6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 10:36 PM by adobeUser89432341

MAJOR BUG at Director 12 - Please Fix it Adobe ...

adobeUser89432341 Level 1

Bug On Director 12 when i Try to import an HTML page the Director crashes I do not understand how this bug exists for so long and no one fixed it.  HTML import should be the basics ... and now that HTML 5 comes it should be a major issue importing HTML pages.   Please I need a Response from Adobe if they will fix this ASAP else it makes Director 12 almost Useless tool .. I cant work without this feature ...  I think this BUG also exists on RTF files and in general all rich text contents it seems the the Developers messed up some libraries since they moved from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2010

The problem is when some one tries to import Text HTML the text is imported when you try to place it on the stage there is nothing and apart from that it crashes the program... 

I made a simple file just try it.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<meta content="en-us" http-equiv="Content-Language">

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">

<title>This is a simple test</title>

</head>

<body>

<p>This is a simple test</p>

<table style="width: 36%; height: 127px">

<tr>

<td>asd</td>

<td>asda</td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>dsada</td>

<td>asdad</td>

<td>asdsa</td>

<td>adsa</td>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>asdas</td>

<td>asd</td>

<td>asd</td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>asda</td>

<td>sadd</td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>asd</td>

<td>dsadsa</td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

</tr>

</table>

</body>

</html>

Director MX 2004 Works Nice while Director 12 does not... What is wrong Adobe ? how come older things work better and new dont why are you doing this mistakes?  I do not know if this bug exists on Director 11 or 11.5 But i am sure adobe has to provide me with a solution to the problem.    I Have a copy of Director MX but adobe has disabled the online activation and i am not able to register it ... some people linked a post that adobe released some cd keys i assume those keys are Volume license keys and i want to know if i use those for developing my project is that legal ? I am an owner of Director Mx 2004 and because of the Bug that Director 12 has i am not able to proceed to my work so please provide me some help here.

• 1. Re: MAJOR BUG at Director 12 - Please Fix it Adobe ...
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

When I import your file into D12 I don't get a crash when dragging the cast member onto the stage, but I do have an empty text member.

The import and display works fine in D11.5

What happens if you read in the html using, for example, FileIO then set textMember.html to the data read in?

Nevermind — I just tried that myself and it still fails.

That said, there is no-one from Adobe listening here and you won't get a fix. Try importing into an older version file and upgrading the file, or determine what it is about your HTML that D12 doesn't "like"

• 2. Re: MAJOR BUG at Director 12 - Please Fix it Adobe ...

If it works on Director 11.5 why adobe is selling Director 12 then? 

It is really sad to see older versions work better than the new one ... it really pists me off ...

it is part of the adobe quality assurance that adobe either provide me with a key of adobe director 11.5 until they fix the problem with adobe director 12 this is how it should be ...

I do not own Director 11.5,  I do own a copy of Macromedia Director MX 2004 i got it from amazon it was a used copy when i try to activate it Adobe has disabled the Macromedia Servers and they have posted a public Volume license key for all to activate their Macromedia Software thus making it public i do not know what it means really because some people say adobe is giving Macromedia MX products for free tho am not sure about that. the link is here for those who want to see it.

Error, "Unable to Activate" in Macromedia legacy products

Having said that since it works for adobe director 11.5 and does not in 12 it leaves us to the question i made before ... If some one who buys Director 12 has a license for Director 11.5 ?  Some smart people rushed to say no ... But it all proves that I am right and they are wrong and someone who buys the newer version of Director should also have a license for previous versions of Director because they are not sold and they can save the problems in cases like this one. 

Director 12 does not even import the older versions of Director when they have HTML imported they just crash ... While DIrector 11.5 might work.  I really expect some answer from Adobe to this matter.  Else we have a clear violation of the quality assurance agreement that Adobe provides for its products and farther actions have to be taken..  Some are either refund or provide a previous working version until the new one is fixed i can not think other ways ... Unless the developers stop messing around and focus on Director 12 instead of Director 11.5 There is no even XDK for director 12.   Maybe they should focus more on Director 12 and fixing the bugs instead of Director 11.5.

• 3. Re: MAJOR BUG at Director 12 - Please Fix it Adobe ...

I did some more research I found some trial versions of Director 11.5 and i compared them with Director 12 it looks like that the problem is on the xtras when i replace the folder of xtras core Director 12 work  But there is a problem Director xtras are DLL files that are linked to DLL libraries and the Director 11.5 xtras as linked to MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL while the Director 12 are linked to the new compiler  MSVCP100.DLL, MSVCR100.DLL.  It is for sure a problem that was caused when the developers of adobe decided to move from Visual Studio 2003 to VIsual Studio 2010 while they skipped the Visual Studio 2005 ... I would advice the developers at Adobe to move to Visual Studio 2005 then 2008 then 2010 and so on... The reason is because Microsoft is making HUGE changes to their compiler that is almost impossible to follow them.  I understand the pressure to move to a higher compiler this is a trick Microsoft does i did not listen to them i got my Visual Studio 2005 that is Fully compatible with Windows 98 and it does compile 64bit thus i will be covered for at least another 10 years or so.    I can not take the xtras of director 11.5 and place them to 12 because as i have explained the license does not cover that plus Adobe team has to provide a solution to that.  The major question that comes is if one xtra has problem who says that the rest do not have as well thus ALL extras of director 12 need to be checked if they work.  In other works we have a major failure in the Adobe team making proper Beta testing before releasing a product in the Market if i was the CEO of adobe i would have been really mad.  Software engineering is the process of following careful and professional steps in order to provide a software that meets our standards plus it meets the quality assurance we say it does. I understand Microsoft is to be accused as well because they change their compilers so easy and they dont care about the problems they might create.

Bottom line Adobe Development team needs to test all xtras of Director 12 so they will solve the problem and make Director 12 an Imba Director that has a major upgrade to its binary.  For example the problem that i explain has todo with the extra TextXtra.x32

this is a DLL library basically you can debug it like any other dll.  If you check the dependencies of this library you will see that it needs

in Director 11.5 MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL while in Director 12 it needs MSVCP100.DLL, MSVCR100.DLL.  Those are the libraries that also deal with the text issues in the MS compilers in the past this problem was also known as the DLL HELL.  Adobe just came across the DLL HELL with Director. 

To Solve the problem Adobe needs to fix the problematic xtras recompile them and provide an update for director ...  In Terms of license because i do not own Director 11.5 I can not copy or even use those xtras thus it is again the issue i was explaining about licensing previous versions of Director that needs to apply when some one buys the newer version of Director.  I would ask Adobe to consider my proposal and make a statement that those who Buy the latest version of Director also Buy Previous versions and this is clear to solve problems such this one. 

Please ADOBE PROVIDE WITH A FAST SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE

• 4. Re: MAJOR BUG at Director 12 - Please Fix it Adobe ...

Updates news OMG this is HUGE... believe it or not the BUG Also exists to the newest Shockwave player ...

The problem was at the extras and i decided to down load the new version of Shockwave player and YES The bug is there as well ...   Adobe has to fix this problem Asap at least if they want to have a working Shockwave ... Even if the versions are not the shame the bug exists believe it or not.  As I said Adobe developers made a huge mistake and they skipped compilers while they should have taken easy on this because Microsoft make huge changes to their compilers and this was also one of my major argument with Microsoft because it does not like Backwards compatibility for the obvious reasons and this leads as to the conclusion that the compiler should not change that often ... Once again i would advice Adobe to move to Visual Studio 2005 since it is closer compatible to Visual Studio 2003 once they manage to have all working to Visual Studio 2005 they can go to 2008 and then 10 and 13 then 15 and so on...   Again the new Shockwave xtras are linked to Visual Studio 2010 and they do have the BUGs as well.  This is huge.  I expect some answers from the Adobe Developers.   I will try to use older versions of the Shockwave player xtras to see if this will solve the problem but what it seems to be the case is that the Visual Studio 2010 has cause this bug to the entire software. I do not think that this will work if you go to a higher Compiler and i have tested this on a DLL with a hack i renamed their DLL usage to Visual Studio 2013 and they complaint that means that the DLLs are in no way compatible and Adobe should not move a compiler higher but lower Try The Visual Studio 2008 and maybe you have better Luck ...  Also try to complain to Microsoft for the mess they are creating to their compilers this is insane they change their compiler every year.   

• 5. Re: MAJOR BUG at Director 12 - Please Fix it Adobe ...

My Friend Adobe Director 12 Will crash when you Try to edit the imported HTML with the Text editor Director has... the moment you open it you will see an empty screen and when you click inside the program will crash...   As i have said I did some more research I it looks like that the problem is on the xtras.  I looked inside the core folder and it seems the problem is in the xtra that has name TextXtra.x32..   but if this exists in one extra we Adobe has to see why this is happening... What i did i Downloaded previous versions of Adobe Shockwave player in particular i downloaded the version Shockwave Player 11.5.8.612 but from the internet adobe has to provide Access to the older Shockwave players i am not able to find access to 11.  Once i installed the Player i replaced the file TextXtra.x32 that installs with the player with the one that has the Bug from Director 12 and it seems that it works... How ever I must mention a few things.  those Xtras link to Visual Studio Libraties that are MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL and the new xtras of Director 12 link to the Visual Studio 2010 that are MSVCP100.DLL, MSVCR100.DLL.  That means for a projector to work in a clean system the person has to distribute the DLLs that are needed by the extras.  With this Hack or work around a Person needs to distribute additional DLLs thats why it should not be considered a solution.  

When you Install Shockwave Player the xtra folder is located in

For Win64bit

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Xtras

For Win32bit

C:\Windows\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Xtras

If you install the 12 Version of Shockwave the Xtras are

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Adobe\Shockwave 12\Xtras

C:\Windows\Adobe\Shockwave 12\Xtras

when i replace the folder of xtras with older versions like the ones that might come with Shockwave player 11++

Director 12 works.  But this is not a Solution as i said.  If we want to follow the law by letter Adobe has to fix those bugs. Because the Distribution of Shockwave Player has other EULA while Director 12 has other agreement. 

Thus. we also have legal conflicts...  Adobe has to provide an Update for director 12 to solve this problem.   And as i said if you do that you will have Director 12 compiled in Visual Studio 2010 while all the xtras will be in Visual Studio 2003 that means that you will need to distribute 4 visual studio libraries instead of 2.  Just in case.

• 6. Re: MAJOR BUG at Director 12 - Please Fix it Adobe ...

More BAD News Almost all the xtras of Adobe Director 12 that where compiled with the Visual Studio 2010 are infected and are Full with BUGs i made another test I took the Tutorials of Director 7 that i have they are in the Show me Folder and then i tried to open one by one and none was opening Adobe Director 12 was displaying errors and was shutting down.  Adone Director 12 and Shockwave 12+ should go to a major fix by the Adobe team..   I know what the adobe developers did but this is not how we develop a serious professional software Taking the code of another and just compile it with a new compiler does not make it a better software nor that means we should not follow the procedures of beta testing and in general follow the procedures of Software Engineering.

There are more xtras infected and for this reason adobe has to take Immediate actions on this. I think the Flash Asset as well is infected  "flash_events.dir" when i try open this example Director 12 Crashes.  I need a response from Adobe and i need to know what Must i do ?  is adobe going to provide me with a License for Director 11.5 or  no ?  I can not do my work like that Director 12 is full of Bugs am so sorry Adobe has to respond to this.

If you want to see the Bugs and see how Bad Director 12 Fails do the following...

Take Director 7 and install it on a machine.  Then go to the folder of Director 7 "Show Me"  there is a lot of Tutorials there

then Try to open them and you will see that your Director 12 will explode while Director 7 and MX works fine.

For Windows 64 bit the path is here fo look the samples try open them you will see the errors.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Macromedia\Director 7\Show Me

I wait a response from Adobe for this matter thanks.