1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 10:34 AM by Obi-wan Kenobi

How to quickly change cell stroke weight

guillaumeb44426931

Hi there,

I'm actually working on souscription forms based on tabs. At the moment, the strokes are 1pt weight around each label and content to be added cells. I'm looking for a quick way to set them at 0.5pt.

I've tried the script presented at this address : Script to find/change stroke in tables , but when I launch it returns an error 30614 (incorrect object)

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"   set currWeight to 1   set newWeight to 0.5   set mytablelist to every cell of every table of every text frame of active document   repeat with x from 1 to (count items of mytablelist)   set myCell to item x of mytablelist   if the bottom edge stroke weight of myCell is currWeight then   set bottom edge stroke weight of myCell to newWeight   end if   if the diagonal line stroke weight of myCell is currWeight then   set diagonal line stroke weight of myCell to newWeight   end if   if the left edge stroke weight of myCell is currWeight then   set left edge stroke weight of myCell to newWeight   end if   if the right edge stroke weight of myCell is currWeight then   set right edge stroke weight of myCell to newWeight   end if   if the top edge stroke weight of myCell is currWeight then   set top edge stroke weight of myCell to newWeight   end if   end repeat end tell

I have the same answer (error 30614).

I don't have any idea of what happened.

Is there someone nice enough to help resolve this problem?

Kind regards,

Guillaume

• 3. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
          Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Try this:

s = app.documents.everyItem().stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem();  
          s.topEdgeStrokeWeight = s.bottomEdgeStrokeWeight = s.rightEdgeStrokeWeight = s.leftEdgeStrokeWeight = 0.5 ;  

• 4. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
            guillaumeb44426931 Level 1

Unfortunately, I've already tried this one and I have an issue with it .

The whole document is made with tables . To create some space between the cells, there is a blank cell with 0pt strokes. When I apply this last script, the 0pt strokes become 0,5pt. That's why I'm looking for a way to do a "find & replace" in order to modify only the 1pt strokes, not the others.

Thx anyway

• 5. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
              karthiks94217840 Level 2

HI,

Try this

if(app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.length>0) 

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().bottomEdgeStro keWeight = 0;  //Fix your value here

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().topEdgeStrokeW eight = 0;  //Fix your value here

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().leftEdgeStroke Weight = 0;  //Fix your value here

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().rightEdgeStrok eWeight = 0;  //Fix your value here

Best wishes

KS

• 6. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                tpk1982 Level 4

hope this will give you the solution:

var myStrokeWeightToFind = 1; 

var myTables = app.documents[0].stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().getElements(); 
                for(var i = 0; i < myTables.length; i++) { 
                    var myCells = myTables[i].cells; 
                    for (var j = 0; j < myCells.length; j ++) { 
                        if (myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind || 
                        myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind || 
                        myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind || 
                        myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind) { 
                            myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight=myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight=myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight=myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight=0.5 
                            } 
                        } 
                    } 

• 7. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Hi,
                  Same issue here as the 0pt strokes are turned into 0,5pt strokes.

Thx anyway,

Kind regards

• 8. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

HI,

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I still have a javascript error (see attached).

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 15.10.27.jpg

• 9. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Maybe:

var myTables = app.documents[0].stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().getElements();   

if (myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind &&  
                              myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind && 
                                  myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight=myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight=myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight=myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight=0.5   
                                  }   
                          }   
                      } 

• 10. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Thx, It partially works.

I mean It works until I have a Javascript error (please see attached). Then, It stopped working.

Thanks anyway.

Kind regards

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 15.38.03.jpg

• 11. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Surely more simple but this works for me:

var myStrokeWeightToChange = 3;   

myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight = myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight = myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight = myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange   
                                      }   
                                  if (myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind &&  
                                      myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight = myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight = myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight = myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange   
                                      }   
                              }   
                          }

if (myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToChange &&  
                                      myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToChange && 
                                      myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToChange) {   
                                      myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange   
                                      }   
                              }   
                          } 

… in these cases:

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 15.46.35.png

Sorry! I'm a [JS] newbie! 

• 12. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                            var myStrokeWeightToFind = 3;   
                            var myStrokeWeightToChange = 1;   

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, [], UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Change Stroke Weight!");

function main() {

for (var i = 0; i < myTables.length; i++) {   

}   
                                      if (myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind &&  
                                         }   
                                  }   

if (myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToChange &&  
                                          myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToChange && 
                                          myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToChange) {   
                                         }   
                                  }   
                            } 

}

More readable + Undo! 

• 13. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Thank you very much but there is still this error 30614 (see attached).

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 16.39.06.jpg

Really strange, all the previous scripts work until this specific table  :

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 16.41.05.jpg

The scripts seem to work for some of the horizontal lines and then return the error.

Many thanks.

Guillaume

• 14. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                                Skemicle Level 3

Try this? It may or may not work but it is my attempt =)

//Scripted by Skemicle

if (parseFloat(app.version) < 6)

main();

else

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Change stroke weight");

function main() {

var curweight = 1,

changeweight = .5,

tables = app.documents.everyItem().stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem(),

top = tables.topEdgeStrokeWeight,

bottom = tables.bottomEdgeStrokeWeight,

right = tables.rightEdgeStrokeWeight,

left = tables.leftEdgeStrokeWeight;

if(top == curweight){top = changeweight};

if(bottom == curweight){bottom = changeweight};

if(right == curweight){right = changeweight};

if(left == curweight){left = changeweight};

}

• 15. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Hi Skemicle,

I think the way is to apply a label to each cell whose the four strokes are 1 pt!

After that, it could be easy the find each cell with this label and change its strokes!

… But I'm truly actually unable to write it! 

• 16. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Always a problem on the left external side! 

var myStrokeWeightToChange = 0.5;   

myCells = app.documents.everyItem().stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().getElements();  

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, [], UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Change Stroke Weight!");

function main() {

for (var j = 0; j < myCells.length; j++) {   

if (myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind){ 
                                                  myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange   
                                                 }   
                                              if (myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind){ 
                                                 }   
                                              if (myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind){ 
                                                  myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange   
                                                 }   
                                    //          if (myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind){ 
                                    //              myCells[j].letfEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange   
                                    //             }   
                                          }   

} 

• 17. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Guillaume,

here is my take on this.

Since I cannot test with your document, I implemented a little error log.

And I did parted the task into two steps:

1. First find all the cells with 1 pt strokes on all sides and write their index numbers to an array

2. Then loop that array and do the changes in one go

The script will run with doScript() so that all actions can be undone in one go.

If something goes wrong in the second part, the script should write an error log to the JavaScript Console of your ESTK App.

/*
                                          Script by Uwe Laubender

If all the four stroke weights of a cell are the value of var weight,
                                          write the index of the cell to an array.

Then loop through that array and apply a new stroke weight to the cell.
                                          For top, bottom, left and right in one go by using the property properties of a cell.
                                      */

/**
                                      * @@@BUILDINFO@@@ FindAndChangeStrokeWeight-CELLS-of-DOCUMENT.jsx !Version! Tue Aug 16 2016 20:51:12 GMT+0200
                                      */

// Let's run this in function main and a doScript
                                      // so that you can undo the script's action in one go:

app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevels.interactWithAll;
                                      app.doScript
                                          (

main,
                                          ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT,
                                          [],
                                          UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT,
                                          "Change Stroke Weight"

);

function main()
                                      {

// Weight to find:
                                      var weight = 1;
                                      // New weight to set:
                                      var newWeight = "0.5 pt";

// Some checks first:
                                      if(app.documents.length == 0){return};
                                      if(app.documents[0].stories.length == 0){return};
                                      if(app.documents[0].stories.everyItem().tables.length == 0){return};

// Some variable declarations:

var doc = app.documents[0];
                                      var allStories = doc.stories.everyItem();

// IMPORTANT NOTE:
                                      // Variable allCells will NOT CONTAIN cells of
                                      // 1. tables inside cells
                                      // 2. tables inside footnotes

// To get allCells will take a while, if there are many tables with many cells
                                      // So be patient!
                                      var allCells = allStories.tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().getElements();

// resultArray will store the found index numbers of the allCells array:
                                      var resultArray = [];

// The changeValueObject, that will later be applied as value
                                      // for the properties-property of all found cells:
                                      var changeValueObject =
                                      {
                                          bottomEdgeStrokeWeight : newWeight ,
                                          leftEdgeStrokeWeight : newWeight ,
                                          rightEdgeStrokeWeight : newWeight ,
                                          topEdgeStrokeWeight : newWeight
                                      };

// Loop through the big allCells array.
                                      // If either of the four conditions is false, loop on to the next cell.
                                      for(var n=0;n<allCells.length;n++)
                                      {
                                          // Four filters:
                                          if(allCells[n].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight != weight){continue};
                                          if(allCells[n].leftEdgeStrokeWeight != weight){continue};
                                          if(allCells[n].rightEdgeStrokeWeight != weight){continue};
                                          if(allCells[n].topEdgeStrokeWeight != weight){continue};

// Here we gather the filtered out cell's index number only:
                                          resultArray[resultArray.length++] = n;
                                      };

/*
                                          // At this stage of the script
                                          // we could check the resultArray by e.g. using:

$.writeln(resultArray.join("\r"));

// to write a column of index numbers to the JavaScript Console
                                          // of the ESTK (ExtendScript Toolkit App)

*/

// FINALLY
                                      // Here we do the action
                                      // We loop the resultArray and apply the desired values for IN ONE GO
                                      // by using the properties-property and apply an object as value:

for(var n=0;n<resultArray.length;n++)
                                      {
                                          // If something goes wrong for whatever reason
                                          // a error log is written to the JavaScript Console of the ESTK:
                                          try{
                                              allCells[resultArray[n]].properties = changeValueObject;
                                          }catch(e)
                                          {
                                              $.writeln(resultArray[n]+"\t"+e.message);
                                          }
                                      }

};

Regards,
                                      Uwe

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 18. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Cool! Thanks! It works fine! [ of course!  ]

Uwe, a little question about mine (post#16) [… if time!]:

Why it doesn't work?    [for my learning!]

• 19. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Hi Obi-wan,

I don't know why your script snippet in #16 is not working for you.
                                          With a simple sample table in a document your code is working for me.

Could you write more about the problems you found with your snippet?

You said: "Always a problem on the left external side!"

What does that exactly mean?

Can you provide screen shots before/after running your snippet?
                                          Or better: Can you provide a link to a sample document that I can do a test with?

Regards,
                                          Uwe

• 20. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

The script launched from ESTK failed at line 21:

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 21.41.55.png

If I desactive (as comments) the lines 21-22-23, the script works but the left side of the table is not treated!  Weird! 

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 21.42.34.png

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 21.55.10.png

• 21. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                                              Skemicle Level 3

I have a script that works. Though i feel like it is basically the same as my previous script plus a for loop

/*

Scripted by Skemicle

*/

if (parseFloat(app.version) < 6)

main();

else

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Change Stroke Weight");

function main() {

var doc = app.documents[0];

var story = doc.stories.everyItem();

var cell = story.tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().getElements();

var curweight = 1; //enter the stroke weight you want to change from here

var newweight = .5; // enter the desired stroke weight here

for(c=0;c<cell.length;c++){

if(cell[c].topEdgeStrokeWeight == curweight){

cell[c].topEdgeStrokeWeight = newweight;

}

if(cell[c].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight == curweight){

cell[c].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight = newweight;

}

if(cell[c].rightEdgeStrokeWeight == curweight){

cell[c].rightEdgeStrokeWeight = newweight;

}

if(cell[c].leftEdgeStrokeWeight == curweight){

cell[c].leftEdgeStrokeWeight = newweight;

}

}

}

• 22. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

I Have a similar problem with it. The script failed on line 24! 

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 21.57.46.png

• 23. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                                                  Skemicle Level 3

If you rearranged the script and put the left side change above the right side; would it still error on the left or would it make it to the right before it caused the error?

• 24. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Hi Obi-wan.

Ah. Now I see.

Your script has a problem with the fourth if-condition.

The error message from my German InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 is:

"Objekt unterstützt Eigenschaft oder Methode letfEdgeStrokeWeight nicht"

Roughly translated to:

"Object does not support property or method letfEdgeStrokeWeight"

So I think, the big difference between your script and mine here is:

1. That my script is using a different filter method

2. That my script will apply all four values of all four properties in one go.

It was a just a gut feeling, an instinct that led me to the conclusion to separate the detection of the cell and the action I want to apply.

I tried to rewrite your script a bit but I failed. This time on the property bottomEdgeStrokeWeight.

Why the error? Don't know…

Here the not working code where I tried to bind all the four if-conditions together:

myCells = app.documents.everyItem().stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().getElements();

function main()
                                                    {
                                                        var changeValueObject =
                                                        {
                                                            bottomEdgeStrokeWeight : myStrokeWeightToChange ,
                                                            leftEdgeStrokeWeight : myStrokeWeightToChange ,
                                                            rightEdgeStrokeWeight : myStrokeWeightToChange ,
                                                            topEdgeStrokeWeight : myStrokeWeightToChange
                                                        };

for (var j = 0; j < myCells.length; j++)
                                                        {  

if(
                                                                myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight == myStrokeWeightToFind &&
                                                                myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeigh == myStrokeWeightToFind &&
                                                                myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight == myStrokeWeightToFind &&
                                                                myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight == myStrokeWeightToFind
                                                                )
                                                                {
                                                                    myCells[j].properties = changeValueObject;
                                                                };

};
                                                    };

Regards,
                                                    Uwe

• 25. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                                                      Skemicle Level 3

That or the fact that "le'tf'Edge" t and f should be flipped.. that one's hard to see.

• 26. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                                                        Skemicle Level 3

and the ommission of the t of weight in the bottom for Laubender 's rewrite

• 27. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Hi Skemicle, sorry, I don't get it.

Where do you see a typo in the last code snippet I posted?
                                                          I cannot detect one.

What do you mean by "that"?

Regards,
                                                          Uwe

• 28. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Skemicle wrote:

and the ommission of the t of weight in the bottom for Laubender 's rewrite

That's a typo. Yes. Thank you for posting.

Uwe

• 29. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

After correcting that typo (adding the "t") the script is working!

Thank you,
                                                              Uwe

• 30. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                                                                Skemicle Level 3

"That" was referring to your suggestion about using different filter methods.

and in your second if statement on line 23 "myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeigh == myStrokeWeightToFind &&"  it is missing the t for weight myCells[j].letfEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange"

• 31. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Here the corrected snippet Obi-wan should test:

function main()
                                                                  {
                                                                      var changeValueObject =
                                                                      {
                                                                          bottomEdgeStrokeWeight : myStrokeWeightToChange ,
                                                                          leftEdgeStrokeWeight : myStrokeWeightToChange ,
                                                                          rightEdgeStrokeWeight : myStrokeWeightToChange ,
                                                                          topEdgeStrokeWeight : myStrokeWeightToChange
                                                                      };

for (var j = 0; j < myCells.length; j++)
                                                                      { 

if(
                                                                              myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight == myStrokeWeightToFind &&
                                                                              myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight == myStrokeWeightToFind &&
                                                                              myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight == myStrokeWeightToFind &&
                                                                              myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight == myStrokeWeightToFind
                                                                              )
                                                                              {
                                                                                  myCells[j].properties = changeValueObject;
                                                                              };

};
                                                                  };

Regards,
                                                                  Uwe

• 32. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Skemicle wrote:

"That" was referring to your suggestion about using different filter methods.

and in your second if statement on line 23 "myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeigh == myStrokeWeightToFind &&" it is missing the t for weight myCells[j].letfEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange"

Now I see.
                                                                    My missing "t" and Obi-wan's typo with "tf" instead of "ft".

Thank you very much for your eagle eyes!

Uwe

• 33. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Yes to post#25!  … but the result is the same!

Uwe, It's cool you confirm mine can't work! Weird but cool!

Yours works nice but only if we have the 4 sides! 

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 22.32.41.png

• 34. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Obi-wan Kenobi wrote:

Yours works nice but only if we have the 4 sides!

I thought that was the base condition Guillaume was after ?!

Am I wrong?

Uwe

• 35. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

… And the result (at post#32):

Capture d’écran 2016-08-16 à 22.39.09.png

• 36. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Yes!  Right! 

If time, I would try to include an UI allowing the op to choose what beginning and final weight, including color and aspect (line, dots …), and what side (top, left, bottom and right).

• 37. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Obi-wan Kenobi wrote:

… And the result (at post#32):

Urgs…

I have to see that document to download and for testing.
                                                                              But not now. I'm half asleep before my screen.

Uwe

• 38. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight

Skemicle [at post#23]: I've tried and same bad result!

• 39. Re: How to quickly change cell stroke weight
                                                                                  Skemicle Level 3

Here you go Obi-wan

var myStrokeWeightToFind = Number(prompt("What is your starting weight?", 1,"Current Stroke Weight"));
                                                                                  var myStrokeWeightToChange = Number(prompt("desired result?", 0.5,  "End Stroke Weight"));

myCells = app.documents.everyItem().stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().getEle ments();   

function main() { 

for (var j = 0; j < myCells.length; j++) {
                                                                                        if (myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind){  
                                                                                            myCells[j].topEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange
                                                                                           }
                                                                                        if (myCells[j].bottomEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind){  
                                                                                           }
                                                                                        if (myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind){  
                                                                                            myCells[j].rightEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange
                                                                                           }
                                                                                        if (myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight === myStrokeWeightToFind){  
                                                                                            myCells[j].leftEdgeStrokeWeight = myStrokeWeightToChange
                                                                                           }
                                                                                    }

1 2 Previous Next