6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2016 2:41 PM by elie_di

Cannot import photos to Lightroom

ann-mariek39645696

I have a new macbook air. I have uploaded photos from a memory card to the laptop. They are there when I go into ‘Photos’ on my mac. However, when I try to import into Lightroom, nothing. Under my name I have various folders – applications, desktop, documents, pictures, etc. But when I go into pictures, I cannot find the photos that I want to import…I am quite new to photos on mac and definitely new to Lightroom but I am baffled as to how to include my saved photos under the ‘Source’ option when I try to import to Lightroom. What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Cannot import photos to Lightroom
          JoeKostoss Level 4

If you are uploading to 'Photos' on your Mac, they will not appear in Lightroom.  Apple Photos and Adobe Lightroom don't play well together.  You will need to export the images from 'Photos' to a folder on your Mac before you can import into Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Cannot import photos to Lightroom
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Photos uses a Proprietary Package file, a file that is many subfolders packaged together to look like one file, that LR can't see inside of to see the images.

If you want to use LR you have to stop using Photos. Especially for getting images off a memory card and on to your hard drive.

• 3. Re: Cannot import photos to Lightroom
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is fairly easy to get Photos images into Lightroom but as others have said, you are best off not using Photos at all and directly importing into Lightroom instead of into Photos. This takes some jumping through hoops but mostly just means unchecking the option to open Photos for this card/camera when it comes up the first time and clicking out of it and simply opening Lightroom and doing an import there. To get the images that you already imported in Photos into Lightroom, find the "Photos Library" file (it might show the .photoslibrary extension depending on your preferences) which is by default inside your pictures folder in your home directory. Control click on this and choose "Show package contents". Select the "Masters" folder and drag that onto the Lightroom icon in your Dock. In the import panel that you get it is best to choose "Copy". You can also do "Add" but I wouldn't recommend that. With Copy make sure to choose the default options for destination, which should copy them into date segregated folders inside your Pictures folder.

• 4. Re: Cannot import photos to Lightroom
                ann-mariek39645696 Level 1

Thank you!  One more question... If I want to create albums in Lightroom, are these called collections?  I have created one collection but only has one photo in it.  I want to add my other photos to this but can't seem to be able to!

• 5. Re: Cannot import photos to Lightroom
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Collections are basically the same thing. To add images drag them from the grid area into the collection.

• 6. Re: Cannot import photos to Lightroom
                    elie_di Level 3

Or: 1. Create a new collection (even with nothing in it) or use an old collection.

2. From the right click menu on the collection, designate it the "TARGET COLLECTION".

3. Any photo. anywhere in the catalog grid, that you click on with the "B" key will become part of the collection - or if it is already in the collection, will be removed.