11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 5:05 PM by rechmbrs

DNG converter and ACR

rechmbrs Level 1

I'd like to see DNG Converter on my system updated anytime ACR is updated by CC.  At present, I have to do it manually.  Is there a way for me to do the inclusion into CC update?

RONC

• 1. Re: DNG converter and ACR
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What do you use the DNG Converter for that it needs updated each time a new ACR comes out?

Is there a problem using the non-updated version?

• 2. Re: DNG converter and ACR
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The DNG converter is a standalone utility offered by Adobe. It is not part of the creative cloud package. The only way to install an update to the DNG converter is to install it separately. Why are you needing to use the DNG converter?

• 3. Re: DNG converter and ACR
              rechmbrs Level 1

Guys,

I coded some software based on the DNG-SDK a while ago so I could do an image analysis of raw files acquired for a special reason.  Different cameras, constantly changing, are used to create the raw files and I rely on DNG Converter to put those camera's raw files into DNG.  ACR doesn't preserve the raw the same way and if using with photoshop which I was via plugin I then have to play with external files.  DNG is so very helpful.

Also, I think you might be surprised at how many people convert raw to DNG for storage.   I acquire in DNG from my cameras.

Probably a selfish request but you never know.

Do ACR changes really necessitate DNG Converter changes?

RONC

• 4. Re: DNG converter and ACR
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A new version of the DNG Converter usually merely adds camera support, so if you’re not getting a new camera every time a new version of ACR is released, then you don’t really need a new version of the DNG Converter.   Occasionally there are bugs that are fixed or introduced.

So far you’ve given a reason that you use the DNG Converter, but not a reason why you’d need a new version each time one is released.

• 5. Re: DNG converter and ACR
                  rechmbrs Level 1

I need to be up to date for the cameras being used - every time a new Canon, Nikon, ... puts out a new DSLR, I get a the new raw.  This pushed me to DNG STK for the software.  Most involved seem to have funds to upgrade.

At present DNG Converter is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\  and is version 9.5.1xxxx.   At one time, I asked about how DNGC knew where the ACR files were and never got an answer.  If it goes to the correct place, I get the new camera info when ACR is updated but I have no idea.  DNG Converter includes ACR in the download.  Is that necessary?

Maybe some discussion within Adobe needs to decide to move the orphan to CC as it is really tied to the Photography CC option.

See bottom of Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x  for more reason to add to CC.  See opening image of with Ms Koss. 

RONC

• 6. Re: DNG converter and ACR

I'm still not following your workflow. If you are using Photoshop CC, and you keep camera raw up to date, then why do you need the DNG converter? If camera raw is up to date then you can download using Bridge and convert to DNG during the download. Or, you can save DNG files directly from camera raw. The DNG converter is a standalone program. Its primary use (in my opinion) is for people who are using an older version of Photoshop/camera raw and have a newer camera that is not supported. The DNG converter doesn't know where the ACR files are located. It doesn't need to know. It's sole purpose is to create DNG copies of raw files. Camera Raw doesn't have to be installed for the DNG converter to work. The latest version of camera raw and the latest DNG converter both support the same array of cameras. Additionally, unless there is some compelling reason for you to convert to DNG, that process isn't even needed. If you are on the latest version of camera raw then converting to DNG isn't going to give you any additional support.

• 7. Re: DNG converter and ACR
                      drmoss_ca

It isn't just for new unsupported cameras, but may prove useful in the long term for old unsupported cameras! Proprietary raw formats are annoying and may no longer be supported somewhere down the road. I use the Converter to import raw files into my current year folder as DNGs and then import them into LR. It might save me some grief one day.

I see there is no 'Check for Updates...' mechanism built into the app, and it isn't part of my CC subscription. Either would be nice and allow updates to be installed when available rather than relying on me going and looking for them!

• 8. Re: DNG converter and ACR

It isn't part of your CC subscription because it doesn't need to be. As long as you keep Photoshop and camera raw up-to-date you can do your DNG conversion using Bridge. The DNG converter isn't required because it isn't going to support any more cameras than the current version of camera raw supports.

• 9. Re: DNG converter and ACR
                          rechmbrs Level 1

Maybe it should be included on CC.  We are suggesting that Adobe CC staff, not you moderators, consider doing just that.

RONC

• 10. Re: DNG converter and ACR

Here is a link to the forum where such a request might receive more consideration from Adobe staff members:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 11. Re: DNG converter and ACR
                              rechmbrs Level 1

JimHess,

Thanks.  I'll try Photoshop Family Customer Community   as you suggest.

Cheers,

RONC