26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 8:39 AM by sixpixx

Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working

besakof Level 1

Hello,

I've been using Lightroom for a few months now, and am just having an issue with it. I'm trying to export JPEG's full size (should be 15mb-30mb per file), and it's only doing 6mb max. All export setting are unchecked (I made sure nothing was selected like resizing, etc). Any ideas what this could be and how I could fix it?

• 1. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
          dj_paige Level 9

besakof wrote:

Hello,

I've been using Lightroom for a few months now, and am just having an issue with it. I'm trying to export JPEG's full size (should be 15mb-30mb per file), and it's only doing 6mb max.

This doesn't sound correct to me. JPGs, by definition, involve compression (there's no such thing as an uncompressed JPG) and so if you're starting with a RAW photo and export as JPG, 6mb sounds very reasonable.

Full size would be in pixels (or megapixels) anyway, full size has nothing to do with megabtyes.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
            JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

The size of the jpeg files in mb is not a measure of whether they are full size or not.  If you want the highest quality full size image, be sure to select quality = 100 and leave the size values unchecked.  The size measurement is in the number of pixels (width and height) of your image, which would be the same as the Raw file.

• 3. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
              besakof Level 1

I'm just confused why Lightroom suddenly starting exporting files in that size. Every single other time when I've exported, it exports 15-30mb. Nothing about the RAW files themselves or edits are any different.

• 4. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working

Yes, they are different.  Jpeg compression depends upon the actual content of the image.  An image with lots of blue sky at the same Hue and Luminosity throughout will be a much smaller file than an image with a wide variety of changing detail throughout.

• 5. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                  Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Full sized has nothing to do with file size. It would help to know which resolution you're doing. My best quality exports for my EOS 5dM3 are 12Mb. DId you ever check the resolution of your JPEG files or are you only looking at file size? Your indications let me think that you didn't look into the resolution.

It would also help to post a screen copy of your export settings.

As dj_paige says, JPEG is a lossy compression file format. And 6Mb is quite a good size. I try to keep my JPEG files around 3Mb. That gives a very good quality.

• 6. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                    Abambo Adobe Community Professional

besakof wrote:

I'm just confused why Lightroom suddenly starting exporting files in that size. Every single other time when I've exported, it exports 15-30mb. Nothing about the RAW files themselves or edits are any different.

We can't judge on this, because we do not know what has been your changes. If you show us your parameters, we can advice on how to configure your export.

• 7. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                      dj_paige Level 9

besakof wrote:

I am quite skeptical that Lightroom was previously exporting 15-30mb JPGs. In fact, I'm going to say that it's impossible to get a 15-30mb JPG from Lightroom unless you have an absolutely huge Panorama. Perhaps they were 15-30mb TIF or PSD or RAW or DNG files, I would believe that. Or perhaps you are confusing megapixels and megabytes, these are not the same and should never be confused with one another.

• 8. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                        besakof Level 1

Photos are taken on a Nikon D750, 24 MP. Edits are no different than before (just basic retouching). Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 1.09.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-07 at 1.09.27 PM.png

• 9. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                          besakof Level 1

A screenshot of an image size I exported last night from Lightroom, no different editing or size/resolution wise...Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 1.12.32 PM.png

• 10. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working

Please post screen shots of this image and one that exports at 6MB.  Also please post the file size in pixels (W and H).

• 11. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jpeg size correlates most with the amount of entropy in the image. In general this means noise or more accurately, randomness. The more noise, the bigger the picture. A 6MB image from a 24 MP camera is nothing strange if it is shot at base ISO and doesn't have much fine detail (lots of sky or broad expanses of similar color). A 28.5 MB jpeg image from the same camera is almost impossible and must be extremely noisy or extraordinarily detailed.

P.S. a very nice exposé on JPEG quality is here: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings  . It shows that you only very rarely need to go above quality 85 to get visually indistinguishable results and that almost always the default of 75 is just fine. Going to quality 100 only gives much bigger files but visually indistinguishable results from the quality right below which you get for settings between 85 and 92 and will only waste disk space and upload bandwidth.

2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                besakof Level 1

Understand what everyone is saying, however, my question is why there was the sudden change in export file size Lightroom randomly started doing.

• 13. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Because it wasn't the same image. Different complexity therefore different file size. If you were exporting the same image than at the same export settings you should always get the same filesize.

• 14. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Every images is different. More or less detail, more or less noise. Please look at one of the images you have exported to that larger size and do a second export of the original RAW file. Does it come up to the same or near file size? If it does then the file you are exporting at the lower file size doesn't have as much detail or noise as the one that comes out at the larger file size.

• 15. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                      besakof Level 1

I exported the same image today and last night, today's version is 20 MB smaller, no changes to any edits or export settings.

• 16. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The one you exported last night did you place it in the DropBox folder or some other folder?

If it was to the DB folder then it must still be there. Please post a screen shot of the DB folder showing both images and the Details of them, IE the file size.

• 17. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dj_paige wrote:

I am quite skeptical that Lightroom was previously exporting 15-30mb JPGs. In fact, I'm going to say that it's impossible to get a 15-30mb JPG from Lightroom unless you have an absolutely huge Panorama. Perhaps they were 15-30mb TIF or PSD or RAW or DNG files, I would believe that. Or perhaps you are confusing megapixels and megabytes, these are not the same and should never be confused with one another.

I just exported a slightly cropped image from my D7100, which is a 24 MP camera. Not a panorama, just a single image. I used the same settings used by the OP. The size of the exported JPEG was 14.1 MB. The particular image that I exported was from a raw file, but I also shot a JPEG at the same time. The original JPEG measures 11.9 MB. There have been other reports of this particular "problem". I realize that image content can impact the size. But it seems that some users are experiencing this phenomenon.

2 people found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                            Stevetaylor1234 Level 1

I have the same issue mate. I have a fresh install of Windows 10 and a fresh install of Lightroom CC.

What I have done and it seems to be working is, then when you are in the export dialog box the best thing to do is hit resize and go to the % box and resize to 100%. This has fixed my issue at the minute

Hope that helps

• 19. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How about sharing your original raw file and an XMP of the settings with us so we can test?

You can create the XMP by right-clicking on the image thumbnail, choosing Metadata / Save Metadata to File

Then upload the raw and the XMP file to www.dropbox.com and post (a) public share link(s) to the files in a reply, here.

• 20. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                                chris.stein

Thanks for posting about resizing to 100%.

Regarding the other posts, yes, the people who are saying not to focus on file size are correct. However the battle over filesize is masking the real problem. For some reason Lightroom is resizing photos by default when there is nothing checked in Resize. I had RAW images that were 3456x5184. When I exported them through Lightroom I was getting images that were 1707x2560 (basically 50%). Reset was not checked. The only way I could get it to export JPG files at the original dimensions was to Resize to 100%.

This is some kind of error in Lightroom or at least a very non-obvious setting.

• 21. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                                  dj_paige Level 9

When I exported them through Lightroom I was getting images that were 1707x2560

Lightroom is using a smart preview that was available because the actual original file is offline or missing. You need to connect the disk with the actual files, and/or reconnect Lightroom to the new location of the file.

• 22. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                                    chris.stein Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion but that (offline or missing file) wasn't the problem. I haven't had time to test this hypothesis but the problem I had may be related to the fact that the images were edited in the iPad Lightroom app as part of the process. Perhaps it's something to do with editing the files in both places or in the Sync process. Either way, setting the Resize to 100% was the quick fix solution.

• 23. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                                      sixpixx

Yesterday, my files were exporting fine. Today, they're exporting at approx. half the size. I have a file that is 5665px longest length, I want to export it at 5000px longest length. It's exporting at 2417 longest length. Why? I've gone over the settings in export dialogue box so many times and everything looks the same as yesterday. Oh, why?

• 24. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                                        dj_paige Level 9

as stated elsewhere in this thread, check to see if you are using a smart preview instead of the original photo

• 25. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                                          sixpixx Level 1

Thank you, I was. Somehow, the Lightroom location had become separated from the folder on the hard drive. Don't know why. Having to reconnect them now. Again, thank you @dj_paige

• 26. Re: Exporting Full Size JPEGs Not Working
                                                            sixpixx Level 1

And now VERY angry because I've lost all my keywording data for that subfolder