2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2016 7:33 AM by DanBigMacMeal

Importing already edited jpegs to Lightroom

DanBigMacMeal

Hello everyone, I've been photographing for 7 months and have 4000 photos. However, I'm new to Lightroom. I've been using the Photos app on my Mac, and I've been shooting jpeg for the first part of the 7 months. When I imported a jpeg into Photos from my camera card, I saved it to Original Camera Roll and duplicated it. I then hid the original from the Moments, Collections, Years view. This meant I was always working with a duplicate of the original photo. I've now imported my Original Camera Roll to Lightroom, and plan on using Collections to organise my library (although not 100% sure on this yet). But what do I do with all the duplicated versions of my camera roll, of which 400 or so have been edited? Do I import them to Lightroom, or just the edited ones? Where do I store them in my workflow?

Thanks, Dan.

• 1. Re: Importing already edited jpegs to Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

This is a problem with no definitive answer when migrating from other software.

You can do any one of the following, it's up to you:

• Import the edited versions of the 400 but not the originals, and the remaining originals out of the 4000.
          • Import both the edited and originals
          • Import only the originals (and edit the photos again using LR)

There are obviously advantages and disadvantages to each method.

plan on using Collections to organise my library (although not 100% sure on this yet)

Use keywords, not collections, as your primary organizing tool. Keywords can stay with the photo (if you so choose) when you send the photo somewhere (e-mail, web) whereas collection information does not exist outside of Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Importing already edited jpegs to Lightroom
            DanBigMacMeal Level 1

I have imported all the originals, and am now importing the edited duplicates as well. The only problem is that the first month or two of edited photos were edited in a different Photos library, so they don't appear as 'edited'. Therefore, I have to import all the photos from these first few months and hope Lightroom will know not to import the ones that have not been edited. Thanks for your help!