2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 5:26 AM by johnpredmore

Apply Export Tag to Paragraph Style

johnpredmore

Hi,

I'm learning basic scripting and today I need to apply an export tag to a paragraph style for PDF export (see screenshot) across dozens of documents. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to use a script to automatize this time intensive process.

Does anybody have any tips on how to do that?Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 1.22.55 PM.png

• 1. Re: Apply Export Tag to Paragraph Style
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Look in to InDesign's DOM (Document Object Model), and specifically at Paragraph Style properties: ParagraphStyle

In there you can find a property "styleExportTagMaps" – a plural, probably because you can add multiple tags to a single style (?). Browsing to that, you get StyleExportTagMap , which, in turn, has a simple string property called "exportTag".

So if style points to a valid Paragraph Style, you can do this to add either a tagName or a className to it (only one of these; you must set the other to an empty string):

style.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType:"PDF", exportAttributes:'', exportTag:tagName, exportClass:className});

I've only used this with an exportType of "EPUB", but if I'm remembering correctly "PDF" is 'the' other option.

I haven't used those exportAttributes before. If you want to find out what it can contain, set a number of options in the user interface for a random style and then read out the styleExportTagMap of that style to see what values it holds.

• 2. Re: Apply Export Tag to Paragraph Style
            johnpredmore Level 1

Thanks Jongware,

You pointed me in the right direction; here's what I came up with:

var myDoc = app.activeDocument;

// Body Text

var body = myDoc.paragraphStyles.itemByName("Body Text");

body.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "EPUB", exportTag: "p", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});

body.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "PDF", exportTag: "P", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});   

// H1

var h1 = myDoc.paragraphStyles.itemByName("H1");

h1.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "EPUB", exportTag: "h1", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});

h1.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "PDF", exportTag: "H1", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});  

// H2

var h2 = myDoc.paragraphStyles.itemByName("H2");

h2.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "EPUB", exportTag: "h2", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});

h2.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "PDF", exportTag: "H2", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});  

// H3

var h3 = myDoc.paragraphStyles.itemByName("H3");

h3.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "EPUB", exportTag: "h3", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});

h3.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "PDF", exportTag: "H3", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});      

// Tables - Body Text

var tablesBody = myDoc.paragraphStyles.itemByName("Tables - Body Text");

tablesBody.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "EPUB", exportTag: "p", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});

tablesBody.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "PDF", exportTag: "P", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""}); 

// Student Version     

// Student MS - Body Text

var StudentBody = myDoc.paragraphStyleGroups.item("Student Version").paragraphStyles.item("Student MS - Body Text");

StudentBody.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "EPUB", exportTag: "p", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});

StudentBody.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "PDF", exportTag: "P", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});     

// Student Cover - H1

var StudentCoverH1 = myDoc.paragraphStyleGroups.item("Student Version").paragraphStyles.item("Student Cover - H1");

StudentCoverH1.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "EPUB", exportTag: "h1", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});

StudentCoverH1.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "PDF", exportTag: "H1", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});                   

// Student Cover - H2

var StudentCoverH2 = myDoc.paragraphStyleGroups.item("Student Version").paragraphStyles.item("Student Cover - H2");

StudentCoverH2.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "EPUB", exportTag: "h2", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});

StudentCoverH2.styleExportTagMaps.add({exportType: "PDF", exportTag: "H2", exportClass: "", exportAttributes: ""});