7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 11:14 AM by JimHess

Importing with Camera Settings?

csgaraglino Level 1

Is there a way to set the Import to automatically add a Camera Profile and Lens Correction on imports of RAW files?

• 1. Re: Importing with Camera Settings?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Not really AFAIK. RAW is RAW. RAW sensor data with no real camera settings involved other than WB and exposure compensation.

• 2. Re: Importing with Camera Settings?
            csgaraglino Level 1

But I can make these changes in the Develop Module?

• 3. Re: Importing with Camera Settings?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On an unedited file, go into Develop. Make sure everything is at zero (hit reset). Then go to the calibration tab. In profile, set your profile to "camera standard" and While holding the alt/option key, which changes the reset button to "Set Default", hit the "Set Default" button. Hit "Update to current settings". Now all new imports from this camera type will default to the camera default profile and your files should look close to the in-camera jpegs if your camera is at its default settings for picture style and contrast settings.

• 4. Re: Importing with Camera Settings?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

csgaraglino wrote:

But I can make these changes in the Develop Module?

I might of misconstrued your original post.

I thought you were asking if certain "In Camera" settings can be carried over when importing RAW image data into LR.

The "In Camera" settings mainly deal with JPG output not the RAW output.

But as pointed out above you can set the Default develop settings used for your model camera.

• 5. Re: Importing with Camera Settings?
                  csgaraglino Level 1

Ok - so here is the answer to my own question.

1. Open an existing NEF file.

2. Go to the Develop Module

3. Open the Camera Profile and select the option you want to use for the Default (I choose Camera Standard)

4. Open the Lens Correction and Check the Options you want. (I selected Remove CA & Enable PC)

5. On the right, click the "+" on Presets and save just Lens Correction & Calibration as your "Default Import".

Now each time you import, on the Top Right there is a section called Apply During Import - in there select the User Preset that you just created.

This will apply the Color Profile you selected - and it will also apply the Lens Corrections setting - based on the Lens used for that specific image.

• 6. Re: Importing with Camera Settings?
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Right on the money!

I do this for my imports.

• 7. Re: Importing with Camera Settings?
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Another way to do that is to make those suggested adjustments to a newly imported image and then save new camera defaults for the camera. Then you won't even there to worry about applying a preset when importing. Both methods work equally well. I just prefer not having to worry about the preset when importing.