16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2016 6:45 PM by Ashley7

Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.

Ashley7 Level 3

I'm considering a new laptop not to exceed $1500 for Premiere Pro CC video editing w/color correction effects, so some effects. I will be upgrading from my current laptop which is about 5 years old, a Sony Vaio laptop, VPCF215FX, 6GB RAM, 16" display, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M w/1GB. A couple of years ago, I replaced the internal HD with a Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB. Here's what I'm considering…

1. Get a new system with minimal cost to SSD or HD, and simply swap out my existing owned 1TB SSD when new system arrives. This will save on SSD costs.

1. Since I'm getting by with 6GB RAM today, it's okay for me to go for only 8GB or perhaps 16GB. Maybe if I get 8GB, make sure I can add 8 more later if desired.

1. I currently have a 16" display which is tight… should I therefore avoid 15" gaming systems, such as the Dell gaming laptops… great prices their but they're only 15" displays. The 17" Dell Inspirons have processors which have less cache from what I can see. ASUS has two 17" systems I found, noted below.

I'm not doing 4K today, just 1080p.

For 17" options, I see the following ASUS systems…

ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM170008067/A18486

(with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB)

ASUS ROG G751JY-VS71(WX)

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201603AM300000146/A18486

(with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB)

I think the latter above G751JY allows for a second HD so I can add the SSD. I don't believe the GL752VW has a second storage option.

Is the NVIDIA 980M good for Premiere? I can't find it on any official Adobe recommended GPU lists.

I'm curious if you think I'm making good considerations here? Remember, I'm not a pro user, yet anyway, and 4K not required… I have no 4k equip, no plans for any.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the gtx 980m is in overkill territory for HD projects and the gtx 960m is pretty slow. the gtx 965m would be good, or the gtx 970m if you plan on using alot of gpu fx and lumetri color. the new gtx 1000 series for laptops should be coming out in a month or two. they will be overkill for HD as well, but may help lower some prices on the gtx 900 series laptops.

as you shop around watch carefully for the i7 cpu, that its the HQ model and not the U. the U model is half the speed, but sometimes is close to the same price as some of the cheaper HQ models. i would try to get one with 16gb of memory. if you get one with 8gb with plans of upgrading, you may have to check if the laptop comes with 1 stick of 8gb memory or 2 sticks of 4gb. some of the asus and msi laptops have quick access panels to easily upgrade memory and storage. you can download and look at manuals or youtube videos for any laptops you are considering, to see what kind of upgrades are possible.

i would also look for a laptop that can hold two storage drives. one for os/apps and another for media/projects. some laptops come with a small 128-256gb ssd + 1tb hdd, which would be good for that setup and you would just have to swap out the 1tb hdd for your 850 pro ssd. you can also get a usb external 2.5" drive case to turn the 1tb hdd into a usb storage/backup drive. you can use newegg to filter laptops by specs like the i7 cpu, 16gb of memory, screen size, 965m and 970m models, to quickly narrow your search of laptops.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
            Ashley7 Level 3

RoninEdits wrote:

the gtx 980m is in overkill territory for HD projects and the gtx 960m is pretty slow. the gtx 965m would be good, or the gtx 970m if you plan on using alot of gpu fx and lumetri color. the new gtx 1000 series for laptops should be coming out in a month or two. they will be overkill for HD as well, but may help lower some prices on the gtx 900 series laptops.

What a great answer, thank you. I would not have know the subtleties of 980m being overkill, yet 960m being a bit under a good target. I'll see what I can find w/965m/970m. Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
              Ashley7 Level 3

Do you see a huge difference between 4th gen and 6th gen Core i7 for Pr... if both have 970m and 16GB w/SSD etc., all other things being the same? My guess is GPU and SSD are primary then CPU for Pr perf, where core processor, so long as quad core, can lag a couple of years... but that's assumptive. I've not tested Pr on anything but my old system. I'm asking because I'm seeing the difference of a couple of hundred bucks generally between 4th and 6th gen i7, trying to figure out if I should filter out the 4th gen processors.

• 4. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                JEShort01 Level 4

For a Premiere Pro laptop quad-core build, I would definitely go for a 6th gen i7 (14nm, DDR4) over a 4th gen (22nm, DDR3).

Why? Several reasons:

- more efficient; thermal throttling will allow for faster speeds for the smaller, more power efficient die size cpu when Premiere is hard at work on some workflows were all cores are at 100%

- the newer cpus seem to be just a bit more effective even at the same clock speed

- most 6th gen models will use DDR4; all 4th gen models DDR3 -- DDR4 is newer, faster, and it seems easier to find in larger sizes; BYW, I'd suggest going with 32GB over 16GB on a Premiere Pro build in 2016

- newer laptop designs and chipsets often support newer (and/or less buggy) peripherals (i.e. USB 3.1, Thunderbolt3, etc.)

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.

like jim points out, there are alot of features added in the newer laptops with the newer cpu's. this is how intel gets people to buy new computers while the cpu performance stagnates. with no competition from amd, intel limits performance gains to small gains each generation. so you will have to decide how much the new features are worth as the cpu difference won't justify large price differences.

the external connections such as usb 3.1 and thunderbolt 2/3 may be the most noticeable difference. for hd projects the ddr4 memory won't help much. the i7-4700hq is around 5-10% slower than the i7-6700hq, which is fair as its two generations apart. intel had some major problems with the 5th gen processors and they released some more updated 4th gen processors that ended up similar in performance with the 6th gen. so the i7-4720hq is nearly the same as the i7-6700hq. rated watts on intel's page are 45w for the 6th gen, vs 47w for the 4th gen.

• 6. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                    Ashley7 Level 3

Okay, this is great info... Thank you both.

• 7. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                      JFPhoton Level 3

....WHOA NELLIE !!!  Hang on a minute.

First of all, you must assess exactly what your editing needs and demands are currently......and if they will increase in the near future. Are you just a gamer trying to edit gaming videos, a part time hobbyist editor, or, are you a serious editor hoping to reach a professional level at some point. All this makes a huge difference.

I have a two year old Asus gaming laptop that will EASILY tackle any 1080p projects, even with the measley NVidia 765m GPU, which only has 2GB of video memory. One reason it DOES work well is that  :

1.  My CPU is a Haswell;; i7 4700HQ. It turbos up to about 3.2 GHz on all cores under load.....the new Skylake CPUs are only marginally better....not a significant difference in performance.....BOTH CPUs are limited to 4 physical cores.

2. for 4K work, it is generally recognized that a minimum of 4 GB of video memory is needed on the GPU because of the increased demand produced by frame buffering and other factors. The 980m you mentioned IS great and WOULD make a difference.

However, for 1080p work, the 2GB that I have is very sufficient.......I can monitor the GPU in real time, as I put multiple 1080p video tracks on the timeline and a slew of CUDA accelerated effects before it finally is saturated to 100% usage.I also use " MSI Afterburner to overclock the memory clock on my GPU safely.....it boosts performance 20 to 25% with PPro. The 900 mobile series GPUs CANNOT be overclocked like this, BUT, it appears the NEW mobile NVidia 1070 and 1080 coming very soon CAN be overclocked !!

3. The current version of PPro uses MORE system memory than in the past.....even on 1080p projects. Tests show it uses even MORE memory with 4K.. This is GREAT news because this usage dramatically increases performance. 16 GB is now considered marginal with PPro, even on 1080p projects. With a complex timeline, I have seen my memory usage go up to 20 GB. On my laptop, I increased the stock memory of 8GB up to 24 GB. Two slots were not "user accessible",so, I could not install the 32GB I was hoping for.

If I was buying today, I would want a laptop that has at least 32GB of system memory.....some expensive new laptops even have 64GB !!

4. Drive speed is VERY IMPORTANT regarding performance.....THIS is the most common cause of "bottlenecks" and poor performance.

On my laptop , I got RID of the original, practically USELESS 1 TB spinning drive ! I first cloned its contents onto a new 480GB SATA III SSD and immediately quadrupled the speed of my boot drive. Then, I added ANOTHER, separate SSD in the 2nd 2.5" drive bay to use for all files not on the boot drive, ( media, project files, cache, media cache, previews, and exports).

Serving up your video clips at a high speed is very important , especially when feeding multiple video tracks to the timeline.

Anything you buy must have the capability for at least two, separate internal SSD drives. Without upgrading my drive system, the machine would have performed poorly.

However, TODAY there are WAY BETTER options for storage than my machine had. The new M.2 connection to the PCI bus means you may find laptops which can use PCI NVMe SSDS like the Samsung 950 Pro. This SSD is SO FAST, you COULD just place everything on it.....it reads at over 2 GB a second......TWENTY TIMES FASTER than a single 7200rpm spinning drive !! It writes at 1.5 GB per second.....FIFTEEN TIMES FASTER than a spinning drive !! In addition, these NVMe drives are " bidirectional", which means they can read and write data AT THE SAME TIME, unlike SATA drives which can only do ONE or the OTHER, not BOTH at the same time. That means the LATENCY is less with the NVMe drive, increasing performance AGAIN !.

In conclusion, if I were you, I would WAIT a little bit for newer laptops to come out which will have the new ,mobile NVidia 1070 and 1080 GPUs in them.....the performance increase will be significant AND you can overclock it,too !

Considering storage, you could select a machine with an M.2 slot and 2 separate 2.5" drive bays, OR, that has one M.2 for the PCI connection and 2 more for SATA III connections. This way your boot drive could be extremely fast.....you would have the OS, programs, Windows page file , media cache and cache files on ot ONLY. Then, for CAPACITY , AND SPEED, you can RAID 0 two SATA III SSDs for all other files.

Or, if the machine does have the M.2 slot, you may just want to install the LARGER Toshiba NVMe PCI SSD, which is available in 1TB, unlike the Samsung which tops out at 500GB capacity. Then, ALL could go on that......no need for separate drives.

Other companies are probably starting to make those larger PCI NVMe drives, too....I would watch for them.

Good Luck !

• 8. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                        Ashley7 Level 3

JFPhoton wrote:

First of all, you must assess exactly what your editing needs and demands are currently......and if they will increase in the near future. Are you just a gamer trying to edit gaming videos, a part time hobbyist editor, or, are you a serious editor hoping to reach a professional level at some point. All this makes a huge difference.

My CPU is a Haswell;; i7 4700HQ. It turbos up to about 3.2 GHz on all cores under load.....the new Skylake CPUs are only ...

However, for 1080p work, the 2GB that I have is very sufficient.......I can monitor the GPU in real time, as I put multiple 1080p ...

I've been looking at i7 6th gen systems but from what you and others are saying, I'm wondering if considering a lower price for a later 4th gen, such as one with i7 4720hq, might be a good stopgap. Ronin mentioned the later 4th gen perf is close to the 6th gen processors and here's what I'm thinking...

If I were to pay extra for i7 6700HQ, I'm asking myself if I would really get into 4K with the same system. I know I'm going to be hearing more and more about 4K but I don't see myself investing in such for at least 6 months, maybe a year. I don't have any 4K equipment or video at this time, and for the foreseeable future.

I'm also not pro... my income is not presently dependent on video editing, though I do want to have a nice "pro" amateur, meaning power user who wants to push limits in my non-pro equipment realm. So let's just say I'm a hobbyist/power user, I see myself focused on 1080p.

My budget is low... $1500 or less, but I'm really looking hard around $1000 give/take.

I'm using a 5 year old laptop with 6GB and it's really working fine except for the following: a) encoding perf is #1 pain point, b) app performance at certain times... scrubbing/editing can have delays that are painful, even browsing the web gets slow at times.

Given all that... I have a hunch that if I get any 4th gen 16GB system I'm going to be ecstatic... so playing that smarter, I can take Ronin's feedback and maybe look for a later 4th gen. It seems the price point might keep it around $1K or less... and that feels like it will be fine since this system will never be a 4K system. For that, I'll have to move to something I choose for that purpose. It sounds like a 6th gen at 16GB offers some nice changes but are not necessary for me to achieve impact and since I'm leaving the land of 5 years ago, I'll likely find a later 4th nice.

32GB would be nice but I am hard pressed to believe I require it if I'm getting by with 6GB RAM today.

So I guess I'm looking for a later 4th like i7 4720hq or something later in 6th like i7-6700HQ, around $800 to $1400 or some such, with 16GB.

So I'm not trying to convince any of you to convince me... .... just curious if my thinking sounds okay. 

Note, Jim... what you're pointing out about 6th gens helped... you're recommending 6th but you're also helping me see the extra benefit may not be needed given where I'm coming from... though I'm not 100% positive... if you think I should re-think, don't hesitate to say it.

Thanks so much everyone!

• 9. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                          Ashley7 Level 3

I went this direction: ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72 i7 6700HQ 16GB RAM 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD 17.3"

It was a couple of hundred bucks more than some alternatives but seemed worth it.

Thanks everyone... your input really helped me narrow my search to my budget.

• 10. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                            JFPhoton Level 3

...WELL....surely, that WILL be a solid performer for your current needs.  If I were you, I STILL would want to self upgrade the memory to 32 GB, ( assuming you have 2 filled with an 8GB stick in each AND have two, empty " user accessible" slots remaining.

That will be a minimal price to pay, ( make sure you MATCH the specs of the existing memory as close as possible ), to increase performance.....especially, if you start using After Effects, which will gobble all the memory you can throw at it.

The capacity of the 128 GB PCI SSD is SMALL.  I cannot tell exactly how many drive bays you have in your machine.

The Operating system and programs become "memory resident" once the machine is booted and programs are running. This means it is a waste to use the PCI SSD as a boot drive.  If it were my machine, I would keep the original spinning HDD in a drawer, as an emergency backup drive containing a clone of the image on your PCI SSD, which I am guessing is your current boot drive.

Then, I would replace the spinning drive in the 2.5" drive bay with a Samsung 850 Pro SSD, ( either 256 or 512 GB ), to serve as a great boot drive. Next, I would ebay the tiny PCI SSD and replace it with either the Samsung 950 NVMe drive,or, the larger 1TB Toshiba MVMe drive for maximum performance. Whatever you do, do NOT use the spinning drive as the place where your media files and project files are located during editing. If you keep that drive as a storage drive, move COPIES of your source material onto the PCI SSD to use during the editing process. Once a project is complete, you can move and archive the project files back to the spinning drive to clear space on the PCI SSD. I do believe that the small 128GB models have less performance than the 256GB and larger PCI NVMe SSDs.

• 11. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                              Ashley7 Level 3

JFPhoton wrote:

Then, I would replace the spinning drive in the 2.5" drive bay with a Samsung 850 Pro SSD, ( either 256 or 512 GB ), to serve

My old system, the one I'm replacing, has a Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB I plan to swap into the new system when it arrives. Given budget constraints, my initial plan was to retain the PCIe 128GB for the OS, booting, program files. I had not thought about replacing it though... I like your idea there, will consider it when budget comes round.   Thank you again!

• 12. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.

that laptop appears to have two m.2 pcie slots and one 2.5" drive bay. if it supported sata m.2 drives it would have been good to add a third affordable drive, but the pcie ssd's are more expensive. so i would try to keep the 128gb ssd and just use the 1tb ssd and/or external drive for extra storage space.

• 13. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                                  Ashley7 Level 3

They did not have the G752VT-DH72 in stock so I ended up going with an MSI GT72S 6QD which has a i7-6820HK, 16GB RAM, 970M, 128 SSD + 1 TB HDD (to be swapped out with my existing 1 TB SSD). I'm still in the setup stages but so far looks like a good if not great system for price/performance. Thanks to Bill for mentioning the MSI GT72S... Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations ... it was a nice plan B.

• 14. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have not done it yet and can wait just a little longer nVidia has just announced the new 10 series mobile graphics cards and they are not scaled down versions of the desktop cards they are full-blown desktop equivalents and even more interesting the are CUDA overclockable. just like the GTX 700's were.  (I run my GTX765 at 50% Memory Overclock with great results and absolutely no stress on the GPU.  I also recently added a GTX 1060 SC to my inventory and am very impressed with its performance on Premiere.  The new GTX 1060 laptops are now available from the laptop customizers like Xotic and Sager with delivery before the end of the month.

Edit:

I just found the ASUS laptops are now on their website for instance the G752VM and of course models with GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 versions, but no pricing yet on the ASUS versions.  Also MSI is now listing the nVidia 10 series GPU's but again no pricing or delivery info

• 15. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                                      Ashley7 Level 3

Bill Gehrke wrote:

If you have not done it yet and can wait just a little longer nVidia has just announced the new 10 series mobile graphics cards

Unfortunately I could not wait longer... I have this MSI in my possession and am well into setting up, liking it. At some point I may get a second machine... For now though, this MSI is working well... you'll just have to accept that your GT72S tip was helpful!

• 16. Re: Premiere laptop upgrade considerations.
                                        Ashley7 Level 3

JFPhoton wrote:

3. The current version of PPro uses MORE system memory than in the past.....even on 1080p projects. Tests show it uses even MORE memory with 4K.. This is GREAT news because this usage dramatically increases performance. 16 GB is now considered marginal with PPro, even on 1080p projects. With a complex timeline, I have seen my memory usage go up to 20 GB. On my laptop, I increased the stock memory of 8GB up to 24 GB. Two slots were not "user accessible",so, I could not install the 32GB I was hoping for.

If I was buying today, I would want a laptop that has at least 32GB of system memory.....some expensive new laptops even have 64GB !! ...

RoninEdits wrote:

... i would try to get one with 16gb of memory. ...

JEShort01 wrote:

I'd suggest going with 32GB over 16GB on a Premiere Pro build in 2016

Thank you again for stressing RAM. While I did not start with a 32GB laptop, I did ensure it was 16GB (4 slots total with a starting point of 8GBx2) which leaves 2 slots open for a RAM upgrade which... after experiencing a little slowness and noticing high RAM usage today, near the limit...

... I proceeded with ordering a 16GBx2 32GB upgrade for the additional two slots. Had I started with 8GB, it would have been a waste, a bad choice, which I avoided thanks to everyone's feedback here.

A side note... sometimes system's are on sale for a decent price... in my case I didn't see a system w/starting RAM at 32GB that was in my overall price target budget range... 16GB starting RAM seems popular these days, while 32GB systems seem to generally be on the higher-end pricey side of things, and seemingly not because of the relatively high RAM starting point of 32GB (or 64GB in some rarer cases), but more so because it's a package deal with high RAM but also other system components that are generally higher end.

This is all a generalized perspective... there's obviously no rules. So in my case, I opted for a decent 16GB system which may have likely been too low in RAM if I got really into After Effects, as one example... I'm now seeing that firsthand, but the configuration I started with allows me to easily remedy the situation... by adding +32GB to my 16GB starting point I'll have a good size of RAM. I'm not sure if I could have ended up with the same overall pricing had I simply gone for a 32GB or 64GB system... as mentioned those systems tend to have other bleeding edge characteristics taking the price much higher than the additional RAM itself represents.

Anyway, that's what I generally observed this last couple of weeks. There may be different prices and other places to shop and/or this may all change next month but I mention it fwiw... point being I so far feel I did well thanks to your all's input here... thanks again.