6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 11:13 AM by JimHess

Viewing photo detail at size

rjsphd Level 1

In the Print module I have sized my image to print (20X36 inches), but I would like to see what the detail looks like before I sent it out to be printed.  In other words, I would like a square inch on my screen to be roughly what a square inch will be when printed.   Suggestions?   "Zoom" doesn't seem to do anything in Print for me.  Should that be the case?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Viewing photo detail at size
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All of the detail in your image (sharpness, clarity, luminance noise, etc.) should all be monitored in the develop module when looking at the image at 1:1 ratio. Any corrections that need to be made should be done in the develop module. By the time you have moved on to the print module all of the detailed work should have been taken care of. I question whether there is any monitor that can accurately replicate what a print will look like.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Viewing photo detail at size
            rjsphd Level 1

Thanks, Jim.  Good for this novice to know.  But it raises the question what does "1:1"  really mean?  My two Lr books don't really tell me.  I am trying to get an honest assessment of detail(?) that will be visible at my full enlargement. At 1:1 the detail is crisp and amazingly sharp, but when I zoom to 3:1, not so much.  At which mag am I emulating the size of my print (e.g., 20x36 inches)? 

• 3. Re: Viewing photo detail at size
              richardplondon Level 4

Unfortunately the Print module is only designed to show you the whole page, filling the window.

The only suggestion I can think of for previewing your page at its final scale, is to save it out as a JPG (Print module, Print Job panel, 'Print To:' JPEG File).

By setting the same PPI 'File Resolution' as your monitor's native DPI (which is often between 100 and 120), and by re-importing that to LR or else by using some other image viewer, viewing at 1:1 zoom will then give you real physical size (Print scaling).

Of course, the accuracy of this mockup in other respects - such as, the precise appearance of detail, needs some heavy qualification.

• 4. Re: Viewing photo detail at size
                dj_paige Level 9

rjsphd wrote:

Thanks, Jim. Good for this novice to know. But it raises the question what does "1:1" really mean? My two Lr books don't really tell me. I am trying to get an honest assessment of detail(?) that will be visible at my full enlargement. At 1:1 the detail is crisp and amazingly sharp, but when I zoom to 3:1, not so much. At which mag am I emulating the size of my print (e.g., 20x36 inches)?

If you are starting with a photo that is sharp at 1:1, then you've got everything you need. No photo will look sharp at 3:1, that simply can't happen, it's impossible.

The whole idea of examining up close the detail of an enlarged photo, that is going to be printed 20x36, seems to me to be off the mark. You will be sitting with your eyes a about 2-3 feet from your computer screen, and the printed image is going to be viewed from a much larger distance. I can't imagine you'd see anything you like from typical sitting distance from a computer screen, if you blew the photo up on your screen as you are suggesting, I imagine it won't look good. But when the printed image is viewed from say 8-10 feet, the problems will be gone. So I really think you are headed in the wrong direction with this question.

• 5. Re: Viewing photo detail at size
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rjsphd wrote:

Thanks, Jim. Good for this novice to know. But it raises the question what does "1:1" really mean?

1:1 means that one screen pixel equals one image pixel. I seldom use anything greater than that because it really isn't necessary. If your image is sharp at 1:1 you can be confident with the quality of the print. I use 1:1 to ensure that I haven't over sharpened which consequently will cause halos around the edges of subjects.

A print as large as you are printing is going to be viewed from a much greater distance. There really isn't any point, in my opinion, to look at an image at 3:1.