12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 4:59 AM by Laubender

List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC

angelinam43091049

I often have to do a document with many custom size pages in Indesign. The 'report' Indesign generates doesn't provide a list of page sizes only the document original size. Acrobat can show the page size in the lower toolbar but this is no good if you have bleed and tim marks etc. There is also the pdf analysis where I can find the art box size but I can't even copy out the text. I need to make a list of each page size to give to printers and clients. It very laborious doing this page by page and typing in. Is there someway to do this.

• 1. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

First of all, do you want to have different page sizes or did it happen accidentally.

If you want to have the same size on every page, reapply every master on each master and page.

In InDesign you can observe the page size with the page tool selected in the control bar. If you want to change the page size document wide, you should not do it via the page tool, but with File > Document Setup…

• 2. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC
            philippanmei Level 4

If you provide the screenshot, it will be faster to solved the problem.

Thanks

• 3. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC
              angelinam43091049 Level 1

I want different page sizes. I don't think you understand my query. For example, I have currently a indesign file that has 25 unique page sizes (width is constant but depth varies) to be produced as artwork labels for a museum. The printer requires that I send a list to him of each page size (so they can quote accordingly etc). There seems to be no other way to do this except through checking the custom page size for each page ( in the 'pages' window in Indesign), and manually write/type down the dimensions like this. Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 16.53.31.png

The only other way I can find the individual page size is through the 'preflight' function in acrobat but it's the same. I can't even copy out the measurement from the preflight window (see screenshot). Where does acrobat or indesign have a list of the page sizes in one document! Doing this manually for each page is ridiculous! The 'report' you can generate in indesign when you go to package doesn't even list the page sizes. Seems to me the 'report' function should have this information.

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 16.57.55.png

• 4. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC
                Luke Jennings Level 4

In the Acrobat preflight window, there is a little button in the lower right corner called Create Report, this will produce a PDF report where you can copy and paste the info. Typically, the larger agencies will provide this info in the slug area of the InDesign file, the name of the file, and other info, can be added using variable text, unfortunately, custom page sizes cannot, AFAIK. (If a page from another InDesign file was placed, the metadata from that page could theoretically be used as variable text in the slug info).

You might make a feature request for future versions, although having many page sizes in the same document is not common.

File Info.png

• 5. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC

I can't find the 'create report' button in preflight Acrobat. The drop down menu (top right)  in preflight has 'create report' ghosted out. I will make a suggestion for a feature that can be easily accessed that lists all the page sizes in Acrobat and Indesign. It's been bugging me for years since they introduced the custom pages function in Indesign. You would be surprised how many designers use this function - it's been one of the best features they have introduced. There are many situations where you need to use different size pages. I've used it for roll fold brochures, book covers with spine, dust jackets for books, press ads, signs ... Because there is no simple easy way to find whether custom page sizes have been used in a document in Indesign it is a risky feature to use.

• 6. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC
                    Luke Jennings Level 4

I also like the custom page size function, I use it all the time, but rarely for more than a few pages. What version of Acrobat are you using? The create report button appears in the Preflight Results window in Acrobat DC.

Preflight report.png

• 7. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC

I'm using CC - I thought maybe you were talking about a different 'report' feature. I can't find anything under 'profiles>Pdf analysis' where a list of pages sizes could be created as a report. What should I be looking for under 'profiles'?

• 8. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC
                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Angelina,

Kasyan Servetsky is listing a lot of useful scripts on his website.

One is Check all pages within one Indesign document have same size.jsx by Hans-Gerd Claßen.

It will open and close all InDesign files in a folder you select and will write a text report in case the script finds a file with different page sizes. The report file will be written as text file to the same folder listing the page sizes of the checked InDesign documents:

http://kasyan.ho.com.ua/downloads/check_all_pages_within_one_Indesign_document_have_same_s ize.zip

One tiny flaw, that can be corrected in the code, is that if you cancel the select folder dialog, the script will return an error. To change this just insert an additional line of code after:

var selFolder = Folder.selectDialog();

Here the line added that will exit the script, if you cancel the dialog:

var selFolder = Folder.selectDialog();
                        if(selFolder == null){exit()};

For using and editing scripts see the following instructions:

Indiscripts :: Indiscripts for Dummies

Regards,
                        Uwe

• 9. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC

Found another flaw, that could spoil the report's name in case your InDesign document is using a name where the four characters indd are part of its base name.

Example:

minddetection.indd

will force the following report text file name:

Metection.inddtxt

So the following line of code:

toFile(currDoc.name.replace(/indd/,''), currDocPagesWidthHeight.join(''));

should be replaced with:

toFile(currDoc.name.replace(/\.indd$/,'.'), currDocPagesWidthHeight.join(''));

i changed the GREP in the replace() method so that the indd suffix will be replaced only.

Regards,
                          Uwe

• 10. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC

Plus some notes on the script's report:

1. All values reported are in the measurement units of your rulers

2. The values are not rounded.

So a typical report for an A4 document with two pages could read like this:

( To trigger the report I set page 1 to A4 in portrait mode and page 2 in landscape mode )

1: 209.999999999936 x 841.889763778

2: 296.999999999461 x 595.275590551

Where the horizontal values are in millimeters and the vertical values are in points, if your rulers are set respectively.

Also note, that the numbers at the start of the reported lines are names, not numbers.
                            So if you have a document that starts with a page named "23" the report will be shown like that:

23: 209.999999999936 x 841.889763778

24: 296.999999999461 x 595.275590551

The numbers in your Acrobat preflight will show different values according to the preferences for the measurement system that is set with Acrobat.

Regards,
                            Uwe

• 11. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC

Thank you so much this is exactly what I was looking for. I had trouble with downloading the script so I contacted Kasyan who sent me the script by email. I've done a simple test on a couple of indesign files and it works wonderfully and will save me a lot time and frustration. Thanks to all.

• 12. Re: List (accessible text) page sizes in Acrobat CC or Indesign CC

Hi Angelina,

glad it worked for you.

Just a note on downloading the script. I had no trouble to download the script from Kasyan's website.
                                But I could not extract the zip with my OSX tools. I'm on a Mac. Instead I used the free Stuffit Expander app for OSX.

Regards,
                                Uwe