2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2016 4:19 PM by gavin310

PhoneGap desktop server is running fine, but cannot access IP:port on other devices or computers on same network

gavin310

I really need some help here before I pull my hair out. I just installed the latest PhoneGap desktop app and mobile app today. I have the PhoneGap desktop app running on OS X and the server is started on port 3000. It works fine. If I go to 192.168.0.5:3000 I get the "Hello World" app. If I go to 127.0.0.1:3000 I get the "Hello World" app. Doing a port scan says that port 3000 is open.

All my devices and computers are connected to the same WiFi network. On my iPhone 6, the PhoneGap app tries connecting to 192.168.0.5:3000, but eventually gives an error. In iOS Safari I try going to 192.168.0.5:3000 and after timing out it says "Safari could not open the page..."

I forwarded port 3000 on my router but still no luck. I have Little Snitch running, but the network filter is turned off. The OS X firewall is not running. The firewall on my router is off. What the hell is going on?

• 1. Re: PhoneGap desktop server is running fine, but cannot access IP:port on other devices or computers on same network
          kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

Some things to try:

- Can you ping/tracert your dev machine from your iOS device? There are many free apps that can ping/tracert, so I'd try with one of these. This will help determine if it's a reachability problem (no route to host) or if it's just that the port is the problem. If you can ping, you might try a telnet/curl/wget (or similar) against the port and see if you get a response.

- What does your network topology look like? Is the dev machine on a wired connection? (In which case, depending on your setup, there may not be any route across.) It's difficult to troubleshoot stuff like this simply because network configurations and topologies can be so varied.

- Have you restarted your iOS device? Router (incl wifi)? Dev machine? I know it's trite, but the number of times that fixes the problem is why it's a common response.

- You may have the OS X firewall turned off, but do you have any AV software running? It's possible that is getting in the way.

- Try a different port.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PhoneGap desktop server is running fine, but cannot access IP:port on other devices or computers on same network
            gavin310 Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply. I know this should be easy, so I'm getting nervous that there might be something interfering that I won't be able to figure out.

- I can ping the dev machine from my iPhone. The dev machine's IP is 192.168.0.5 and I can ping that IP without any issue. I downloaded iTerminal for iOS and tried to telnet to 192.168.0.5:3000 and it gives an error ("Failed to connect.").

- All computers and devices are on wifi. It's just a simple home network with everything on wifi (nothing is wired except the modem/router).

- I've restarted the dev machine, iPhone, and router a few times since I've been troubleshooting this, including just now.

- On my dev machine, the only app that could interfere with network traffic is LittleSnitch, but I've turned the network filter off. I'm not running any AV software. I even checked my hosts file and there is nothing in there except the default "127" entry.

- I've tried changing the port a few different times, but same results.