5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2006 3:22 PM by KeithJohnson

IE Flash Viewing Problem

ShagenBake Level 1
      I have vasrious sites and have visited various sites that are all working incorrectly in IE. Flash movies are just flat out not appearing in IE. When I type in a web address in IE the browser will sometime catch a glimpse of the preloader and then as soon as the Flash movie seems to have loaded then all visual aspects of the site disappear. The sound stays upon loading or background but the main swf file is not appearing. Only in IE. Firefox is coming through though. Haven't tried other browsers.

Have been reading around and have read various things about a Flash bug. This problem I think is new in the past couple days but not sure. I am an avid Firefox user and do not always test in IE as I ought but then have been having a lot of issues with it not working. Not only with my own sites but with huge sites including the Macromedia site.

Any insights, fixes, and thoughts would be helpful. I am unsure who to be frustrated with. IE or ADOBE/MACROMEDIA. I just need and want my sites and other people sites to be working properly. Thanks for the time and looking foward to being pointed towards something that will fill me in on the issue! Blessings!
        • 1. Re: IE Flash Viewing Problem
          Level 7
          I've never heard of it being a bug in Flash, it's likely the eolas patent
          lawsuit that changed how IE displays activeX content. It now needs to be
          clicked on before it is activated - your Flash movies should show a border
          around them when you mouse over. There are a bunch of workarounds... I have
          been using SWFObject and it seems to do the trick, and is also easy to
          setup.
          http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

--
          Dave -
          Adobe Community Expert
          www.blurredistinction.com
          www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/

• 2. Re: IE Flash Viewing Problem
            Level 7
            better .. look at the variety of solutions here .. less work to implement
            than swfobject.

http://activecontent.blogspot.com
            --
            Jeckyl

"DMennenoh" <dave@blurredistinction.com> wrote in message
            news:e2vi82$mfs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

• 3. Re: IE Flash Viewing Problem
              saoudi Level 1
              What IE solution works best with flash 7, and maybe 6.
              I tried the Adobe/Macromedia solution (Active Content Update) and it works fine for flash 8 but noticed that some flash 7 swfs do not work properly when using AC_RunActiveContent.js
              Some of my swfs started jumping to the middle of the show when publishing as flash 7, and use the Active Content Update. but if I publish as flash 8, or if I publish as flash 7 and use Flash only template, the swf works fine...
              • 4. Re: IE Flash Viewing Problem
                Level 7
                I found swfobject.js and it works better than Adobe/Macromedia solution even
                with flash 7.

http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

"saoudi" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e31bkd$bl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > What IE solution works best with flash 7, and maybe 6.
                > I tried the Adobe/Macromedia solution (Active Content Update) and it works
                > fine for flash 8 but noticed that some flash 7 swfs do not work properly
                > when
                > using AC_RunActiveContent.js
                > Some of my swfs started jumping to the middle of the show when publishing
                > as
                > flash 7, and use the Active Content Update. but if I publish as flash 8,
                > or if
                > I publish as flash 7 and use Flash only template, the swf works fine...
                >

• 5. Re: IE Flash Viewing Problem
                  KeithJohnson Level 1
                  I had the same problem. I unistalled everything Flash 8 and reinstalled and it worked. I could see flash again in ie
                  Keith