6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2016 6:34 AM by Peter Spier

paragraph styles update

dorothea.per

hello, i have an isseu with paragraph styles,

i have appllied a font, but client suggested to change it,

i cannot do it by find cause light, condenced etc are ton the same at these fonts,

(turn arial into Helvetica), the thing is i went back at paragraph styles and changed font,

but how can i update the whole style everywhere? i seem to have to enter each text box and give again the paragraph style in order to change font back,,,

• 1. Re: paragraph styles update
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The only reason redefining the paragraph style would not do what you want is if there is also a character style or manual override applied to your text.

• 2. Re: paragraph styles update
            dorothea.per Level 1

i do have character styles also, they cause me a comfusion at stule where it can start bod and tur to light as well, then if i apply style whole text turns to black,

can i do something to fix this?

• 3. Re: paragraph styles update

The main formatting for all text is done through the paragraph style with that formatting applied to all text in a paragraph. Character styles are used to change that basic formatting for selected portions of text within the larger paragraph, such as making a word bold or italic for emphasis, and should never be applied to any text except to make it different from the underlying paragraph formatting.

Character styles can be applied manually to selected text, or through Nested Styles or GREP styles where it is possible to identify a pattern in your text that should trigger the format change.

• 4. Re: paragraph styles update
                dorothea.per Level 1

well this is not something i decide (character styles), but client when sets up initial files,

i just wanted to know why styles do not update each paragraph in the file  (something like frame maker paragraph tags) and i have to place a cursor in each paragraph and "give" again the style in order to change font to the new one i updated

• 5. Re: paragraph styles update
                  K´mo Level 3

Just like Peter told, they must have been overrided (or the styles are not applied at all by your client. Can you see the styles in story editor?) so you need to apply the styles again. Then you can change the font etc from the paragraph styles. You can also try to select all text and select clear overrides from the Paragraph styles palette's corner menu. Also, then you lose all applied character styles. 

• 6. Re: paragraph styles update

If your client is applying character styles to entire paragraphs you need to either get them to stop, or fix the text yourself after you receive it.

Character styles are only useful for changing isolated words within a paragraph.