3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 11:46 PM by philippanmei

Adding Pictures to a Linked InDesign Table

njtedeschi Level 1

I have a linked table in InDesign. The excel file that is linked has a column with a picture in each cell of that column but the pictures did not come through with the text. Is there a way to get the pictures to come through as well?

I added the pictures myself by copying them from the excel file and pasting them in the cells in InDesign. The issue with that was when the table was updated from the source excel file, the pictures were deleted. Is there a way to fix this?

• 1. Re: Adding Pictures to a Linked InDesign Table
          philippanmei Level 4

Instead of copy from excel and paste images in Indesign, do one thing

1. Open your Excel file, click File tab, choose Save As, in the Save As window, click the drop-down menu labeled Save as type:, scroll down and choose Web Page (*.htm;*.html), Click Save.

Save as Web Page File

When a web page is saved in a computer two files are actually generated. One is the html file, and another is a folder that contains all the images and other component files that are a part of the web page.

OR

2. Change the Excel file extension (only available with .xlsx) as a RAR file, For example, change Products.xlsx toProducts.rar, extract the Products.rar file, you will see 3 folders (_rels, docProps and xl) and 1 xml file ([Content_Types].xml), open xl folder, open media folder, you will see all the images in the media folder.

3. Open up the Indesign file instead of copy and paste, Placed the exported excel images to Indesign to have a linked and there will be no issue at all.

Thanks

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding Pictures to a Linked InDesign Table
            njtedeschi Level 1

philippanmei Thank you for that information. While that does help provide all the images to place in the table, I am still having an issue with the placed photos disappearing from the table when the text within the linked excel file is updated. Any idea on how to set up the photos in the table so that they remain after the linked table is updated?

• 3. Re: Adding Pictures to a Linked InDesign Table
              philippanmei Level 4

Don't place the image directly into the cell just do place the image somewhere and drag the image and fit to the cell and keep anchor into the cell.

Thanks