11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 1:27 PM by Ann Bens

Import issues with PrEl 14.1

Popcorn Media man Level 1

Hope you are well

A few months ago you helped me out, so i wonder if you can help me now also.

I am having issues importing my AVCHD files into premiere elements 14. When i add them to a project i get 3 copies of the same file and i get a warning saying some of them are not able to be imported - the MTS ones i think. I am also having problems with some of the audio dropping out half way though a file - all very strange.

I am in the process of exporting them using Quicktime to give me AAc, H264 1920X1080 files and the size is about 1 3rd of the original. I only work outputting to DVD, so i am wondering if this is going to be a good way of working or not.

I also wonder if i have set the scratch discs up in the best way. I have used all on custom settings to an external drive, but wonder if some of it should be on the machines ssd drive for speed.

Any advice would be most welcome.

• 1. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's probably a good idea not to ask several questions in a single post. Otherwise it makes it hard to concentrate on just one issue at a time.

That said, how did you get your video from your camcorder to your computer? Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Cameras and Devices (the Video Importer) or did you manually move the files from the camcorder to your computer? Sometimes when you move the files manually, you don't take the right files. Always use the Video Importer tool when you can.

When you add a video to your project, do you let it completely conform before you start editing? If you start editing before the file is completely conformed, you may lose audio partway through, especially if it is a long video clip.

Finally, yes, if you're outputting a DVD from AVCHD footage, the final video is going to be much smaller than the original -- because DVD video is less than 1/4 the resolution of AVCHD high-def video.

Or do you mean something else when you say "The size is about 1/3 of the original"? If you mean the size of the actual file then, yes, some codecs of Quicktime have higher compression and will be smaller in size than the original AVCHD. But it depends on which codec has been assigned to the MOV file.

• 2. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

Hi Steve - thanks for your replies - i will try to break it all down next time.

My workflow is to copy the SD card from the camera to an external drive and then to import those files (AVCHD) to Pr El 14.1 using the Add Media dropdown. This gives me usually 4 files for each clip that is in the AVCHD file and i usually just pick one and delete the other 3 - these are generally 00001.MTS files. I will try using the organiser tool to import next time, however i don't usually have the camera to hand when importing.

I think you are correct about the Conform bit of the process - for some reason since upgrading to 14.1 the whole thing seems really slow - perhaps its reset the scratch disc to defaults. I need to clear some projects from my lists and get rid of a whole load of seemingly useless files!

My set up is iMac with 250SSD drive and 2 external storage drives of 1TB each. What would you recommend as being the best/fastest/most efficient set up for my scratch discs?

Thanks in advance... and next time i will break it all down into smaller bits.

• 3. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

My biggest problem at the moment is the preview window when I'm editing - I don't mind the quality, but i really need to improve the latency i am getting. I suspect its tied in with scratch discs and system performance, but its making the edit such a slow and tedious process - any ideas what i should be looking for to optimise this?

• 4. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

When you add your media to your timeline, is there a yellow-orange "render" line above the first clip on your timeline? This indicates that your project settings don't match your video specs, which will cause the program to run less efficiently.

RenderLine.jpg

• 5. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

Yes it is - every time - but i put that down to me using AVCHD 1920X1080 files and a PAL DVD project (I'm in the UK), so i can zoom it on the subjects and get close shots from a fixed camera.

I did find that if i am just using one video file instead of 3 when editing it all runs much smoother, even when the Opacity of the other 2 tracks is at 0% it doesn't like it - i guess its processing it even though it cant see it....

I am using a 3 camera shoot to edit dance videos so i need to keep them all in sync, and haven't found the best way to do that yet - but at least the edit process is better now i know to only use the one video at a time, so perhaps will have to do a lot more cutting of unused videos to keep it to a minimum.

FYI - 2 of the tracks are AVCHD 1920X1080at 50fps and the 3rd is an MP4 1920X1080 from a go-pro.

Again, all advice welcome, or pointers to training info!!

Thanks

• 6. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

I'm concerned that when you add an MTS file to the beginning of your timeline, you're seeing a yellow-orange line above it even before you add effects or transitions to it. This indicates a mismatch between video specs and project settings, which is key to your whole peformance issue!

So you need to first crack open that MTS file and see what's inside. It's apparently not a standard file.

Open the file with Media Info, a free download. You can post a screen capture of the report it generates to this forum -- but what we're looking for is information on resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs primarily. I know you think it's a standard 1920x1080i25 video, but we need confirm that before we dig any deeper.

If your video is from three different sources, do this with a sample from each video set.

• 7. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you adding 1920x1080 footage to a 720x576 project?

If you are making dvd set the camera to 1080/25 fps interlaced not 50p.

Same goes for the Gopro.

• 8. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

Hi Steve - This is what Pr El properties gives me - the file on the system is  an AVCHD and doesn't really give me much info.

prel.png

The go pro gives this..

prel2.png

But as Ann mentioned - the project is a 720x576 DVD PAL project - so i guess there will always be a mismatch.

I did shoot one event using 25fps, but i felt the result was less smooth and had a more cinematic quality to it, but that might just be me!!

Is there going to be much mileage in converting the AVCHD footage to a quicktime export - and would i loose anything that i might later want?

Thanks again

• 9. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

But as Ann mentioned - the project is a 720x576 DVD PAL project - so i guess there will always be a mismatch.

Yes there will.

If you want to do fancy stuff you need fancy software like Premiere Pro.

• 10. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

Premiere Elements can indeed match its project settings to an MTS file. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in your Properties report -- but you still haven't opened the file in Media Info, as I suggested earlier, which gives a much more detailed report.

Still, that said, try this experiment. Shoot video with your camcorder, then attach your camcorder to your computer via USB and set it to VTR mode. In Premiere Elements,  use Add Media/from Cameras and Devices to get the video from the camcorder to your computer and place the file on the timeline of a new project. Do you still see the yellow-orange render line above the clip? Do your Project Settings (under the Edit menu) not match the 1920x1080i50 specs of the clip?

• 11. Re: Import issues with PrEl 14.1

OP is putting 1920P footage in a dv pal project hence the mismatch.

He wants it like this to zoom in on the image without quality loss.

Unfortunately Elements cannot handle this workflow very well. PPro can.