8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 1:56 AM by Mohit Goyal

Batis profiles

jackm137

I'm using the 25mm and 85mm Batis lenses with the Sony a6300. The Library Module knows I'm using a Batis lens and also which one. The Develop Module does not know this. If I check "Enable Profile Corrections" Setup: Auto lists the Lens Profile Make as None and the message "Unable to locate a matching profile automatically." appears. When I select "Zeiss" from the pulldown menu, the correct Batis profile pops up and the info message reads "Built-in Lens Profile applied."

I have two questions.

1. Does the correction applied by the Adobe Lens Profile take into consideration the fact that a full frame lens is being used on an APS-C sensor? The APS-C sensor certainly does not require as much vignetting correction as would a full frame sensor, for instance.

2. Does the fact that Lightroom is "unable to locate a matching profile automatically" indicate that Adobe does not suggest using the full frame profile with an APS-C sensor?

• 1. Re: Batis profiles
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi jackm,

Please refer the below related discussion.

Lens Profile Correction in Lightroom/Photoshop

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: Batis profiles
            jackm137 Level 1

Thank you for the reply, but the post you site does not deal with questions I ask. A better title for my post would have been "Lens Profile, full frame vs. APS-C."

• 3. Re: Batis profiles
              JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

I don't have either the same camera or lens, so this is a guess.  Some camera/lens combinations apply the lens correction in the camera firmware. Lightroom will recognize this and will not automatically apply a second lens correction upon import.  When you try to coax it to apply the Zeiss correcting, Lightroom is trying to tell you that the "Built in Lens Profile (has already been) applied", hence it does not apply it again.

• 4. Re: Batis profiles
                jackm137 Level 1

In fact, manually selecting the Zeiss Batis profile does apply a correction to the image. I simply do not understand what Lightroom is doing. Maybe I should get the A7RII and see how the Batis profiles work with that camera. ;~)

• 5. Re: Batis profiles
                  JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

OK, perhaps Lightroom does apply the correction when forced.  Normally I do not get any message when I apply a lens correction; it simply gets applied.  Based on the message you are getting, it still sounds like the correction may have already been applied before you manually selected it.

• 6. Re: Batis profiles
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. Does the correction applied by the Adobe Lens Profile take into consideration the fact that a full frame lens is being used on an APS-C sensor? The APS-C sensor certainly does not require as much vignetting correction as would a full frame sensor, for instance.    

yes, it does this automatically at least for the full frame lenses I've used on my Nikon crop bodies. It knows your sensor only covers a smaller portion of the lens' field. I'd imagine that is the same for Sony.

• 7. Re: Batis profiles
                      jackm137 Level 1

BTW, I'm now observing the same behavior with the Sony a7RM2.

The profile does not automatically populate for my Batis 25 or my Batis 85. I'm using the a7RM2. Clicking on the little round i with the "Built-in Lens Profile applied" says that the applied built-in profile is for chromatic aberration. Selecting "Zeiss" from the list applies the lens correction profile to the image. I actually go back and forth, clicking and unclicking the check box. Sometimes I actually prefer the image without the profile applied.

This behavior does seem strange to me because the Batis lens is correctly listed in the Library module.

• 8. Re: Batis profiles
                        Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi jackm,

Please update Lightroom to 6.9/2015.9 version which includes the fix for Lens Profile Auto Matching was not working for Zeiss Batis 85mm lenses. refer: Lightroom CC 2015.9 now available

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Regards,

Mohit