3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 5:34 AM by Steve Grisetti

Project appears to be damaged

guitarkar

Error message "Project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened". Tried all recommended troubleshooting steps but cannot open the .prel file. Able to create new projects and open other projects without any changes. Unfortunately I don't have any auto save files for this project. Setting was on auto-save every 20 minutes but there were no auto-saved versions even though I worked on this project for the whole day, while saving frequently. BTW, other projects that I worked on last week, have auto-save versions and I had not touched the settings in between projects. Something went wrong with this one.  I had completed the project and was exporting the file when I left the computer for several hours (time estimate was about 1 hour). When I came back, the computer had crashed and I had to re-boot. Since then I cannot open the project.

Moved the media files to a different folder, but cannot open the project so I cannot even point it to the new folder. Did a repair on the program file, re-created the prefs file and returned to default settings - although I had made no real changes. Moved the .prel file to another folder, made a copy, still cannot open it. Nothing works.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Project appears to be damaged
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd be concerned that you have no auto-save files. That may be related to the fact that your .prel corrupted.

How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Which version of the program are you using on what operating system?

When did you last run the free program Malware Bytes  on your system?

• 2. Re: Project appears to be damaged
            guitarkar Level 1

Thanks for the response. I think you may be right about the file being corrupted that led to the problem with the auto-save. I tried to import the file into Cyberlink PowerDirector and it returns the same message that the file is damaged. Able to import other .prel files into PowerDirector without a problem.

Over 600GB of free space out of 922GB all defragged.

Adobe Premiere Elements 12.0 on Win10. Sorry, I should have included that information in my original post.

I have Malware Bytes, but I did not run it since I started the project. Does it create problems for Premiere? I also have BitDefender which scans frequently. Is that another potential issue? What about CCleaner?

I have uninstalled the program and trying to re-install. Doubt that it will solve the damaged file issue, but may prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Project appears to be damaged
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm very surprised to hear you can open a .prel file in PowerDirector! But if that works, it works.

Just know that, once you do open a .prel file in PowerDirector, it will probably never open again in Premiere Elements. Project files can't be passed from program to program without suffering some corruption.