3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 10:31 AM by BarbBinder

Table of Contents - Not Listing Overflow Table Heading

Tom Grieve

Hey,

In my ToC I have listed two styles:

1 - ToC Page Heading

2 - ToC Table Heading

I also have my Table headers set up properly - so when a Table flows to a second page - the table headers appear in that second page as they should. The tables are large - and no avoiding the overflow. I think the principle is called "Threading Text" - but it works with tables also.

In the majority of instances - the set-up works perfectly.

HOWEVER when the table flows to a second page - the TocTable Header does not appear in the regenerated Table Of Contents.

For example, the ToC looks like this:

Electrical                            Page 6

Machine X - Y - Z               Page 6

Electrical                            Page 7

Electrical                              Page 8

When it SHOULD look like this:

Electrical                            Page 6

Machine X - Y - Z               Page 6

Electrical                              Page 7

Machine X - Y - Z                    Page 7

Electrical                             Page 8

Machine X - Y - Z               Page 8

Is this possible? I've looked at everything - and can't find any options.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Table of Contents - Not Listing Overflow Table Heading
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Clarifying the question: Machine X-Y-Z is the table title, and it appears in a (repeating) heading row at the top of a multi-page table? And you want each occurrence of the table header to appear in the TOC, and not just the first occurrence?

I don't think it will work that way. Heading rows are only editable on the first page of a table: the other pages just repeat the info but it's not accessible. It would work if you put the table title above the table (not in it), and manually repeated it at the top of the second and subsequent pages. It's more work, but it will get the result you are looking for. You did mention that it doesn't happen that often, so maybe that's a doable workflow for you.

That said, most TOCs take you to the first page of a chapter, section, subsection and table and don't repeat the entry when the chapter, section, subsection or table takes up more than one page. If I were looking at your TOC and wanted see the section on Electrical, I'd have to stop and wonder which page to go to first. I think I'd eventually pick the first one.

• 2. Re: Table of Contents - Not Listing Overflow Table Heading
            Tom Grieve Level 1

Your answer is great. It is extra work - but I will do it. The reason I want it listed on each page is that I don't want there to be confusion when a different table starts halfway down a page. It's a parts catalog and I'd just as soon cover all the bases than follow journalistic norms better reserved for more formal items.

The reason I want it listed on each page is that I don't want there to be confusion when a different table starts halfway down a page. It's a parts catalog and I'd just as soon cover all the bases than follow journalistic norms better reserved for more formal items.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Table of Contents - Not Listing Overflow Table Heading
              BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Great! Glad you are back on track!