2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 9:03 AM by rob day

Duplex Printing for Signatures in Indesign CC

ak27597050

Hello All,

I have been trying to print a PDF into a booklet and have run into some issues. First, I tried Acrobat DC, using the booklet menu in the print dialog, however there was no option for signatures. I managed to import and place all of the PDF pages (277) in total into a InDesign document as it has the signature option for printing. Once my book was all formatted, I proceeded to the Print Booklet menu, and selected 2-up perfect bound to allow for the signatures dialog to be available. I selected 8 for the signature size (is that good for a 280 page book printed on 8.5x11's?) and set up the printer settings, however my printer does not have duplex printing. In order for me to print duplex, I have to print the odd pages first, flip, and then print the even pages. Under the Pages option on the Setup menu of the Print Booklet Dialog, there is a range option, however the two options are "All Pages" and "Letter - Half V". Regardless of which one is chosen, the preview shows 140 pages to be printed. How would I fix this to allow me to print only 70 pages, arranged in signatures of 8 (or whatever the best signature size would be). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you to all!

• 1. Re: Duplex Printing for Signatures in Indesign CC
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can type page numbers directly into that field as well, but I think it's easier to print the whole file to PDF (PC) or to Postscript and Distill (Mac), then do the actual printing from Acrobat where you can specify odd/even (and PDFs print faster, and more reliably, than printing direct from ID).

• 2. Re: Duplex Printing for Signatures in Indesign CC
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, I tried Acrobat DC, using the booklet menu in the print dialog, however there was no option for signatures.

You could get the equivalent of signatures in Acrobat by send batches of pages to the printer. So to get 16 page signatures print 17 booklets—1-16, 17-32, 33-48, etc. I would think that would be easier than the round trip to ID and back via postscript:

Sig 1:

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 11.52.57 AM.png

Sig 2:

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 11.52.42 AM.png

etc

2 people found this helpful