2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 7:34 PM by shikamu

Merging small catalog into master catalog

shikamu Level 1

I have what is probably a common situation so I hope someone here can help me out.  I have LR on 2 Win10 computers.  One is larger with lots of storage space (ssd and hd) and usually stays at home.  The other is a small ultrabook that I use when away from home (sometimes for weeks or even a few months).  For the last 16 years I have had all my out-of-camera original photo files in a folder that contains monthly subfolders that look like this:

p-2000-01

p-2000-02

p-2016-07

p-2016-08

Currently I have almost 100k photos in these folders.  I have only these out-of-camera original photo files in my LR catalog.  My bigger home computer has all of these on an internal hd, but my small ultrabook has no where near enough space.  On the ultrabook I just have the more recent months. For example:

p-2016-05

p-2016-06

p-2016-07

p-2016-08

Okay, here is my question.  Can I create a small catalog on my ultrabook that has just the photos on it and then merge them into the big, master catalog on the home computer later?  I think the answer is yes, but here are some more possible gotchas that I am very unclear on:

1.  Let's say I do the merge to the home computer catalog and then later add more monthly folders and photos to the ultrabook and import them into the small catalog.  Now the small catalog has photos that had already been merged into the big, master catalog and newer photos that are only in the small catalog.  Can I then merge this new version of the small catalog with the master catalog and there will not be any problems because some of the photos in the small catalog had previously been merged into the master catalog?

2.  Now further consider that some of the older photos in the small catalog that had previously been merged into the master catalog have later had changes made on the ultrabook (editing, star rating change, etc.).  When I do the next merge of this small catalog to the master which already has these photos in it will the changes made since the last merge also be carried over?