7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 11:24 PM by ManiacJoe

Viewing Lightroom catalog by date

Gar Powell-Evans

I want to browse family photos by date, much like Apple Photos, but for this the Lightroom interface is incredibly clunky.  You can't  scroll through a list of dated folders using a mouse or keystrokes and dates with month names in - created by Lightroom - are listed alphabetically

Is there a plugin which gives a more user friendly viewer? I'm a regular user of Lightroom for work and for that the project folder system is perfect, but when I want to go to last Christmas and scroll the weeks around it, or let the family dig in and find some pictures, the whole thing falls apart.

I've searched plugin sites, forums, and Google, but can't seem to find anything.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Viewing Lightroom catalog by date
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Set the Sort: to Capture time. It is in the Tool bar. If the Tool bar isn't visible hit the t key.

• 2. Re: Viewing Lightroom catalog by date
            Gar Powell-Evans Level 1

This is already set, but it's not an adequate solution for quickly browsing large numbers of images in date separated folders.  I know Lightroom well enough to know that there isn't a fix in the Library tab as it stands.

• 3. Re: Viewing Lightroom catalog by date
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Up near the top of the left hand panel select "All Photographs". If you first select the first image in the oldest folder you want to browse then that image will be selected when selecting All Photographs.

Or you can select multiple folders, continuous of not, in the Folders section, using the standard keyboard keys for continuous or non continuous selecting, to display just the images contained in those folders.

Or assign keywords to the images. Or place them into a collection.

• 4. Re: Viewing Lightroom catalog by date
                dj_paige Level 9

Gar Powell-Evans wrote:

This is already set, but it's not an adequate solution for quickly browsing large numbers of images in date separated folders. I know Lightroom well enough to know that there isn't a fix in the Library tab as it stands.

It seems to me, given the information provided by Just Shoot Me, that the library module does exactly what you want. You have to get out of folder mode, and click on All Photographs, or some filtered version of All Photographs, to be able to browse the photos the way you want. If that still doesn't meet your needs, please explain why.

• 5. Re: Viewing Lightroom catalog by date
                  Gar Powell-Evans Level 1

40,000 pictures spread over 15 years or so lead to a large block to scroll through.  Sure, I can go to the library filter, select a year, select a month etc.  It's doable but clunky. What I am asking is whether there's a plugin to make this easier.  I want a consumer interface to tack on to a professional tool so my family can browse it easily.  And I can find that event somewhere around Halloween 2007.

I'd like to know whether it exists or is even possible within the framework of the SDK.  You don't need to defend Lightroom to me, though; I've been using it for years and couldn't manage without it.

So, in summary: A block of photos with minimal distractions, divisions by year, month, day.  Location would be useful and being able to click directly from an individual image to its map location would be great.  That's about it.

• 6. Re: Viewing Lightroom catalog by date
                    Abambo Level 4

Gar Powell-Evans wrote:

I want a consumer interface to tack on to a professional tool so my family can browse it easily.

My family can browse developed pictures on the photoserver. What I did not develop is not to browse. As they are not LR literate, I would not risk having them to blow up my database.

• 7. Re: Viewing Lightroom catalog by date
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If your folders are organized by date, you can just select a directory and see what is in it. You can include subdirectories as needed for the viewing.