4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 8:48 AM by Rocket.1978

Cannot open 5D MkIII RAW in LR5.2 with ACR 8.2, please help

Rocket.1978 Level 1

Hello,

Apologies in advance, i'm sure you get lots of these questions every day. I have searched, and so far found no direct answer to this problem... partly I think because I actually have the requisite software and updates so its not lack of compatibility its probably me not understanding LR well enough to be able to change the pre-sets.

Basically I have a LR catalogue with around 20,000 images, taken with various cameras over the last 7 or 8 years, including Canon and Nikon DSLRs and a Panasonic CSC. The most recent camera I use is the Canon 5D mk3. All the other images are taken with older versions of the 5D or other brands older than the mk3.

I am using LR 5.2

I think I am using ACR8.2, this is what LR says - see screenshot below. However my version of Photoshop CS5 Extended v12 says that I am using ACR version 6.0. So i'm a bit confused by that! Any ideas why LR and PS CS5 would think there are different versions of ACR installed? I have tried an update from Adobe but without any success so far, so I presume I am stuck with what I have unless I upgrade to a newer version of PS and/or LR, which i'm reluctant to do because the information from Adobe itself seems to suggest I am using the minimum requisite versions of the apps for my camera model:

There is a table on Adobe website that lists all camera makes and the minimum software requirements. It says for EOS 5D Mk3 I should need LR minimum 4.1 and ACR minimum 6.7, 7.1. (Cameras supported by Adobe Camera Raw)

Back to Lightroom.... when I right click on a RAW image in LR I get the option to:

Edit In > Adobe Photoshop CS5

Edit In > Other Application

Edit In > ....long list of applications which seem to be my CS5 plug-ins e.g. Silver Efex pro

There is no option to edit in ACR. There is no option to simply 'open' the image (only to Edit the image). If I choose the option to Edit in CS5 then the RAW file is automatically converted to a TIFF and opens directly in PS, bypassing the ACR stage entirely. (It also, frustratingly, saves the TIF file in the same location as the original RAW file which is annoying because I tend to keep my RAW/original image files in a seperate library than my edited files). I can change this to some extent, so that it opens as e.g. a PSD file. But really, I want to be able to open a RAW file directly from LR, for it to open firstly in ACR so I can make some minor adjustments, and then subsequenly open in PS for final editing. Then once i've finished I save, usually as a PSD file, in a seperate catalogue.

Please can someone help me understand why I am not able to achieve this workflow given that I seem to have the right updates and versions to all three bits of software for my 5Dmk3 RAW files?

Much appreciated...

T.

• 1. Re: Cannot open 5D MkIII RAW in LR5.2 with ACR 8.2, please help
          dj_paige Level 9

Any ideas why LR and PS CS5 would think there are different versions of ACR installed?

Because that's how it works. Lightroom has ACR built into the software code, PS CS5 does not, and you have install a later version of ACR to have PS CS5 make use of the later version of ACR. So if you update CS5 to ACR 6.7, I believe your problems will be solved.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot open 5D MkIII RAW in LR5.2 with ACR 8.2, please help
            Rocket.1978 Level 1

Thanks DJ, that works... at least, now I can open RAW images directly into ACR and then into PS.

Doesn't seem like they will open directly into ACR from LR though, but it does work from Bridge or Windows Explorer.

I guess i'll have to figure out the best way to adjust my workflow.

Just out of interest, is there any way to either stop LR/PS automatically saving the TIFF/PSD copy of the RAW files thats been opened (from LR into PS)? Or failing that, can the default location be changed at all? i.e. so instead of the TIFF/PSD file being created in the same folder location as the original RAW file (which means I then have to go back and move it once i've finished editing) can I specify a different folder/path?

Thanks again

T.

• 3. Re: Cannot open 5D MkIII RAW in LR5.2 with ACR 8.2, please help
              dj_paige Level 9

Or failing that, can the default location be changed at all?

As far as I know, the answer is NO

so instead of the TIFF/PSD file being created in the same folder location as the original RAW file (which means I then have to go back and move it once i've finished editing)

I object to the wording "have to". You choose to. It is a workflow decision that you make, and is in my opinion, completely unnecessary with Lightroom to have TIFF/PSD in folders separate from the RAWs. I see no benefit from this extra work. "Extra work" and "no benefit" are not words I like to hear together.

• 4. Re: Cannot open 5D MkIII RAW in LR5.2 with ACR 8.2, please help
                Rocket.1978 Level 1

"Extra work" and "no benefit" are not words I like to hear together.

Are you saying that its not a limitation to have files saved to a pre-determined location and to a pre-determined format, even before one has started working on them and, potentially, made a decision about what they want the finished product to be?

No other applications that I use work in this way, though appreciate my experience may be limited.