5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2016 7:19 AM by Derek Cross

MARGINS AND BLEED

dianev70175383

Hi. Using Indesign CS6, I am trying to set print parameters for a book as required by the printers. They have instructed me they need a printable area of 148mm x 210mm with a bleed of 3mm. Also, I am adding chapters to the book as and when the editors have finished their proofreads. Is this possible on this software? Please could you advise.

• 1. Re: MARGINS AND BLEED
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If "printable area" is all they've given you aside from the bleed value, they owe you more information; namely trim size (which might actually be what they mean by 'printable area,' but I wouldn't assume that without express clarification).

Use InDesign's book panel to manage each chapter as a separate .indd file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MARGINS AND BLEED
            Derek Cross Level 6

148 x 210mm (A5) is the trimmed page size (TPS). You add 3mm to these measurements for bleed (for images that bleed). The type page area is usually around 15mm less than the TPS. Have a look at some books to see what margins would suit your book.

You can add chapters, front-matter, back-matter at any time.

When setting  your book select Print as the Intent and select Facing pages, and sRGB as the colour mode.

When you book is finalised you normally supply a PDF to your printer, usually PDF/X-4 unless you've been given a spec by your printer.

• 3. Re: MARGINS AND BLEED
              BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

When you are ready for the book:

Also, I am adding chapters to the book as and when the editors have finished their proofreads.

Create book files with Adobe InDesign

• 4. Re: MARGINS AND BLEED
                Abambo Level 4

You should have done 2 questions as you're asking different things.

For the bleed part, you could read this: Bleed (printing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Indesign it is possible to manage the bleed in the document set-up and during the PDF generation. Bleed is however only necessary, if your design reaches up to the page limits.

As for your book question: you will get answers from people who get attracted by the bleed question only... ;-)

2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: MARGINS AND BLEED
                  Derek Cross Level 6

When you state "add chapters" – do you mean the text will be written and supplied to you in (say) MS Word?

It will make your job much easier in the long run if you learn how to use styles, particularly Paragraph Styles and Character Styles (Character Styles style a word or words within a paragraph style).

If you have images in your document keep them all together in one folder inside another folder with the InDesign document and Place the images in the InDesign document.

Ensure these Placed images have an Effective Resolution of between 200 and 300ppi (you can check the Effective Resolution in the Links panel).

(A bit more than Margins and Bleed but you sound as if you need help!)

1 person found this helpful