16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 6:39 AM by Brian Stoppee

New ACR UI

Brian Stoppee Adobe Community Professional

new_cr_ui.jpg

Everybody must like the new Adobe Camera Raw (ACR… or CR) User Interface (UI). It's been available for almost 5 months. We set out to take the temperature of the usually contentious internet chatter and it seems like most thinking on the ACR UI is quite positive. Most users are welcoming the fact that ACR finally resembles Bridge, Lightroom, Photoshop, and other of the Adobe Creative Cloud apps. We have been nudging Adobe to make those changes for years, so we're quite pleased with the UI change. Why's the new UI a good thing? Intense Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) users get into a workflow. The technical mechanics of the workflow triggers one lobe of their brain. The creative manipulation of the images happens in the other lobe. If users can focus on their creative lobe, as they jump from Bridge to Camera Raw to Photoshop, the entire process is more fluid. So, maybe that's why we were unsuccessful in finding complaints—users are pleasantly in their CC UI zone.

• 1. Re: New ACR UI
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think the new UI is fine. However, I have a frustration with the adjustment brush and the gradient tool. I think it would be a good idea to have a way to quickly reset all adjustments to default. I haven't found a way to do that, but it is possible to do so using Lightroom.

• 2. Re: New ACR UI

JimHess wrote:

I think the new UI is fine. However, I have a frustration with the adjustment brush and the gradient tool. I think it would be a good idea to have a way to quickly reset all adjustments to default. I haven't found a way to do that, but it is possible to do so using Lightroom.

You want reset the Camera Raw plug in to the defaults or do you want to strip out the changes you have made to the image?

• 3. Re: New ACR UI

I want a simple double-click to reset the gradient filter, adjustment brush and radial filter adjustments to their 0 position. This can quickly be done in Lightroom, but I haven't discovered a way to do it using camera raw. In Camera Raw, whenever I want to apply new adjustments using these specific tools I find it necessary to individually reset all adjustments to get them back to 0. Is there something I'm overlooking?

• 4. Re: New ACR UI

JimHess wrote:

I want a simple double-click to reset the gradient filter, adjustment brush and radial filter adjustments to their 0 position. This can quickly be done in Lightroom, but I haven't discovered a way to do it using camera raw. In Camera Raw, whenever I want to apply new adjustments using these specific tools I find it necessary to individually reset all adjustments to get them back to 0. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Camera Raw Preferences have defaults, Jim, and you used to have to go to Bridge to take care of such things but now they are in ACR.

Since you're one of my fellow ACPs, who is extremely active in the forums (many thanks) you know how to make a feature request?

• 5. Re: New ACR UI
                  Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

I love Spectrum (the newer UI).

• 6. Re: New ACR UI

Warunicorn wrote:

I love Spectrum (the newer UI).

Thank you. We were so pleased to see it become available.

• 7. Re: New ACR UI

Yeah, already done it. Thanks.

• 8. Re: New ACR UI

JimHess wrote:

Yeah, already done it. Thanks.

The CR team is very responsive to FRs (as witnessed by this topic)!

• 9. Re: New ACR UI

Rick Flohr responded to me on the Photoshop Family forum, and pointed out a feature that I was unaware of. So you can disregard this request. Thanks. Appreciate the communication.

• 10. Re: New ACR UI
                            Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim, if before you create a gradient or brush, if you click on one of the + or - icons next to something like exposure, it will reset all other controls. I do that all the time.

• 11. Re: New ACR UI

Chuck Uebele wrote:

Jim, if before you create a gradient or brush, if you click on one of the + or - icons next to something like exposure, it will reset all other controls. I do that all the time.

May I ask what use you find in ACR for gradient?

I ask because I'm attempting to understand workflow. It appears as if there's a growing effort to complete projects in CR without the need to use Ps. So I'd like to get a better sense as to how people use this.

• 12. Re: New ACR UI
                                Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Brian Stoppee wrote:

Chuck Uebele wrote:

May I ask what use you find in ACR for gradient?

I ask because I'm attempting to understand workflow. It appears as if there's a growing effort to complete projects in CR without the need to use Ps. So I'd like to get a better sense as to how people use this.

Not me; I couldn't finish composites without Photoshop, for sure. I still need ACR, though, for the more menial stuff (like color profiles, etc. I also like to do split toning when the fancy strikes me in there).

• 13. Re: New ACR UI

I use the gradient and radial gradient all the time to adjust various areas: darken skies, add vignettes, etc. I've been recently working on digitizing some old copy negs and there seems to be a light imbalance on most of them, so I'm tweaking them all with a gradient.

• 14. Re: New ACR UI

Also, when I was working, we shot thousands of images and ran them through a script that I wrote to add caveats and file info to the border of the images. To speed up our workflow, we tried to do as much as possible in ACR. The gradient tools were vital. These weren't master pieces, just good enough for engineers, but we still wanted the best quality possible in the least amount of time.

• 15. Re: New ACR UI

Warunicorn wrote:

Not me; I couldn't finish composites without Photoshop, for sure. I still need ACR, though, for the more menial stuff (like color profiles, etc. I also like to do split toning when the fancy strikes me in there).

That's the workflow we're used to but we understand how others have different needs.

• 16. Re: New ACR UI

Chuck Uebele wrote:

I use the gradient and radial gradient all the time to adjust various areas: darken skies, add vignettes, etc. I've been recently working on digitizing some old copy negs and there seems to be a light imbalance on most of them, so I'm tweaking them all with a gradient.

And, that's the new workflow I'm talking about.