1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 4:53 AM by Mylenium

How were the Effects in this Video Created?

EmeraldParrot

Hello, I have a few questions about the effects created in this animation. I believe some of these effects were created with the help of Trapcode Particular.

Take a look at 0:23. See how Celestia's mane gets warped and moved when she moves her head a certain direction? I know that WarpOut applied the wave warp effect to her mane, but I don't know how he got the mane to move like that and follow her head movements. In a comment he stated that he used the wave warp effect + Trapcode Particular with the emitter tracked to her head. I searched some tutorials on this, but they were only explaining how to get particles to follow a certain path. I'm still learning After Effects, so I don't know much about emitters and motion paths. I can't seem to find anything that explains this. I see a "Tracker" option in After Effects, does this function the same way that the Particular one does? Do I have to add a new solid layer with Particular applied and use that for the emitter, or do I have to apply the Particular effect to the mane? When I add the Particular effect to the mane, the mane disappears.

I also want to learn how he created the magic effect on her horn. (0:43, 0:56) I'm assuming that this was done with Particular. It looks like it could've been done with Trapcode Form too.

Skip to 2:29. I love the way that Nightmare Moon's mane kind of circles around and fills up the screen. There seems to be a wave warp on it as it travels over to Luna, but I don't know how the mane was warped to fit the whole screen and expand. There also seems to be fire-like effects inside her mane. See how the outside of her mane is blue? How did he get that to stay around the edges and fade into the other parts of her mane when it touches them?

See how Celestia is drawing all that energy to herself at 3:38? I wonder how that was made. It seems to have a few different effects inside of it as well.

How was 4:06 tweened to make it look 3D? I know that some of the stuff was redrawn each frame, but the legs, body, and wings all seem to be tweened at points.

I am relatively new to Trapcode and After Effects, so any tips or advice would help me a lot!

Thank you for the help! It's greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: How were the Effects in this Video Created?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, Brony alert! *lol* Not really much to it. These are just basic effects. The problem is really the lack of understanding of some basic AE stuff. This doesn't even have anything to do with the specifics of some plug-ins used.

The inertia bounces could easily be animated with the Puppet tool, Liquify or directly on mask shapes that generate the strokes and fills. This really isn't a specific trick, it's just a bunch of keyframe and understanding animation timing. If you were to do it with Particular, you would simply emit massive amounts of particles, but make them invisible and only let the Aux particles create trails to be used as strands of hair that visualize the physical motion of the main particles. Just try it. And the video uses excessive bevels and possibly effects like simple choker and Minimax to create solid areas.

The expanding night likewise is just a particle trail with expanding plumes used as a matte. Sure, there may be multiple instances with different settings and there also seems to be Fractal Noise, but it's really basic and you just need to find the right settings plus perhaps use additional masking to fill in any gaps. Similar things can be said for pretty much anything else - a mask here, a simple effect used there and sometimes lots of them combined.

It would really be a good idea to ignore the clip for a moment and just spend a few afternnons exploring the techniques like e.g. creating a blob figure based on animated mask paths and trying to get it look in perspective. Conversely, exploring some of the knobs and levers in Particular and Form can make things click just by combining random settings. Once you have some of those basics down, you'll lokk at the clip with different eyes and things will be much easier.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful