4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2006 7:58 AM by Newsgroup_User

SWF not loading in Flash 8 pluggin

srikanth_s_india
      We have a Flash program (with few SWF files) which was compiled in Flash 5 and has been working fine for the past 3 years. Now that program is not loading in Flash 8 pluggin within the browser (both IE and FireFox). It still continues to work with lower Flash pluggins.

The program is accessing a JSP file from our server (while running in the browser) to fetch data dynamically based on the user input. It is not accessing any files from the client's computer (the one where the browser is running). Actually none of the SWF files are loading even though only one SWF is accessing the JSP file.

Can anybody tell me how we can make it load with Flash 8 pluggin? We should avoid any confirmation dialogs being thrown to the user.
        • 1. Re: SWF not loading in Flash 8 pluggin
          Juankpro Level 2
          No idea if I don't have any code. Or maybe you can write the url to you page.
          • 2. Re: SWF not loading in Flash 8 pluggin
            Level 7
            Did you investigate the newer security protocols in the Flash player? If you
            have cross domains in the Actionscript or Actionscript is reading (XML or
            LoadVars) from local drive or network and sending to internet you could have
            a security issue.

For security see
            http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/fplayer8_security.html as well as
            Flash 8 docs.

--
            Lon Hosford
            www.lonhosford.com
            Flash, Actionscript and Flash Media Server examples:
            http://flashexamples.hosfordusa.com
            May many happy bits flow your way!
            "srikanth_s_india" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:e5rso0$mc2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            We have a Flash program (with few SWF files) which was compiled in Flash 5
            and
            has been working fine for the past 3 years. Now that program is not loading
            in
            Flash 8 pluggin within the browser (both IE and FireFox). It still continues
            to
            work with lower Flash pluggins.

The program is accessing a JSP file from our server (while running in the
            browser) to fetch data dynamically based on the user input. It is not
            accessing
            any files from the client's computer (the one where the browser is running).
            Actually none of the SWF files are loading even though only one SWF is
            accessing the JSP file.

Can anybody tell me how we can make it load with Flash 8 pluggin? We should
            avoid any confirmation dialogs being thrown to the user.

• 3. Re: SWF not loading in Flash 8 pluggin
              srikanth_s_india Level 1
              Thanks for the article link.

I can't provide the URL as it is within our application which requires logging in. However, one more interesting thing about it is that it always works for the first time (in the browser/machine) but not from the next time.

My doubt is whether it is because of the caching? When it loads for the first time, the HTML and SWF files load from our server and hence are allowed to communicate with our JSP. However, when it loads the subsequent times, it probably loads from the cache and hence considered as a local file and not allowed to communicate with our JSP file which is on the Internet.

Can anybody tell me how to enable a local SWF file to load SWF files from the Internet & access URLs from the Internet in Flash 8 pluggin?
              • 4. Re: SWF not loading in Flash 8 pluggin
                Level 7
                Seems odd it will only run once. Usually if a cache problem you get the same
                results even when you update the movie or server scripts.

If it is http:// it is not local even if from the browser cache.

Verify the html is validated.

Check to see if this applies to all swfs. Create a simple hello world swf
                that connects to a JSP script that returns a simple value to Flash. If that
                seems to work, then the problem is in the JSP or Actionscripting coding.

Check you can load the JSP script repeatedly using a direct call to it on
                the browser line using http://.

--
                Lon Hosford
                www.lonhosford.com
                Flash, Actionscript and Flash Media Server examples:
                http://flashexamples.hosfordusa.com
                May many happy bits flow your way!
                "srikanth_s_india" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e6obld$lfb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thanks for the article link.
                >
                > I can't provide the URL as it is within our application which requires
                > logging
                > in. However, one more interesting thing about it is that it always works
                > for
                > the first time (in the browser/machine) but not from the next time.
                >
                > My doubt is whether it is because of the caching? When it loads for the
                > first
                > time, the HTML and SWF files load from our server and hence are allowed to
                > communicate with our JSP. However, when it loads the subsequent times, it
                > probably loads from the cache and hence considered as a local file and not
                > allowed to communicate with our JSP file which is on the Internet.
                >
                > Can anybody tell me how to enable a local SWF file to load SWF files from
                > the
                > Internet & access URLs from the Internet in Flash 8 pluggin?
                >