9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2016 9:20 AM by Just Shoot Me

Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.

graham(s) Level 1

Cant seem to find the answer but maybe I have missed this.

I shoot a number of client (portrait shoots) over the year and put them into a collection where I pick those to be provided work on those left and then export as high res Jpegs to supply to the client.

I now have numerous collections in my lightroom list. I was wondering is there a way of exporting individual collections which include those alterations done in Lightroom (which I understand will be recorded in the Catalogue), so that I can keep them on a separate external drive. This is primarily to free up space on the main computer, but also allows me to retain a set of the working images for a specific period of time, and then if anything further is required of the collection I can bring it back into Lightroom from the external drive.

Hope this makes sense and I can explain in more detail if required.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I think you are missing how the LR catalog works and what exactly it is.

The LR catalog file is just a database file where your images are referenced into it from where the images are actually stored on the hard drives connected to your system or over your local area network (LAN).

If you want to move images from your internal drive to an external drive there is no reason to export them from LR and then remove them from the LR catalog file. You can simply move them to the external drive from inside LR or by using your File Manager program and then Reconnect them in the LR catalog.

LR never changes the actual image file you have edited. It stores the edits you do in the LR catalog or if the option is checked to Auto write changes to XMP it also creates an XMP sidecar file that also stores the edits.

Only when you export an image do the edits get burned in to that exported file.

• 2. Re: Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.
            bob frost Level 3

"LR never changes the actual image file you have edited"

.......................................................................................... ..........

Unless it is a dng, or a jpg, tif, or psd, and you have checked your prefs to allow metadata to be stored in the actual file. LR will also alter your raw files, if you have checked your prefs to allow capture date edits to be stored in the raw file.

I try to avoid using the word 'never'!! It often proves to be untrue, and needs qualifying.

Bob Frost

• 3. Re: Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.
              bob frost Level 3

"Currently being moderated"

Why? Who have I upset?

Bob frost

• 4. Re: Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.
                dj_paige Level 9

"LR never changes the actual image file you have edited"'

A better wording is that Lightroom never change the image portion of your original photo files.

• 5. Re: Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.

Bob LR still doesn't change the actual image data in those files. It stores the edits in a special section of the file that when viewing that file in any other image viewing or editing program, except Adobe camera RAW, the image shown is the original without any LR edits.

And it only happens if the user has turn that Auto Write option on. Which by default it is turned off.

• 6. Re: Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.

bob frost wrote:

"Currently being moderated"

Why? Who have I upset?

Bob frost

No one. It is the Jive forum software that does this.

I had that problem for a while when posting links in my replies. Even if I posted a link to an Adobe webpage.

• 7. Re: Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.
                      bob frost Level 3

Bob LR still doesn't change the actual image data in those files.

.......................................................................................... ................

I know that, but that's not what was said! It said that LR never changes the files. Not the same. Let's not confuse people more than LR does already!!

Bob Frost

• 8. Re: Catalog Query - Lightroom CC.

bob frost wrote:

Bob LR still doesn't change the actual image data in those files.

.......................................................................................... ................

I know that, but that's not what was said! It said that LR never changes the files. Not the same. Let's not confuse people more than LR does already!!

Bob Frost.

Whatever. Have it your way. Anything else you want to Nit Pick about?