3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 10:32 PM by Roei Tzoref

Path Morphing Problem

delag91

Hi,

I'm running into a problem when trying to morph two shapes (created using Illustrator).

Here's the steps I've taken:  (Problem is Bolded)

1. Imported two Illustrator files into AE, and put them onto timeline in two separate layers.
      2. Converted both into Shapes from Vector Layers
      3. Keyframed Paths for both shape layers.
      4. Copy/Pasted the Path from Shape1 onto the timeline for Shape2.
      5. Changed the "First Vertex Point" for both Paths so that they're in corresponding positions.
      6. After Step #5, the morph between the two Paths still retained the 'twisty-effect' during Interpolation. 

I did some research and found out that the other Vertices were probably not numbered clock-wise because of I made them in Illustrator.
      7. To remedy the Vertices problem, I copied Path from Shape2 and pasted it into Illustrator, where I used the "Reverse Path Direction" tool under the Attributes Panel. (To do this, I pasted the path, then pressed Command-8, then switched the path direction.)
      8. After the Path direction was reversed, I pasted the Path for Shape2 back into the timeline for Shape1, and got the desired morph that I wanted (a lot more natural, not-twisty)
      9. However, now the Path for Shape2 moves to Upper-Left Hand part  of the Composition during Interpolation and I don't know why.  I've checked and there are no keyframes enabled for position movement.  (Anchor point for Path intersects Top-Left of Comp)

When I attempt to drag the Path back into it's normal position, the entire layer is moved.

The problem seems to be remedied when I paste the Path into a different Group within the same layer, however, I still have to manually adjust the positioning.  This work-around is problematic for the project I am working on because the Shapes I am working with have multiple Paths. and dragging each one back into position manually is not precise, nor is it time-efficient.  Note:  I haven't been able to enter-in position values numerically to fix this.  It's all been through physical dragging.)

What is causing the Path to move during Interpolation and how can I prevent it?

I hope I've been able to articulate the problems I'm having.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Also, some other Info:

Computer:  Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Late-2012)
      Processor:  2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory:     8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3  (6.5GB dedicated to Active Adobe Products)

Graphics:   Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Using After Effects CC (13.5.0.347)

Thanks, again!

• 1. Re: Path Morphing Problem
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

about Path Morphing:

to create smoother transitions from shape to shape, you could use Mask interpolation - it creates intermediate key-frames between two path key-frames. read about it here: Managing and animating shape paths and masks in After Effects . unfortunately, this is for Mask paths and not Shape paths. but you're smart - you know you can copy the path to a mask, do your thing, and then paste it back. or maybe you don't need the shape anyway. see if that works.

about Path Offset:

I was able to recreate the problem. here is how I see it: when you convert you Ai layers to Ae shapes, they get certain position attributes so that they will be placed in the same position. notice if you click UU you get the modified properties:

so when you paste the path from illustrator you are pasting on a layer that has an offset of transformations and that's why your layer is way up there.

this I don't get:

"To remedy the Vertices problem, I copied Path from Shape2 and pasted it into Illustrator, where I used the "Reverse Path Direction" tool under the Attributes Panel. (To do this, I pasted the path, then pressed Command-8, then switched the path direction.)"

you don't need to copy paste from Ae to Ai and back, when you can copy paste the original layer from Ai to Ae. this requires copy-pasting just once. you can copy paste paths from Ai to Ae and from Ps to Ae too.

these are my suggested workarounds (pick one! not all of them):

1. inverse the path in Ai - save the file, and convert the layer to shape again - this way you don't have to copy paste the path from Ai, but only from Ae.

2. reset the transformations and shape group position properties. then copy paste will be exactly where your path is.

3. if you don't really need shapes, you can work with layer masks instead and copy paste like crazy from Ai with no offset

• 2. Re: Path Morphing Problem
            delag91 Level 1

AH, THANK YOU!

I know I had checked the Transform Properties of the Layer and Group for the first Shape, but had only checked the Layer Transform for the Path that I pasted it in from Illustrator (which set new properties).

As far as the path direction, yes one step too many.  makes more sense to paste once from Illustrator.  And even then, when I reverse the path direction from Illustrator before bringing it in to AE, that seems to fix the vertices problem as well. 

Again, thank you so much.  Multiple groups and layers to keep track of -  overlooked it!  Have a good one!

• 3. Re: Path Morphing Problem
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

You're welcome! . Shapes are powerful but dealing with that many timeline parameters can be messy.