7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 11:22 AM by BarbBinder

Where does Indesign save my files?

Ryadia™ Level 1

Long time since I've posted here but this new ID CC is driving me nuts!

I create a magazine, well a 12 page brochure actually and save the thing in a folder (lets call it pictures/12_page). OK so all thats there is a directory called 12_page/Previews.Irdata which is full of files that has absolutely nothing to do with the brochure. Great stuff Adobe. Where are my files?

As usual, all help appreciated.

Ryadia.

• 1. Re: Where does Indesign save my files?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

InDesign saves the files there where YOU choose to Save As…

If you want to collect all imported files together with the INDD file you have to File > Package…

lrdata has nothing to do with InDesign, I suppose it is from Lightroom, but I am not sure yet.

• 2. Re: Where does Indesign save my files?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your files will be stored in whatever folder and subfolder you designate, which could be on your local drive or on your network someplace, and you need to take care that you are actually specifying the correct parent folder. By default, the program will go to the last folder used for a Save AS when you first save a new file, and that  may not be where you expect or intend.

You have a further complication here if you actually used a slash in your file or folder name. That may well have been interpreted by the OS as folder path divider. You should avoid using any characters in file and folder names other than letter, numbers, underscores and hyphens.

• 3. Re: Where does Indesign save my files?
              BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Just to clarify: previews.lrdata is the preview cache for Lightroom. It doesn't have anything to do with InDesign.

It doesn't sound like you are a new user, but for the new users who read this thread later, when you save a file and can't find it—use File > Open Recent to locate it. The list now defaults to the last 20 files. Open the file, choose File > Save as (note the current folder because that's where it went), then carefully select the project folder and click Save. This happened to one of my students in class yesterday. (And I'll grudgingly admit that I occasionally use File > Save Without Thinking to some random folder as well. )

• 4. Re: Where does Indesign save my files?
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

On the Mac you can open any file (not only in InDesign, make sure it is shown as single document. Hold down the command key and click on the name on the top of the document window, it will show the path hierarchy. An you can jump there to any parent directory or folder.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Where does Indesign save my files?

Ooooh. Or right+click the tab because I have right+click enabled. I never knew that, Willi. Thank you... that was a gift!

• 6. Re: Where does Indesign save my files?
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Barb, you need to (temporarily) turn off the Application Frame to do what Willi described. You can't just click on a tab in the Application Frame.

InDesign CC092.png

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Where does Indesign save my files?

Two gifts? And it's not even my birthday! Thanks to both of you.

InDesign CCss_014.png

InDesign CCss_015.png