9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 4:25 PM by Just Shoot Me

Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.

mariusf89081963

Hello

I have just got a new pc:) Restored my old backup and all is fine whit that luckly.

I tryed to set my lightroom to make new backups and it does but on my old PC it made one Zip file as backup. Now it makes 2 files. 1 is named: Lightroom Catalog

2 is named: Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.zip.1049f7b8    The number after makes it so i cant unzip it. I can rename the file and unzip it but ther must be a way to just make a .zip? It did on my old pc.

Sorry for a bit bad english:(

Marius

• 1. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm using Lightroom CC 2015 on a Windows 10 computer. When Lightroom creates a backup on my system, it creates a folder and within that folder it creates a zip file. But the filename on my computer doesn't have those numbers following the extension. I have never read of this happening before. Problem is, I don't know how to tell you to fix it.

• 2. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
            JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

I am using Lightroom CC2015 on a Mac.  I get the same results as JimHess; a folder with the date and time created and a backup file named Lightroom Catalog.zip.  Can you post screen shots of what you are seeing?

• 3. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
              Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Such a number as part of the filename suggests an intermediate file. It seams to me, that the backup operation did not terminate correctly and could not clean up. You may try to rename the file to a .ZIP ending. It could be that it is readable, but I doubt That it is complete.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
                mariusf89081963 Level 1

I forgot to say. Yes it makes a new folder whit the 2 files in.

Added a screenshot. my os is norwegian tho:pScreenshot.jpg

• 5. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Feierwoon wrote:

Such a number as part of the filename suggests an intermediate file. It seams to me, that the backup operation did not terminate correctly and could not clean up. You may try to rename the file to a .ZIP ending. It could be that it is readable, but I doubt That it is complete.

The file is unusable!

Here's what I see during the catalog backup. If the file with number extension is showing as below then the backup did not complete due to a system shutdown, entering standby mode, or perhaps insufficient memory due to launching another application during the backup.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What is happening is first LR makes a copy of the catalog file in the folder specified in the backup dialog window, which is the first entry in the screen shot you posted. Then it compresses that copy into a ZIP file. Then lastly it deletes the copy of the catalog.

Since you end up with the copy of the catalog and a ZIP file with extra characters after the .zip file extension LR is not completely the compressing of the catalog file.

Why that is happening I'm not sure.

Why not do a test backup to your D: internal drive and see if it completes correctly. If it does then something is happening on the Seagate Expansion drive that is stopping it.

• 7. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
                      Abambo Adobe Community Professional

OP says that he can rename and unzip. So the structure may be correct and the backup process may have stopped just before Lightroom renames the file. A lot of may-be! I wouldn't trust the backup files, but if my life would depend on them, I would try using them.

• 8. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
                        mariusf89081963 Level 1

Still not got it to work properly:(

Yesterday for some reason it did work. Just out of the blue it did make a .zip. Was hoping it was working but no... today its back to strange files again.

Renaming and unziping works to a degree. I can unzip it but it dont work when i restore to Lightroom.

• 9. Re: Backup Zip file isent realy a zip file.
                          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Actually there is no need to worry about the ZIP file with the extra characters at the end. Just Delete it. You also have a real copy of the catalog file. You can take that and run 7 Zip on it to compress it. Yes more work.

The problem lies with your computer. Something in your computer, maybe hardware, maybe other software (Like a virus scanner), is stopping the backups to complete successfully. It is not LR all by itself.

2 people found this helpful