12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 1:22 PM by Bill Gehrke

Which i7 processor and graphics card should I get?

Jetsudo Level 1

Hello all,

I have a bit of a dilemma with knowing what pc parts I should buy.

At the moment I am able to get $1500(aud)

for all of these

i7-5960X
      -Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler
      -NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting Kit
      -Corsair Carbide Air 540
      -ASUS Rampage V Extreme Motherboard ( third pcie slot clip is broken)
      -G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-2400C15Q-16GRR 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4
      -EK Single 5.25" Bay Reservoir (Includes Dual DDC 3.2 PWM Pump)
      -Noctua NF-A14 PWM Linus Tech Tips Edition 140mm Cooling Fan x3
      -Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition Case Fan Twin Pack
      -NZXT Sentry 3 Touch Screen LCD 5.25" Fan Controller

-Logitech G910 Orion Spark
      -Cryo rig A80 Hybrid Liquid Cooler

^ That is excluding a gfx card.

However, I am unsure whether this processor would be better than getting an  i7 5820k, i7 6700k or i7 6800k or an i7 6850k. I've read varying comparisons which makes it hard to decide on (especially since a lot of comparisons are with games and not video editing).

I want to make a rig for Premiere Pro and After effects mostly. I've been working with 4k footage and need something better but not breaking the bank. I am looking around spending as little as I can, but still future-proofing enough to be hip and cool. I am thinking of something around $1,500 -$2000 for a decent editing pc. I've been a  little out of touch with building and slowly learning about what is needed for editing.

The 5960x has 8 cores and tons of cooling stuff with it, the others have 6 (and 4 cores*  6700k). I heard the more cores the better for editing, but the speed of each core is to be considered as well without the added cooling system.

As well as, with a graphics card, I am considering the gtx 970 or 980s since they are quite cheap now (second hand), but would an gtx 800* card be enough?

I want to do more professional work but I don't want to break the bank. I'm just a bit lost with what would be advantageous. Having more cores and a cheap gfx card, ,or having a decent processor with a decent gfx card for cheaper*ish. for $1600 that's a good deal, but unsure if it is good for a video editor. =\

Thank you all who have insight and greater knowledge of this stuff! ^_^

Jake.