7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2006 8:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

FRUSTRATION WITH LAYOUT

PaKa79
      I'm really new to DW and teaching myself this program. I am creating pages for a work website. When I use DW everything looks good and in all the right places....when I load this up to my site everything is way bigger than in DW and just looks awful!!!! How do I use DW to format to exactly what I want even when its loaded up ?? Please help ..these pages need to be done by tomorrow afternoon!!!

Here is the upload of that page I'm having trouble with

stay blessed yall
      PaKa
        • 1. Re: FRUSTRATION WITH LAYOUT
          Level 7
          A primary source of frustration when working with DW like this is lack of
          knowledge of HTML. The more you know about HTML and CSS the less
          frustrating you will find DW. It's not likely you will make much progress
          before these pages are due, though.

Anyhow, how could someone possibly help you - we have no clue what your
          pages look like! Can you post a link and describe what is frustrating you?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"PaKa79" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e2p55r$7s5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm really new to DW and teaching myself this program. I am creating pages
          > for
          > a work website. When I use DW everything looks good and in all the right
          > places....when I load this up to my site everything is way bigger than in
          > DW
          > and just looks awful!!!! How do I use DW to format to exactly what I want
          > even
          > when its loaded up ?? Please help ..these pages need to be done by
          > tomorrow
          > afternoon!!!!!!!
          >
          > Stay blessed yall
          > PaKa
          >

• 2. FRUSTRATION WITH LAYOUT
            Excavatorak Level 1
            Tomorrow afternoon is looking pretty much impossible... definitely hard to tell what's going on with your page without the url to actually see it.

When I'm writing a site I don't depend on design view too much. I like to preview in FireFox mostly, then check it in IE.

=========================

And... what I always say:
            "write it for FireFox then hack it for IE."

Use the right DocType
            Validate your Markup
            Validate your CSS
            Why you want to validate
            Don't use tables for layout
            • 3. FRUSTRATION WITH LAYOUT
              PaKa79 Level 1
              Alohas

Hi, Well I know a bit about HTML but nothing about CSS....Sorry about not posting the link....here it is
              Here is the page

Everything has gotten bigger ( font/pictures) and the header ( also for the header i'm trying to add a new logo on the left ...how can I add the graphics that I have ....just place a layer over the existing one? ) and footer don't follow the entire page. The tables at the bottom look awful. The only thing that has remained the same is the menu??. All the pages are designed the same way as we're adding three new tours so If any of you can help me with the layout on this page it would be much appreciated!!!!

We launch these tours next week ....but tomorrow just have to show them for proofing and such...would like something decent to show lol

oh and if anyone can point me where to find information on having a menu that follows the scrolling of the page

Alohas....Stay blessed
              PaKa
              • 4. Re: FRUSTRATION WITH LAYOUT
                Level 7
                First, the size of page elements doesn't change. I'm guessing you have
                Dreamweaver set to Zoom out so things look smaller in DW than in your
                browser. Check the View > Magnification settings.

Here's the worst news: If a client brought this page to me and offered to
                pay me to fix it I would decline. I would only consider starting from
                scratch and building the page properly. You are relying on fixed (absolute)
                positioned Divs (e.g. Layers) and that is where most of your problems start.
                Your page is much too wide. The Divs containing your Tables are overlapping.

Given your admitted lack of CSS knowledge & experience I suggest you start
                over with a completely table-based layout. Keep the page width to about 770
                pixels so it will display correctly in the most common browser window sizes.
                Forget about Layers altogether and keep your tables simple. Don't do a lot
                of cell merging or splitting or you will have problems. You are usually
                better using many tables (stacked vertically) rather than trying to make one
                or two tables carry a variety of layouts and column counts.

Finally tell your boss that your aunt, uncle, grandmother and 1st grade
                teacher all were involved in some terrible catastrophe and you will be back
                in a few days. :-)

Luck.

Walt

news:e2pab8$d8b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Alohas
                >
                > Hi, Well I know a bit about HTML but nothing about CSS....Sorry about not
                > posting the link....here it is
                > http://www.perimeterbus.com/Vancouver.html
                >
                > Everything has gotten bigger ( font/pictures) and the header( also for
                the
                > header i'm trying to add a new logo on the left ...how can I add the
                graphics
                > that I have ....just place a layer over the existing one? ) and footer
                don't
                > follow the entire page. The tables at the bottom look awful. All the pages
                are
                > designed the same way as we're adding three new tours so If any of you can
                help
                > me with the layout on this page it would be much appreciated!!!!
                >
                > We launch these tours next week ....but tomorrow just have to show them
                for
                > proofing and such...would like something decent to show lol
                >
                > Alohas....Stay blessed
                > PaKa
                >

• 5. Re: FRUSTRATION WITH LAYOUT
                  PaKa79 Level 1
                  Not only a design guru but a comedian hahaha =) thanks for the laugh ....needed it right about now. I have scratch the whole page and started fresh just using tables and it seems to be working just fine. Thanks for your tips. I guess the lesson is don't be a go-getter and don't be lazy and use an existing page as a template!!! Much appreciated for all your wisdom and the comedy value!!!

Much Respect
                  Paka

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  First, the size of page elements doesn't change. I'm guessing you have
                  Dreamweaver set to Zoom out so things look smaller in DW than in your
                  browser. Check the View > Magnification settings.

Here's the worst news: If a client brought this page to me and offered to
                  pay me to fix it I would decline. I would only consider starting from
                  scratch and building the page properly. You are relying on fixed (absolute)
                  positioned Divs (e.g. Layers) and that is where most of your problems start.
                  Your page is much too wide. The Divs containing your Tables are overlapping.

Given your admitted lack of CSS knowledge & experience I suggest you start
                  over with a completely table-based layout. Keep the page width to about 770
                  pixels so it will display correctly in the most common browser window sizes.
                  Forget about Layers altogether and keep your tables simple. Don't do a lot
                  of cell merging or splitting or you will have problems. You are usually
                  better using many tables (stacked vertically) rather than trying to make one
                  or two tables carry a variety of layouts and column counts.

Finally tell your boss that your aunt, uncle, grandmother and 1st grade
                  teacher all were involved in some terrible catastrophe and you will be back
                  in a few days. :-)

Luck.

Walt

news:e2pab8$d8b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Alohas
                  >
                  >
                  > Everything has gotten bigger ( font/pictures) and the header( also for
                  the
                  > header i'm trying to add a new logo on the left ...how can I add the
                  graphics
                  > that I have ....just place a layer over the existing one? ) and footer
                  don't
                  are
                  help
                  >
                  > We launch these tours next week ....but tomorrow just have to show them
                  for
                  >
                  > Alohas....Stay blessed
                  > PaKa
                  >

• 6. Re: FRUSTRATION WITH LAYOUT
                    Level 7
                    The real lesson is to get cozy with those HTML and CSS books, and don't use
                    layers as a page layout method!

Good luck!

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                    ==================

news:e2pube$6s3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Not only a design guru but a comedian hahaha =) thanks for the laugh
                    > ....needed
                    > it right about now. I have scratch the whole page and started fresh just
                    > using
                    > tables and it seems to be working just fine. Thanks for your tips. I guess
                    > the
                    > lesson is don't be a go-getter and don't be lazy and use an existing page
                    > as a
                    > template!!! Much appreciated for all your wisdom and the comedy value!!!
                    >
                    > Much Respect
                    > Paka
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    > First, the size of page elements doesn't change. I'm guessing you have
                    > Dreamweaver set to Zoom out so things look smaller in DW than in your
                    > browser. Check the View > Magnification settings.
                    >
                    > Here's the worst news: If a client brought this page to me and offered to
                    > pay me to fix it I would decline. I would only consider starting from
                    > scratch and building the page properly. You are relying on fixed
                    > (absolute)
                    > positioned Divs (e.g. Layers) and that is where most of your problems
                    > start.
                    > Your page is much too wide. The Divs containing your Tables are
                    > overlapping.
                    >
                    > Given your admitted lack of CSS knowledge & experience I suggest you start
                    > over with a completely table-based layout. Keep the page width to about
                    > 770
                    > pixels so it will display correctly in the most common browser window
                    > sizes.
                    > Forget about Layers altogether and keep your tables simple. Don't do a lot
                    > of cell merging or splitting or you will have problems. You are usually
                    > better using many tables (stacked vertically) rather than trying to make
                    > one
                    > or two tables carry a variety of layouts and column counts.
                    >
                    > Finally tell your boss that your aunt, uncle, grandmother and 1st grade
                    > teacher all were involved in some terrible catastrophe and you will be
                    > back
                    > in a few days. :-)
                    >
                    > Luck.
                    >
                    > Walt
                    >
                    > "PaKa79" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    > news:e2pab8$d8b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > > Alohas
                    > >
                    > > Hi, Well I know a bit about HTML but nothing about CSS....Sorry about
                    > > not
                    > > posting the link....here it is
                    > > http://www.perimeterbus.com/Vancouver.html
                    > >
                    > > Everything has gotten bigger ( font/pictures) and the header( also for
                    > the
                    > > header i'm trying to add a new logo on the left ...how can I add the
                    > graphics
                    > > that I have ....just place a layer over the existing one? ) and footer
                    > don't
                    > > follow the entire page. The tables at the bottom look awful. All the
                    > > pages
                    > are
                    > > designed the same way as we're adding three new tours so If any of you
                    > > can
                    > help
                    > > me with the layout on this page it would be much appreciated!!!!
                    > >
                    > > We launch these tours next week ....but tomorrow just have to show them
                    > for
                    > > proofing and such...would like something decent to show lol
                    > >
                    > > Alohas....Stay blessed
                    > > PaKa
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: FRUSTRATION WITH LAYOUT
                      Level 7
                      In article <e2pab8$d8b$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                      "PaKa79" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Alohas
                      >
                      >
                      > Everything has gotten bigger ( font/pictures) and the header( also for the
                      > header i'm trying to add a new logo on the left ...how can I add the graphics
                      > that I have ....just place a layer over the existing one? ) and footer don't
                      > are
                      > help
                      >
                      > We launch these tours next week ....but tomorrow just have to show them for
                      >
                      > Alohas....Stay blessed
                      > PaKa

I'm viewing using Mac Camino (a Mozilla browser) and typeface looks okay
                      so do the images (although slow to load on dial-up).