14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 2:37 PM by Roei Tzoref

AE not interpereting color values

ndenboer

I just updated to AE 13.8.1 and now when I import certain Quicktime files (Video Copilot Action Essentials) with PNG codec and HDTV rec709 color profile, the import all white without color data. I am unable to check any of the boxes in color management sub menu of interpret footage.

I tried changing my working color space in the project settings to a bunch of different profiles to no avail, including HDTV rec709, Adobe RGB, and a bunch of others but still won't interperate the color of these files.

All kinds of other footage imports fine with and without alpha.

Just these files for some reason.  Any insight as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: AE not interpereting color values
          ndenboer Level 1

Update - reverted to 13.8 and everything works fine so this is obviously a bug in 13.8.1

• 2. Re: AE not interpereting color values
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

this reminds me of a similar thread: New update has broken .mov PNG format

I am on 13.8.1 have the essential package too and can't recreate the problem.

please write the name of the file that gave you problems and I will test it in my system.

• 3. Re: AE not interpereting color values
              ndenboer Level 1

Thanks for checking! -didn't see that other thread

All of the files in action essentials have the same result for me. Wasn't limited to one particular clip.

More info -

My windows color profile is set to default (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)

running windows 10

5960 i7

64 GB ram

dual titan x GPUs

• 4. Re: AE not interpereting color values

sounds like a codec problem with quick time on windows 10 and 13.8.1 - that's what's in common for both of your threads.  do you have any codecs installed? I only have QuickTime installed with the essential components and that's it (no player or web components because of the recent security issues on quick time for windows)  although in 13.8.1, you can uninstall it completely and it stills show the VC Essentials fine. if we can't resolve this here or in the other thread, and other users don't have any ideas - please submit a bug report:Feature Request/Bug Report Form  so the team will be aware about this issue.

• 5. Re: AE not interpereting color values
                  ndenboer Level 1

Yeah I have a DnxHD codec and Miriazon Prores codec installed in quicktime.

I'll try and remove them and reinstall 13.8.1, but then I have the problem of not being able to render in the formats I need to deliver in :/

At least we can maybe see if this is the issue.

• 6. Re: AE not interpereting color values

can't you use 13.7.1 in the meantime? you know you can keep several versions of the software at the same time AND the project file will open all the way down to CC2014. you will have to try really hard to find some effect in 13.8 that you don't have in 13.7. (there are a few)

I had DNxHD and removed it for this test to see. it was fine with and without. I wonder if it's the PNG Codec problem +13.8.1+Windows10, or specifically something the essential package+13.8.1+Windows10. I would just render a test with PNG+ALPHA and check it out. this test is important because the more accurate steps to recreate the problem, the faster the team could find the problem and fix it. I would also click "I have the same question" in the other thread to get the team's attention hang in there brother.

• 7. Re: AE not interpereting color values
                      ndenboer Level 1

Damn, I definitely have a codec issue. Premiere won't import audio now on simple mp4 files. I removed all my codecs from the QT components forlder and I don't have any codecs listed in my remove programs list in control panel. Don't know what else to do here. I uninstalled premiere, media encoder and AE and same problems.

Maybe I'll have to roll back everything.

Any way I can find if there's another codec somewhere and how to fix?

• 8. Re: AE not interpereting color values
                        ndenboer Level 1

Premiere did prompt me to install a dolby codec the other day within premiere when I loaded some footage, could that be it? can't figure out how to find / delete it.

• 9. Re: AE not interpereting color values
                          ndenboer Level 1

Deleted Quicktime and VLC and that fixed everything. This is the first I learned of this Quicktime security issue. Totally sucks.

• 10. Re: AE not interpereting color values

thank you for updating the thread with the results so if you uninstalled quicktime then I assume that in versions below 13.8.1 you won't be able to import or export Quicktime. maybe you should consider to re-install with just the main components if you are planing to use previous versions. please mark your response as correct so that others will find what solved it quick.

• 11. Re: AE not interpereting color values
                              nicolasf62576117

Same issue there with the AE 13.8.1. Unable to read correctly a .png footage with premult alpha (your footage looklike a ghost of the main footage with bad RGB read).

Tried to uninstall VLC & QT, but no sucess (even after rebooting)

Tried to revert to AE 13.8.0, no sucess, black footage for each png.mov

Tried to reinstall last version of VLC (2.2.4) & QT (7.74.80.86) and everything look fine (finally)

As mentioned before, i'm guessing it's an issue with some colors profiles (mine was HDTV rec709 as the first post) and without any options to switch to another color profile for the .png footage.

I'm back with the H264 audio loop issue but at least I can render my film

- Win 7 x64

- Dell Precision T5600

- Intel Xeon E5-2630

- RAM 32Go

• 12. Re: AE not interpereting color values

Tried to uninstall VLC & QT, but no sucess (even after rebooting)

Tried to revert to AE 13.8.0, no sucess, black footage for each png.mov

it could be that it was still in the cache. on another thread even after removing QT there was a problem, and only after purging cache it solved it. Re: AE 13.8.1 BUG native QT png support

Tried to revert to AE 13.8.0,

I wouldn't do that. it's too buggy. better you move to 13.7

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: AE not interpereting color values
                                  nicolasf62576117 Level 1

I didn't took time to try purging my cache (which was probably the issue). But I cant figure out how can the footage issue be fixed by deleting the way to read it (in this case QT codec) I'm not saying it's not a solution or a bad idea, I just can't figure out how it fix the issue.

For the AE 13.8.0 I'm currently trying to honor my dead line (like every one I guess ) and I knew 13.8 was working fine yesterday (except for the audio loop known bug) I totally agree with the fact that I should revert to 13.7 but I didn't had time to try.

Tomorrow will be better to investigate much more on this 13.8.1 issue. I'll keep you up to date if I can find anything more.

• 14. Re: AE not interpereting color values

Thank you. after you meet your deadline, please update when you can. you are the first user that I have seen that had the 13.8.1 PNG+Alpha problem on windows 7 (all were Windows 10). I have Windows 7 too and if you can share the file - please do. if we can reproduce this bug and narrow it down it will help a great deal when share it with users and the team that can fix it.