8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 1:52 AM by Roei Tzoref

Best Approach to handling 720x576 footage with 1920x1080 templates?

Rolo Tommasi Level 1

Let me be more clear I have some templates, Projects that uses some Parallax Effects or Place Holders etc, already established in 1920x1080 compositions, However I want to use some older footage that are 720x576 (along with some still images, but I can modify the size of the images to fit to project) now would you suggest converting my older video footage to larger size and bringing in, or is there a way to for example downsizing the composition even though it is set with these templates that I am planning to use? ps. most of these template projects are videohive projects

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Best Approach to handling 720x576 footage with 1920x1080 templates?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          would you suggest converting my older video footage to larger size and bringing in

this would be better, because changing a whole project's dimensions even with scripts can be unpredictable. god only knows what setup you got there and also 16:9 to 3:4 would be a whole mess. what you can do is place your PAL footage in an HD Preset and upscale it. try using detail preserve upscale effect to scale it up. there are also 3rd party plugins like InstantHD. when you are done, if you don't have to export fullHD you can export HD720 so there will be less upscaling.

make sure you convert them to a D.I with high quality so you won't lose information.

• 2. Re: Best Approach to handling 720x576 footage with 1920x1080 templates?
            Rolo Tommasi Level 1

Roei Tzoref I think what you suggest is spot on!

When you said " Place your PAL footage in an HD Preset and upscale it" is this done purely in After Effects or Do I need to use Premiere or another program, "Detail Preserve Upscale Effect" is I am assuming somewhere in After Effects?

what is D.I with high quality ?

I am sorry a Beginner here!

Thanks

• 3. Re: Best Approach to handling 720x576 footage with 1920x1080 templates?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yeah, I'm with Roei -- upscale the footage, render it and bring it into the template projects.  Use either Detail Preserving Upscale or Instant HD.  It's not as messy that way.

• 5. Re: Best Approach to handling 720x576 footage with 1920x1080 templates?

When you said " Place your PAL footage in an HD Preset and upscale it" is this done purely in After Effects or Do I need to use Premiere or another program

All in After Effects. create a new composition, choose an HD preset and make sure frame rate is the same. drag you PAL over there. apply the effect and set the parameters.

"Detail Preserve Upscale Effect" is I am assuming somewhere in After Effects?

the effect is in there. you can find it in the effects and presets panel just search det... it offers parameters that could prove to be better for your footage than just scaling the footage.

what is D.I with high quality ?

Yes. D.I - Digital Intermediate - can mean different things but here we use the this as a fancy term for lossless quality file. in layman's terms - render Quicktime Animation

• 6. Re: Best Approach to handling 720x576 footage with 1920x1080 templates?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let me throw in my two cents. The most important part of this process is making sure you know what the picture ratio is for the footage you have. That frame size can be 4:3 or widescreen for any of the 720 wide standard pixel width formats.

Once you properly interpret the footage you can either render a digital intermediate (I would pick something other than animation QuickTime because the files are huge and it's only 8 bit) or if the shots are short use a either of the plug-ins mentioned above and just use the footage directly in your comp.

I would also make some serious design considerations. Most of the time when I incorporate archival footage in a HD project I will  not scale it up to fill the frame but put it in a box that complement the design. Instant HD and Detail Preserving Upscale do a fine job.  There are a couple of third-party solutions that even do a better job. Premiere Pro on it's own does a very good job of up scaling footage but remember you are still making about eight pixels out of one so the quality is going to suffer.

Cineware makes a good 10 bit CODEK  that comes free with the Go Pro studio and may even now be native to AE. Threr are several other "mezzanine" formats available for both Windows and Mac platforms. Some system specs and a little more detail on what you're trying to accomplish will help us point you down a straighter path.

• 7. Re: Best Approach to handling 720x576 footage with 1920x1080 templates?
                    Rolo Tommasi Level 1

Thank you All I will try learning all these approaches, and practice them with my project. I really appreciate your responses!

• 8. Re: Best Approach to handling 720x576 footage with 1920x1080 templates?
                      (I would pick something other than animation QuickTime because the files are huge and it's only 8 bit)

thanks Rick.  Animation does create large files but is the fastest to render. considering that detail preserve up-scaling effect is a resource hog, this could be a good approach if you don't care much for disk space (it's not THAT bad). I work in a news channel where we render with Animation all the time through network hard drives. it's fast and reliable. but I have been reading about how you use Jpeg2000 for D.I. - Let me ask you: Did you ever find any reason to use Animation over Jpeg2000?

I just ran a test using both codecs on a 10 Seconds PAL footage enlarged with this effect to FullHD - exactly what Op needs to do.

CodecRender TimeFile Size
                      QT Animation28 seconds1.27GB
                      Jpeg 2000  1Min, 13 Seconds309MB

guess what the Jpeg2000 codec reduces in size, it makes up in render time. it's really up to the priorities of the user's workflow I guess.