unless I'm lucky to have a color bar included, which is seldom. I'm guessing (though I've done a few museums and have become familiar with the artists' color palettes--but I'm working from memory.)

Still, I wonder why I'm have this color shift problem in some instances, going back and forth between LR and PS.

• 29. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

jimkahnw wrote:

As you note, the file has no tag. I'm really not too concerned about reproducing the "right" color, just so it looks good on press.

And to do that, one has to convert to CMYK right? Well the source color space plays a role!

Do this: duplicate the untagged file. Tag one with sRGB then the other with Adobe RGB (1998). Convert to CMYK (that's a loaded gun but let's not go there). Are the CMYK values the same in both? NO!

Untagged RGB and CMYK should be avoided like the plague. But this is now getting off topic.

One of the biggest problems you've got is getting and maybe not handling untagged data correctly.

• 30. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                                    jimkahnw Level 1

I'm working in an AdobeRGB color space. I don't know how they do it, but the pressmen in Hong Kong and Korea seem to get it right. The finished product matches quite well what I see on my display. The CMYK conversion is the last in our RGB workflow. The profile provided by the press people is applied when we export to PDF. One of our printers has us imbed the Ugra Fogra-MediaWedge V3.0. The RGB Indesign file, the released PDF we send overseas and the finished product all match considering the transmission and reflectance differences. I'm using a calibrated Eizo monitor and would recommend it to anyone, damn the budget.

• 31. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

jimkahnw wrote:

I'm working in an AdobeRGB color space.

Well the untagged shot you posted (JEPG) doesn't look the same in Adobe RGB (1998) as it does in my color managed browser here so one of those renderings is wrong. I'm not qualified to say which since it's not my image. Working in Adobe RGB and treating sRGB as Adobe RGB is the wrong answer! But you're getting yourself into a real mess here by receiving untagged data. Enough said.

• 32. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                                        jimkahnw Level 1

I'm still uncertain why the color shift occurs with some, but not all files going back-forth between LR and PS, as I work all the time with untagged files. Any guess?

• 33. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                                          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom always assumes sRGB for untagged images so you don't really have to worry about that. Also, you should be fine as long as you have Photoshop setup to always preserve embedded profiles which is the default. My guess is very simply that you have camera defaults defined in Lightroom by accident (happens very easily!) or you have auto tone turned on. This is consistent with the image shifting appearance after the trip back to Lightroom inside Lightroom after first showing you the correct appearance. To fix this go to Lightroom preferences -> presets. Make sure all Default Develop settings are unchecked but especially the auto tone one. Then hit the "Reset all default Develop settings" button. Also go to Catalog Settings and uncheck "Include Develop Settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files". The latter should not matter for this but I have seen strange unexpected behavior when using "edit original" if it is checked.

• 34. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015
                                                                            jimkahnw Level 1

I took the same file, the high angle image of the Duomo in Florence and processed it the same way on my equipment at home. I use an almost identical computer, the same display, the same OS version, same color spaces and the same software. I exported the processed file to Photoshop, made a few more adjustments and saved the file to the -edit format. The image was read back into LR. The result is as I expected: the -edit.psd file displayed without color shift. So what's with my Lightroom at work? Thanks.

• 35. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

Jao vdL wrote:

Lightroom always assumes sRGB for untagged images so you don't really have to worry about that.

You do (and should) if the data isn't in sRGB.

The untagged image may or may not match that color appearance based on what Photoshop's color settings for RGB working space are set to.

• 36. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

The untagged image may or may not match that color appearance based on what Photoshop's color settings for RGB working space are set to.

If you use "edit in photoshop" and choose the normal option to edit with Lightroom adjustments as the OP did here, Lightroom will instruct camera raw to render the image into the working space defined in the lightroom external editing preferences. It ignores the Photoshop settings. Camera raw also defaults to sRGB for untagged images so there is no possibility of a color change there. Only when the OP would have done edit original could the scenario you describe happen as that makes Photoshop directly open the image instead of going through camera raw. Also the sequence of events described here: Edit in Photoshop -> image the same appearance in Photoshop as in Lightroom -> save the -edit image in Photoshop -> image appears the same in Lightroom but changes after a few seconds, makes it clear that the colorspace settings and the original file being untagged is not the issue but a preset/default develop setting is probably at blame.

• 37. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

Jao vdL wrote:

If you use "edit in photoshop" and choose the normal option to edit with Lightroom adjustments as the OP did here, Lightroom will instruct camera raw to render the image into the working space defined in the lightroom external editing preferences. It ignores the Photoshop settings. Camera raw also defaults to sRGB for untagged images so there is no possibility of a color change there.

The issue is the assumption being potentially wrong. The OP state's he's using Export, not Edit in as well from what I can tell. But we really need a copy of the actual data file to see what's going on, not some untagged JPEG embedded here in the forum.

>>I'm at work, processing files in Lightroom and exporting with lightroom corrections to Photoshop<<

• 38. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

Look at the screenshot in this post: Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015 it shows the -Edit added to the name which is of course what happens with a standard Edit in Photoshop and is actually slightly harder to accomplish using the export panel. I agree that it is unclear whether he uses the edit in Photoshop option or exports using the export panel but I read his posts as saying he did an Edit and is just not precise in the description. Many people call the "edit in Photoshop" option "export to photoshop" for some reason. However, even if he did an actual export, Lightroom would have now tagged the new file with a profile that should make Photoshop correctly interpret the color the same way as the appearance in Lightroom. Indeed there is no change in appearance when going from Lightroom to Photoshop. Then saving from Photoshop should not strip the profile except when he would have jumped through many hoops to make it do that so when reimported into Lightroom there also should be no change except when there are presets applied or camera defaults/auto tone is happening. Untagged starting originals cannot cause these issues as far as I can see. Anyway, the OP should just try to reset the camera defaults and disable auto tone to test this. I've seen this being the problem when this happens quite a few times now on this forum.

Completely agreed that untagged images are very much undesired but Lightroom and camera raw do the usually correct thing with them by assuming sRGB. That's going to be the correct choice 99% of the time.

• 39. Re: Color shift importing Photoshop files, Lightroom CC 2015

Jao vdL wrote:

Completely agreed that untagged images are very much undesired but Lightroom and camera raw do the usually correct thing with them by assuming sRGB. That's going to be the correct choice 99% of the time.

What is troubling is the OP stating: I'm working in an AdobeRGB color space.

What is also troubling is the untagged image he's provided matches what I see in Photoshop when tagged with sRGB not Adobe RGB (1998). But I really have no idea, this many posts in, what's going on with his system. So again, we really need the actual image he's working with in both LR/Photoshop.

1 2 Previous Next