3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2016 6:56 AM by Roei Tzoref

Looking for a text animation

Tango.......... Level 1

Hi,

is is there a preset or tutorial or what would be the best words to search for regarding a text animation that scales out from the middle horizontally. (Top half would scale up & bottom half would scale down.

Thanks in advance.

Todd

• 1. Re: Looking for a text animation
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

do you mean the character itself splits in half? or each character scales as a whole?

if you mean the text layer is sliced in half, you can do that with the use of Alpha mattes:

if it's per character you can bulid it from scratch and create a text animation using animators and range selectors

Animate text in After Effects

Animating text in After Effects

or you can use a preset as your starting point: you got great animation presets to choose from (more information here: Effects and animation presets in After Effects ) you can then modify a chosen preset to your needs.

if you want to use the animation presets you first select your text layer:

and once the text layer is selected, do each of the following:

1. toggle the animation presets triangle - you got some scale presets

now you can click on a preset twice and it will be applied to your layer. you can click UU for seeing what parameters have been modified and play with those.

OR

2. you can browse the presets in a visual way (seeing a preview of the animation) in Adobe Bridge by clicking panel options and Browse Presets.

choose text

choose a category to explore

click a preset to watch the preview in Bridge

gallery.gif

and then click twice on the thumbnail* and it will be applied to your layer.

**actually this is giving me an error right now, probably some sort of bug the requires me to re-install or something. but it's o.k because I can remember which preset it was and click on it twice in the Effects and Preset panel.

• 2. Re: Looking for a text animation
            Tango.......... Level 1

Thanks for the detailed response.

im looking to achieve similar to the wording power anything anywhere at the end of this clip Alex Johnson and Bessie the Trailer - YouTube (just in simple terms, not with the green)

• 3. Re: Looking for a text animation
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

got to say I am kind of disappointed this effect is pretty cheap - you could do better!. but if you want to do it, I can't stop you - this is basic scale stretch of a layer on the Y axis. what you do is.

1. set you anchor point in the middle of the text (it defaults to you paragraph alignment at the bottom of the layer)

2.unchain the scale

3. and play with the Y axis from 0 to 100 as refine the timing as needed

the first part is just masking the layer from the middle.

see if that suits you.