5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 1:52 AM by Dative

GREP Quandary

Dative Level 1

A bit of background before I pose the question I'm here for.

In the InDesign document I'm working on I've set up a paragraph style containing purely GREP styles that a large number of other paragraph styles are based on, this means adding a GREP alters the rest of the styles, which so far is working for me.

I've hit a slight snag, I want to italicise 'c.' using grep but I have multiple different type weights, is there a way to set it to just change it to the italic version of whatever weight I'm using without having to break everything from the 'based on' and add individual GREP styles for each different typeface?

• 1. Re: GREP Quandary
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ideally, that's how you want to set up your character styles all the time -- set as few parameters as necessary. In this case define a style who only parameter is to set italics and apply any way you like -- GREP, nested, manually, find/change, and it will do nothing other than change the text to which it applied to the italic version of whatever face and size is specified elsewhere.

Keep in mind that if you apply this style to text using a font that does not have a defined italic style available it will generate a missing font. Also keep in mind that GREP styles are cumulative.

• 2. Re: GREP Quandary
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

… but the last Grep style (at the bottom of the list) could have the last word!  [ not sure of this litteral translation from French!  ]

• 3. Re: GREP Quandary
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You can't. You can only apply one new font style with a GREP style, and it's indifferent on what the old formatting is. Applying a character style with a GREP style is cumulative (contrary to "regular" character styles) and so you can "add" underline to something that is in Italics – but since Italics shares the same attribute slot with Bold and Bold Italics, it will always override that, not 'add' "Italics" to "Bold".

(... if only it was possible – that'd take care of half my standard list of character styles.)

• 4. Re: GREP Quandary
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm guessing I misunderstood what the OP meant by multiple weights.

• 5. Re: GREP Quandary
                  Dative Level 1

Yeah I had assumed that might be the case, I was hoping that there was some InDesign Wizardry I could utilise. It's slightly irritating that if I have a paragraph style 'based on' another paragraph style and it's taking the GREP's from the one it's based on, if I try and add a GREP style, it then no longer syncs with the 'based on' style anymore. Is there no way around this?