10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2016 9:43 AM by Abambo

Missing files that were renamed?! Help!

Sergio Hegner

Dear friends, for some reason some photos were renamed and now LRCC cannot link them anymore. I performed a TimeMachine (I am a Mac user) restore and found that they were moved and renamed don't know why. That's cool I thought...restored from backup but there are only 140X140 files maybe LR thumbnails ?!

The original files are somewhere in my drives but how can I spot them if they are renamed?? IS there a way by using a thirds software to find identical files by image comparison ? I mean, comparing the image itself??

Thanking in advance,

Sergio

• 1. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In Lightroom, select a missing image. Control (or right) click and select go to folder. Highlight the folder in the left bar on your screen and select "show in finder". Now with the folder open, enter time machine and restore the image files. If the folder itself got deleted or renamed, in the folder panel on the left, select the parent folder and do the same thing. If no parent folder is showing, right(or control) click on the folder and make Lightroom show the parent folder In the sidebar.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!
            Sergio Hegner Level 1

Thank you for your reply Jao,

Well, I could "find" the renamed missing files inside a folder called "500px" using Time Machine  BUT they're not the original ones, just a renamed version with very low resolution. The original photos are inside of another folders sorted by data in my HD but as they were renamed I can't tell what's the file LR is pointing as missing. I don't know if i was clear...if you want I can post screen  captures.

Very upset

• 3. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!

Yeah screen captures would be good. If your folders with your originals were simply moved or renamed you can redirect the folder in Lightroom to the new location.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!
                Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Golden rule: Do not move or rename your files behind the back of LR. LR needs to know what happens to the files, because it keeps links to the original place and name. If you move files outside of LR for whatever reason, you need to tell LR where to find them again.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!
                  Sergio Hegner Level 1

I know this my friend...but it was done by an automated backup,  TimeMachine or Carbon Copy Cloner

• 6. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!
                    Sergio Hegner Level 1

Here are the captures. Note that the strange name with numbers is not the original one I've edited and previous location (500px folder) was deleted & recovered via TimeMachine BUT there are only thumbnails inside. What I've found is just small resolution files as told. How can I locate the file if it is renamed and all my files are inside a big folder called "minhas fotos lightroom"? That's the point my friend...there are several identical pictures inside these folders so I can only tell using my eyes what is not a good idea with hundreds.

Note that the selected folder is only for the purpose to show you where my original files are not the actual one (I don't know) where the same image is.

Captura de Tela 2016-08-06 às 11.03.08.png

Captura de Tela 2016-08-06 às 20.44.17.png

• 7. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!

Note that the selected folder is only for the purpose to show you where my original files are not the actual one (I don't know) where the same image is.

You can try searching for the image using the looking glass in the menu bar on the right. Just type the filename you saw above.

Neither Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner will ever rename your files so something else has happened here.

• 8. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!
                        Sergio Hegner Level 1

I can't type in the search field because that name is not correct so I will not find the real one...see, original edited file name is not that one with numbers that appear in LR, for some strange reason several files changed from something like DSC2017.NEF (example) to that one you see as 33333.566666.JPG.

I always thought that those apps would not rename files but this issue began after CCC moved(?!) some files to "safety net" folder with these numbers! Very odd. I live alone and no one has access to my Mac. This is something that I just saw two days ago after almost 7 years of LR use.

Thank you so much for your interest.

• 9. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!

There is something else going on here than your backup software. The screenshot shows Lightroom is looking for a jpeg in a folder with the name 500px. Your original is a NEF file somewhere. My guess is that you're simply looking in the wrong spot in Lightroom and that the images in that 500px folder are something completely different and have nothing to do with your originals. These look like jpegs downloaded from 500px and loaded into Lightroom, not your originals. I would look through the folders in Lightroom or the "All photographs" section and see if you can find the original NEF file.

• 10. Re: Missing files that were renamed?! Help!
                            Abambo Adobe Community Professional

A backup program should not touch or modify the files it backs up. Restore should be able to bring back the original situation without modification.