9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2016 4:11 PM by ChrisPbass

Import and location of files

ChrisPbass Level 1

First of all, I have only used LR very briefly and only for this one purpose.

Goal: Get rid of duplicate photos

I asked on a forum: How can I get rid of duplicate photos?  I was told that LR did it automatically when importing.  Suhweet.  Downloaded and installed.  I created the library on a new 5tb HD.  I dragged my entire picture folder from one HD to the library in the LR interface.  When it was done I did the same thing with HD #2.

The HDs were mirrored drives I used for backup at one point, but I had some issues and eventually started using 1 or the other.  A very lazy way to do things but there never seemed to be enough time and I always needed the SD card(s) ASAP.  I mention that because that lets me know that the libraries' contents are correct (# and size anyway).  I know that the files made it to the 5tb HD because of the # of files and the size of the library folder.

Problem: I cannot see the individual pictures on the 5tb HD.  All the metadata is there but there is not one picture file visible (.jpb .nef etc...)  I was going to delete both folders on the smaller, original HDs but there is no way I'm doing that without 100% assurance that I can get what I need without LR.

The LR Library shows 'Folders' and in that is ONLY 1 of the folders I copied from.

The files from the 2 picture HDs are all still intact.

On a hunch I, just now, added the 5tb HD library to LR's 'Folders' and it says no photos found.

What do i need to do?  Should I delete the library on the 5tb HD and this time use the file/import/COPY from the menu?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Import and location of files
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From what you have described, it isn't clear to me that you have actually gone through the import process in Lightroom. Have you? Have you actually used the import dialog? The import process gives you the option to Add images that are already on your hard drive. This process doesn't physically add the images to Lightroom in any way. It simply adds them in their present location to the catalog thus enabling Lightroom to keep track of the images as well as the adjustments you make to them.

• 2. Re: Import and location of files
            dj_paige Level 9

ChrisPbass wrote:

First of all, I have only used LR very briefly and only for this one purpose.

Goal: Get rid of duplicate photos

I asked on a forum: How can I get rid of duplicate photos? I was told that LR did it automatically when importing. Suhweet. Downloaded and installed. I created the library on a new 5tb HD. I dragged my entire picture folder from one HD to the library in the LR interface. When it was done I did the same thing with HD #2.

Problem: I cannot see the individual pictures on the 5tb HD.

This is a very confused way of handling things, and it would undoubtedly help you if you spent some time learning about how Importing works and how Lightroom works. This will save you a huge amount of time and frustration. Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV, also Free Adobe Lightroom Quick Start PDF eBooks to learn the basics

Your specific problem seems to be that when you drag folders onto Lightroom, it imports the photos but leaves the photos exactly where they are, on the other HDs. So, you cannot see the individual pictures on the 5TB HD? That's correct, because the photos are not there, they are still on your other HDs.

Furthermore, let's be very specific. Lightroom is a database, it does not contain your photos at all. It does not "see" photos that are on your hard disk like WIndows Explorer or Mac Finder does. It only knows about photos you have imported, and it only knows about the folders that have at least one imported photo. Since your photos have been left in their existing location on the other HDs, then Lightroom will report no photos on the 5TB HD.

If you're only goal is to eliminate duplicates, Importing into Lightroom should be able to eliminate duplicates IN IT'S DATABASE, but importing into Lightroom will not eliminate the duplicates on your hard disks. So I doubt Lightroom will do what you want here.

• 3. Re: Import and location of files
              ChrisPbass Level 1

Amen to what you said.  I realize that I did not use the correct process.  I know understand that the library was simply pointing to the files and not actually doing anything with the files.

I have since

created a new library on new 5tb HD

created a folder on the new 5tb HD for the pics from the 2 3tb HDs

used the import to copy the files from the 1st 3tb HD to the 5tb HD

used the import to copy the files from the 2nd 3tb HD to the 5tb HD

The import worked both times but there are *many* pictures that did not copy..

I did it again and LR said all the files to be imported were already copied.

All my pictures are in a folder called pictures (shocking eh?),  In that folder are sub-folders named Year/Month.  I am selecting the root folder and import/copying to the new folder on the 5tb.  It's just not working.

LR is the trial version and the trial has run out.  Is this a result of 'reduced functionality'?

• 4. Re: Import and location of files
                dj_paige Level 9

The import worked both times but there are *many* pictures that did not copy..

I did it again and LR said all the files to be imported were already copied.

Why do you say this? What evidence is there that photos did not import into Lightroom? What do you see on your screen that tells you this?

When you say you created a "new library", does this mean that you create a new Lightroom catalog? Or something else? Exactly how did you create this new library?

• 5. Re: Import and location of files
                  ChrisPbass Level 1

I guess I created a catalog, not a library.

I created the file in explorer and then in LR: File / new catalog and I browsed to the new folder.

There is nothing on my screen that says pictures did not import but there are pictures in the 2 folders I exported from that are not in the new folder.  I know because I have searched and they don't exist in the new folder.

In explorer, I pick a picture in the folder that I exported from and I search for it in the new folder.   I *am* most definitely a total beginner with LR but I know how to find pictures. 

My understanding is that when I Import / Copy / choose source (5tb HD) that all pictures would be copied.  that has most definitely not happened.

I guess there is no real way, short of remoting into my pc, for you to see what I have managed to (not) accomplish.  You must be thinking 'he just can't find the picture.' but, I assure you, there are some missing.  And by some, I mean a ton.

below is a pic.  on the left is a search on one of the old HDs *.jpg.  wildcard search that looks for any file with .jpg extension.  I did the same thing on the new 5tb HD (in my catalog folder).  That is on the right.

What should I do?  I have no problem reformatting the 5tb HD ( i bought it only for these pictures) and doing the whole process again but I just don't see what else I can do.  It really is pretty simple, isn't it?

1. create folder

2. create catalog @ new folder

3. file / import /copy / select my picture folder / point to 5tb

4. repeat w/2nd HD which should only copy pics that are not on the 1st HD.

5. profit

import.PNG

• 6. Re: Import and location of files
                    wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I agree with DJ_Paige,  I think you do not understand how Lightroom works. And you must read the links to help you understand.

As you have not used Lightroom for any serious editing  ("only used LR very briefly"), my suggestion would be-

1. Close Lightroom, (Do not use it - yet!)

2. Use the Operating System to COPY all your images to the new 5TB HD. (In a folder hierarchy that suits you.)

3. Re-open Lightroom, Start a NEW catalog, {File > New Catalog..}, give it a 'new' name,

4. Use the [Import] with the "ADD" option to add all your images on the 5TB HD into one new Lightroom catalog database. Select the Source as the top-most folder on the 5TB HD and check [include sub-folders]

*Be vary careful to note the name of the 'new' working catalog and do NOT delete it!

Only when you have this new catalog showing all your files on the 5TB HD then you can-

Use the operating system to selectively delete the previous incomplete catalogs that Lightroom had created.

I have suggested this to other friends with similar problems. Confusion is often answered by starting afresh.

You will lose any and all editing work you may have done in Lightroom, but that may be minimal.

Now you will have the opportunity to look in the Lightroom catalog library to find duplicates, and begin working with your photos.

And in future never use the operating system to re-name, move, or delete, files on the 5TB HD. That is now the job for Lightroom.

• 7. Re: Import and location of files
                      dj_paige Level 9

There is nothing on my screen that says pictures did not import but there are pictures in the 2 folders I exported from that are not in the new folder.  I know because I have searched and they don't exist in the new folder.

This is the first time in this thread you have mentioned exported photos, I have no idea what you exported or why exporting is relevant.

In explorer, I pick a picture in the folder that I exported from and I search for it in the new folder.   I *am* most definitely a total beginner with LR but I know how to find pictures.

How do you find pictures? Explain the method.

My understanding is that when I Import / Copy / choose source (5tb HD) that all pictures would be copied.  that has most definitely not happened.

If the proper option (Include subfolders) is selected, all pictures of the proper file types will be imported and copied. What file types are these that didn't import?

Let me ask one other question ... you are doing all of this to eliminate duplicates? Do you have any other use in mind for Lightroom, or is the entire usage of Lightroom to eliminate duplicates? If you just want to eliminate duplicates and you're not going to be using Lightroom for any other purpose, may I suggest a different approach? The approach I would suggest is to go to your favorite search engine and type in something like "find duplicate photos".

And even so, I am skeptical that Lightroom is the tool you want to delete duplicates, it will not delete duplicates, even if the process performs as you expect it to. What will this process do? It will not import the duplicates if things work as expected, but the duplicates will still remain on your hard disks.

• 8. Re: Import and location of files
                        ChrisPbass Level 1

This is the first time in this thread you have mentioned exported photos, I have no idea what you exported or why exporting is relevant.

@@@@@@You can't have import without export.  I exported them out of 1 folder and imported them to the other.  Like I said, I used the file /import function in LR and I copied.

How do you find pictures? Explain the method.

@@@@@ Really?  Original folder: rt click / properties 'DSC_9876.jpg.  Go to folder with imported pictures in explorer, type in DSC_9876.jpg in the search box in the top right window of explorer.  Nothing found?  *9876.*  Nothing found.  Repeat this time using explorer at the root of the drive so it searches every single folder

If the proper option (Include subfolders) is selected, all pictures of the proper file types will be imported and copied. What file types are these that didn't import?

@@@@@@ .jpg files.  did you see the snip in my last post.  Do you see how there are 50k files on the left and 9k on the right?  That is post-import.

Let me ask one other question ... you are doing all of this to eliminate duplicates? Do you have any other use in mind for Lightroom, or is the entire usage of Lightroom to eliminate duplicates? If you just want to eliminate duplicates and you're not going to be using Lightroom for any other purpose, may I suggest a different approach? The approach I would suggest is to go to your favorite search engine and type in something like "find duplicate photos".

And even so, I am skeptical that Lightroom is the tool you want to delete duplicates, it will not delete duplicates, even if the process performs as you expect it to. What will this process do? It will not import the duplicates if things work as expected, but the duplicates will still remain on your hard disks.

@@@@@@  YES.  I am not asking LR to delete anything.  I am doing this to funnel two, almost,identical folders with over 50K pictures into 1 folder so I can reorganize.  This is my way of making sure I have all pictures.  Guess how I came upon this solution?  By going to r/photography on reddit and asking the question you're suggesting I ask.  There is no reason that LR should not work. It should import 1 OLD folder into the NEW folder and any pictures that are imported into that NEW folder that are already in the NEW folder (duplicates) should not be imported.  It seems like THE solution.  It just isn't working.  It is most definitely not importing all the pictures.  The only thing I can of is that the trial is expired and that's why it's not working but I really doubt that's the problem.

Thank you for your help.  I think this thread deserves to die a nice death.  It is a very simple process and it is simply not working for me.

• 9. Re: Import and location of files
                          ChrisPbass Level 1

Thank you.  Starting new seems the way to go but my only reason for using LR is so that when I imported *from 2 almost identical folders* the duplicates would be deleted.  there's no way on earth that I'm going to look through 2 sets of 50k pictures to see which are dupes.