7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 3:56 AM by Peter Spier

Sequence mistake of contents

memuriko Level 1

In some case, we made a book with many text frames, and place the chapter texts in the same page with common titles ( not linked ).

Then, Indesign processed a wrong CONTENTS, that those chapter texts placed in incorrect sequence.

It's many many pages like this, and I cannt link them in one text flow.

So, how can I deal with it, but not to edit them one by one.

EG:

1-1.png

1-2.png

• 1. Re: Sequence mistake of contents
          memuriko Level 1

A big book, and we replace articles frequently. Every time, refresh the contents, we have to edit texts of contents one by one.

• 2. Re: Sequence mistake of contents
            andrewb38571671 Level 1

Is the "Chapter B" Heading further up the page than "Title B-1"? I played with something like this and worked out that even if every heading was in a different frame, the order is driven by when they are on the page, starting from the top and going to the bottom.

Initially I thought it might be something like the problem where you have figure numbers in different frames and it numbers them by the order that they're put onto the spread, so you sometimes have to cut and re-paste each one to get the numbering right. This doesn't appear to be the case with TOCs though.

• 3. Re: Sequence mistake of contents
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi memuriko,

what is the exact version of InDesign on what OS?

Another thing you can try:

Export the document to IDML, open and save with a new name.

Recreate the TOC.

Maybe a text frame is slightly damaged in your document?

I would draw out new text frames for all the chapter and subchapter titles and type in the contents anew.
              Not copy/paste the formatted contents from the original frames.

An additional question:
              Do you work exensively with hyperlinks in your document?

Regards,
              Uwe

• 4. Re: Sequence mistake of contents
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

TOC listing order is controlled by both the vertical and horizontal position on the page, with frames starting further left appearing before frames to their right in left-to-right  languages.

Rather than setting up separate frames is there a way for you to use one frame on the page and indents and spacing in your paragraph styles to position the text correctly?

• 5. Re: Sequence mistake of contents
                  memuriko Level 1

The process is a little complicated. Its writer changed titles, layer design and articles' sequence frequently. So I cannt ensure which text frame was made earlier.  Even some chapter texts were changed to VICTOR, so I had to type another text and hide it for contents.

and, in my country's websites, it's said that "MORE LEFT frame" or "adjust the sequence of paragraph styles" will solve it, but they are all not work.

• 6. Re: Sequence mistake of contents
                    memuriko Level 1

this problem contains since CS4( when I started ) to the newest CC 2015. Chinese version , winXP-32 win10-64.

So, I usually keep text frames linked as much as possible. But I often cannt keep it in those like magazine, dictionary or family history book.

and totally redo the document into an new one seemed impossible, because their writers/inspectors may continually edit and check the contents.

It's really a problem.

• 7. Re: Sequence mistake of contents
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You may have an additional problem on the way if you are continually "recycling" files for new versions of things like magazines instead of starting fresh form a template for each issue. At least once a year we see a report here of a document that has a catastrophic failure (invariably at deadline) and it turns out to be a "recycled' file. While InDesign files are quite stable, they are not totally immune to small corruptions, and those small corruptions can accumulate over may edits to a fatal level.

Ultimately, redesigning a template to properly accommodate your TOC and allow for changes will be a big time saver in the long run.