6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 7:27 AM by csgaraglino

Moving files around?

csgaraglino Level 1

So I screwed myself a while back by moving files around and then LR lost them.

I am seeking the "proper" way do move files form my main work machine to an external drive.

Here is my setup.

I have my main machine that I use to do all my editing. When I ingest files - they go to /Photo Projects/[project name] and they also to to a backup external drive /Image Archive/[year]/[project name]

I then catalog the files on my main machine in my Master LR Catalog and the archived files in a separate LR Archive Catalog - this helps on duplicates, but also in case something goes wrong I have a backup..

When I get done with a project, I then move it and all the edited assets to a 3rd external drive - and I have to go in each time and tell LR where I moved everyhting.

Is there a way to let LR move the files and update their new location?

• 1. Re: Moving files around?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, there is a way to do it. But I think a better workflow would be to import the images to where you want them in the first place. Remember that Lightroom doesn't make any changes to your original images. All adjustments are stored in the catalog. So if you have the backup of your images, and backup your catalog on a regular basis you should be secure. There really isn't a need to store "edited" copies of images. I suggest that you consider exporting an edited copy when it's needed to share or to send to a lab for processing. Otherwise, just maintain your master catalog.

But if you really want to move your images as you have described, the easiest way is to copy the folder to the new location using your operating system and then in Lightroom choose to update the folder location. After the update has been performed then you can delete the folder from its original location.

• 2. Re: Moving files around?
            csgaraglino Level 1

First part:

I used to to this, but I am going on 20 years of projects so not I only keep projects that are current or no more then 3 months old on my main machine and then move them to an external drive for that specific year.

Second: This is what I am doing - I move the folder with  Finder then go tell LR where the new projects are - but sometimes htis may include several dozen projects - it's a pain. I'd rather just do it in LR once so it know where things are?

• 3. Re: Moving files around?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have all of those projects arranged within one master folder, then all you would have to do is update the location of the master folder and all of the subfolders would be updated as well.

• 4. Re: Moving files around?
                dj_paige Level 9

I used to to this, but I am going on 20 years of projects so not I only keep projects that are current or no more then 3 months old on my main machine and then move them to an external drive for that specific year.

As Jim Hess suggested, this is rather pointless and extra work. A simpler and better workflow would be simply to put the photos on the external drive, in the appropriate folder, straight out of the camera, and leave them there. Never move them again (how simple is that?) There is one exception, when you need to replace the hard drive or move the photos to a new computer/new hard drive, then of course you move them.

Second: This is what I am doing - I move the folder with  Finder then go tell LR where the new projects are - but sometimes htis may include several dozen projects - it's a pain. I'd rather just do it in LR once so it know where things are?

If you are moving (for example) 10 folders, you will have to Find Missing Folder 10 times. Which is another reason to recommend the much simpler no-moving-folders approach above.

• 5. Re: Moving files around?
                  csgaraglino Level 1

The question was not referring to the validity of my process, but rather "How to move files".

After a little digging - it's actually quite simple - all I have to do is "Drag" the folder form Current Projects to Archived Projects and LR moves everything keeping all settings/changes intact?

Not sure why you guys didn't just tell me that?

• 6. Re: Moving files around?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I don't recommend this method of moving files from one location to another inside of Lightroom, in fact I recommend avoiding it like the plague; so I didn't tell you to do it.

The reason is that there is a rare but catastrophic bug when you move photos this way inside Lightroom. Transferring photos to an external hard drive, photos lost