2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 1:50 PM by Roei Tzoref

Dangle effect with separated shape layers

destyniee58785599 Level 1

Hello All,

I have an AE project in which there is supposed to be a light bulb on a chain that clicks on with a pulling action. The only part seen is afterward when both the pull chain and lightbulb dangle after the pull. I have tried puppet pin tool, but it doesn't work as the chain is represented from multiple shape layers (see picture). I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or a solution.

Thanks!Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 10.54.26 AM.png

• 1. Re: Dangle effect with separated shape layers
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Try the DUIK script to rig up a simple linear chain with limited rotation joints.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Dangle effect with separated shape layers
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

there are couple of gotchas with using puppet on shape layers:

1. a shape layer is continuously rasterized by default. this means the render order is transformations BEFORE effects and this can cause big problems for puppet if you are planning to use scale or position. so probably the first thing you should do is pre-compose the shape layer

from the help files: Animating with Puppet tools in After Effects

2. if you have disjointed parts on the same layer (for example a word of Ae's text layer, or the cable, or the light bulb), puppet will not work as expected because puppet creates a mesh from the alpha channel. so say for example you have the word T E X T. if you try to puppet it, you will see the boundaries are around each letter and not as a whole object. what you should do is create a mask around your shape and this will give puppet the alpha to create the mesh from. you can now create your pins and immediately delete the mask .

from the help files: Animating with Puppet tools in After Effects

so now that we know all this, lets see a live example similar to your project:

say this is your cable

1. Pre-Compose (like I said, if you don't plan to use position or scale, you don't have to. but it's good practice)

2. draw a general mask around the pre-comp (you can set it to none or not, doesn't matter we will get rid of it soon)

3. use the puppet tool and set your pins

4. delete your mask, and puppet like there's no tomorrow

5. take a break!