4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 4:48 PM by alecs2409866

Applying Span Columns Style empties 1st column of text

alecs2409866

I have a two-column layout, created with a master page that contains 1 text frame in two columns as the primary text frame.  I then placed my text into a page, and InDesign populated several pages each with one, two-column frame. So far, so good.

When I try to make my chapter headings span both columns of the page frame, however, things get a little wonky.  The headings do span both columns, but then the text gets pushed to the second column.  I.E., if I put my cursor at the end of the heading and tap the right arrow, the skips the entire first column below the heading, and instead jumps to the top of the second column.  This renders the first column of chapter unusable, and looks rather odd.

What I was expecting was for the text after the heading to begin in the first column, below the chapter heading.  Is there some sort of weird page/column break setting that gets triggered by spanning columns? Since the text has been imported from elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an odd setting that got imported too... I just don't know where to look.

When I deselect the span columns option for the header, the header + the text afterwords flows back to the first column of the frame.

• 1. Re: Applying Span Columns Style empties 1st column of text
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it work as intended, if you do not use the Primary Text Frame?

What are the settings for Paragraph Start in your headline and in the next paragraph?

What is your exact version of InDesign and your OS?

Regards,
          Uwe

• 2. Re: Applying Span Columns Style empties 1st column of text
            alecs2409866 Level 1

Discovered it! The "Keep" style options for the regular text included keep all lines together.  Not sure why it felt the need to keep multiple paragraphs together, not just the lines in a single paragraph... but selecting the option to keep 2 lines together at start or end of paragraph fixed the issue.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Applying Span Columns Style empties 1st column of text
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just tested that with InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 on Mac OSX.
              I cannot see that the Keep options influence the spanning of a headline.

Screenshot from my German InDesign:

KeepOptionSet-AllLinesTogether-SpanningHeadline.png

So what is your exact version of InDesign and OS?

Thanks,
              Uwe

• 4. Re: Applying Span Columns Style empties 1st column of text
                alecs2409866 Level 1

Thanks for your fast response.

As per above, it's the combination of "Keep" statements.  There was not only keeping all the lines in a paragraph together, there was also a setting for keeping the paragraphs with above / below lines... these two settings together meant that ALL the paragraphs on the page had to be together. I imagine if this were strictly followed, they should have appeared on the next page.

However, the result was since all the paragraphs couldn't fit into the first column, they were pushed into the second. They couldn't really fit there, either, but I guess InDesign had computed that they had been pushed far enough.

I'm not surprised there was some kind of wonky setting imported on a doc that started as a Google Doc, was exported as .docx, and then imported into InDesign. The challenge was figuring out what those settings were.  For newbies like myself trying to decipher text styles, you might take a close look at the  "Style settings box" in the Paragraph Style Options box. It gave me a helpful list of styles to experiment with until I found the answers.