16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 8:38 PM by Jao vdL

Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?

Vidrazor

Sometime in the middle of my LR projects, my entire creative and production workflow is completely disrupted by some annoying advertisement that brings my entire project to a complete halt. This is incredibly annoying! How can I shut off these obnoxious ads that plaster themselves clear across my screen? Below is a screen grab of the ad.

Thanks for any help with this.

bullshit.jpg

• 1. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

That seems new.

Any chance that it goes away forever after you click "learn" once?

• 2. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
            Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

How are you closing the window now? I've never seen this before. I would expect it to go away for good if you leave the button toggled to off and then click continue. Have you tried that?

• 3. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

That screen usually only comes up when you either start LR for the first time or if you are starting a new catalog. It is the screen to enable the Sync system to LR mobile and a collection in your new catalog.

I have never seen it during an editing session. Are you creating a new catalog when this screen comes up?

LR Mobile screen.PNG

• 4. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
                Vidrazor Level 1

"Any chance that it goes away forever after you click "learn" once?"
                I don't give a crap about this, and I shouldn't have to be forced at gunpoint to have to watch an ad in order to get rid of it.

"I would expect it to go away for good if you leave the button toggled to off and then click continue. Have you tried that?"
                No, it doesn't go away. It pops up again at some in your session when you create another catalog. All you can do is click Continue in order to get back into your session.

"I have never seen it during an editing session. Are you creating a new catalog when this screen comes up?"
                I'm almost always creating a new catalog, however it comes up randomly while I'm the middle of an editing session.

This is incredibly annoying. I also get an ad intermittently popping up when working with Photoshop about Adobe's Stock Gallery services. I couldn't care less about either of these but the ads keep getting shoved down my throat in the middle of my work sessions.

I find it hard to believe none of you are getting these annoying ads when working with LR or PS.

• 5. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I find it hard to believe none of you are getting these annoying ads when working with LR or PS.

Never. Not once.

• 6. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?

Vidrazor wrote:

No, it doesn't go away. It pops up again at some in your session when you create another catalog.

"I have never seen it during an editing session. Are you creating a new catalog when this screen comes up?"
                    I'm almost always creating a new catalog, however it comes up randomly while I'm the middle of an editing session.

This is incredibly annoying. I also get an ad intermittently popping up when working with Photoshop about Adobe's Stock Gallery services. I couldn't care less about either of these but the ads keep getting shoved down my throat in the middle of my work sessions.

Then the real question is why on earth are you creating new catalogs all the time. That is totally counter productive to how LR works and the whole point behind LR.

Actually you aren't in the same "Session" when you create a new catalog. LR has to completely close and re-open (restart) when switching catalogs. Whether that catalog is a new or an older one you are opening (that is after you find the right catalog for the image you are looking for).

I have one catalog that contains all my images. I started that catalog sometime in 2007 with LR V1 and have continued using it through the 5 upgrades of LR to 2015/6.

I use a folder structure on my hard drive along with collections, Smart Collections and keywords to separate my images into different categories.

I suggest you re-think your workflow so you are working with one catalog only and you aren't always creating new catalogs. Once you do that you will never see that screen again.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?

I've been working with, and building on the same catalog I started with as well. I create new catalogs for classes that I teach, tutorials I record, and sometimes for client projects, but my personal work is all done within the same catalog.

I agree messages like this are annoying, but I do believe they are intended for first time users and will go away if you stay in the same catalog.

• 8. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?

Theresa do you use LR Mobile and do you have a collection shared with LR Mobile from your main catalog?

If you are that is why you don't get that Pop Up window when starting a new catalog.

LR Mobile only works with one catalog and IIRC only one collection in that one catalog.

So once you've started using LR M with a catalog there is no need for that window to Pop Up.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?

YES! I love LR Mobile and have a number of collections synced to it. That makes complete sense as why I am not being pestered to do so with this popup screen.

• 10. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
                            Vidrazor Level 1

First, don't blame the end user for the actions of Adobe. I shouldn't have to be subjected to ads from Adobe when I'm working both in LR and in PS. This goes double for the fact that I have to pay monthly for the use of LR and PS. If Adobe wants to let me use LR and PS for free, then I will happily put with these obnoxious and obtrusive ads. But last I checked, I'm paying for this software.

"Then the real question is why on earth are you creating new catalogs all the time. That is totally counter productive to how LR works and the whole point behind LR."

Depends on how you work. I make a catalog for every photo project and archive the images and the catalog together redundantly. I have multiple cameras and projects shot on them, and their particular processes travel with them. The LAST thing I would ever do is have ONE file for all my images. That's suicidal. I would never use "one ring to rule them all". I have been working like this with LR for YEARS, and it ensures I have the project and images together, where they belong.

You are deducting that because I make a new catalog for every project that I get these ads. You are deducting incorrectly. I don't get these ads with every new catalog that I make. It happens randomly and intermittently. I can go through several projects and never see and ad and then BOOM, it pops up, right in the middle of my work.

By your deduction, I suppose I'm also somehow using PS incorrectly when it randomly and intermittently plasters an ad across my workspace telling me how I should join the Adobe Stock Agency as well, right?

However, it's obvious to me that none of you have any idea why this is happening in LR and PS and, more importantly, how to shut this crap off. I will have to write this off as something I'll have to deal until I decide whether I should just trash LR and jump to something like Capture One, dunno. I thank you for your time, and consider this thread closed. Thank you.

• 11. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
                              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, don't blame the end user for the actions of Adobe. I shouldn't have to be subjected to ads from Adobe when I'm working both in LR and in PS. This goes double for the fact that I have to pay monthly for the use of LR and PS. If Adobe wants to let me use LR and PS for free, then I will happily put with these obnoxious and obtrusive ads. But last I checked, I'm paying for this software.

You're paying monthly! Then it is extremely easy to get rid of this. Just log on to your creative cloud account in Lightroom preferences -> mobile and they will be gone. You don't have to sync anything. I have never seen this ad myself but I am sure it gets triggered by restarting Lightroom with a new empty catalog file and not being logged onto your creative cloud account within Lightroom. I completely agree that Adobe should not pester users with this and these ads are way to obtrusive looking at your screenshot and this can only upset and confuse new users.

• 12. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?

First off it is not an Add. It is an Options dialog allowing the End User to Opt In to using LR Mobile. LR Mobile is Free for iOS and Android devices if you are a CC subscriber.

Whether you are a subscriber or not the way to get rid of it is to create a new catalog and when that screen comes up select On and Continue. Follow whatever steps are needed, like signing in with your Adobe ID, and then create a dummy collection. Then link it to that dummy collection in that new catalog. You don't have to actually import any images into that catalog or even if you do import a few images you never have to place them into the collection that is linked to LR Mobile.

Once that is done that Options windows will not appear again when starting a new catalog.

Also you never have to use or even open that catalog again.

Screen will be gone.

• 13. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
                                  Vidrazor Level 1

"Just log on to your creative cloud account in Lightroom preferences -> mobile and they will be gone."you saying just have the

Not sure I'm following that. Are you saying just activate the CC app and this will not happen? I also noticed under the CC app preferences there is a boxed checked for "Show notifications", as shown below. If I uncheck that would this go away?

What about the pop up in PS concerning the Adobe Stock Agency? I assume a similar mechanism is in place for that annoying pop up.

Thanks for your reply.

Clipboard01.jpg

• 14. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?

Not sure I'm following that. Are you saying just activate the CC app and this will not happen? I also noticed under the CC app preferences there is a boxed checked for "Show notifications", as shown below. If I uncheck that would this go away?

No the creative cloud app is not involved in this. In LIGHTROOM's preferences go to mobile and login to your creative cloud account. The login from Lightroom is for some reason separate from the creative cloud app logon.

What about the pop up in PS concerning the Adobe Stock Agency? I assume a similar mechanism is in place for that annoying pop up.

Are you referring to the ad at the bottom of the start workspace screen (the one you see when no file is open). Go to Photoshop's preferences -> General and uncheck "show start workspace when no documents are open"

• 15. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?
                                      Vidrazor Level 1

So I have to log on every time I start LR from preferences? That sounds like a total pain. This whole thing is beginning to get creepy. I've been on CC now since December and these popups started sometime around April or May. Utterly annoying. This CC stuff is beginning to get on my nerves.

"Are you referring to the ad at the bottom of the start workspace screen (the one you see when no file is open)."

No, it's another annoying popup that occasionally gets plastered across my screen when I'm in the middle of a PS session.

Thanks for your reply.

• 16. Re: Is there a way to shut off that obnoxiously annoying ad in Lightroom?

So I have to log on every time I start LR from preferences? That sounds like a total pain. This whole thing is beginning to get creepy. I've been on CC now since December and these popups started sometime around April or May. Utterly annoying. This CC stuff is beginning to get on my nerves.

You should only have to do this once. I work with multiple catalogs all the time (I teach some Lightroom classes once in a while) and have never seen these ads popup.

No, it's another annoying popup that occasionally gets plastered across my screen when I'm in the middle of a PS session.

Really? I have never ever seen a popup for stock image stuff in Photoshop except for the starting screen if you leave the new file selector turned on. I have certainly never ever seen a popup on top of an image while in an image editing session. I would dump the program really fast if that happened.