3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 3:20 PM by John Waller

Creative Suite Standard [Will CS(1) software run on OS X 10.11.5?]

mikem38786089

I currently have Adobe Creative Suite Standard - The original one. I want to buy a new Mac Book Pro 13" with OSX 10.11.5+Life operating system. Are these two compatible? I'm a retired graphic designer@@. Suggestions please? Mike

• 1. Re: Creative Suite Standard
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are these two compatible?

No.

CS (also known as CS1) was written for Macs running PowerPC processors.

Apple switched to Intel processors in 2006. The two are incompatible. PowerPC software will not run on Intel chips.

Apple's transition to Intel processors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple did briefly include a translation utility known as Rosetta in the OS X operating system to enable PowerPC apps to run on Intel based Macs but that was discontinued in OS X 10.7 (Lion).

Rosetta (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 2. Re: Creative Suite Standard [Will CS(1) software run on OS X 10.11.5?]
            mikem38786089 Level 1

Thanks for your response John. I currently have a Imac G5 with an Intel Core Duo Processor and I'm on OS10.6.8. This will run Adobe Creative Suite1. As mentioned, I want to buy a Mac Book Pro 13" with OSX 10.11.5+Life operating system which has an Intel Core i5 processor. With this info, will the Mac Book Pro 13" that I'm looking to buy run Creative Suite1? Any other options without having to upgrade to Creative Cloud? Mike

• 3. Re: Creative Suite Standard [Will CS(1) software run on OS X 10.11.5?]
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I currently have a Imac G5 with an Intel Core Duo Processor and I'm on OS10.6.8. This will run Adobe Creative Suite1.

That's correct.

OS X 10.6.8 includes the "Rosetta" translator, mentioned in my previous post, which can dynamically translate PowerPC code into Intel code so that Macs with Intel chips can run PowerPC apps such as CS1.

OS X 10.6.8 was the last version of OS X to include and support Rosetta.

OS X 10.7 onwards (up to and including the current 10.11.x El Capitan) cannot run PowerPC apps because those OS X versions do not include or support Rosetta.

With this info, will the Mac Book Pro 13" that I'm looking to buy run Creative Suite1?

No. OS X 10.11.5 (El Capitan) does not include Rosetta and never will.

No Rosetta, no PowerPC apps, such as CS1, will run.

PowerPC apps are legacy software apps which will not run in any shape or form on modern Macs. No workarounds.

Any other options without having to upgrade to Creative Cloud? Mike

Adobe still reluctantly sells CS6 but they greatly discourage you from buying it.

You have to call them and plead your case. Refer last paragraph at the link below

Creative Cloud now includes Creative Suite Master Collection and Design Premium features

It's old software, no longer being updated by Adobe and Camera Raw finishes at version 9.1.1 meaning Photoshop cannot read Raw files from new cameras. You're also limited to the feature set which shipped in 2012. New features are Cloud only.

Why spend so much money on outdated, insecure software with a frozen set of features?