6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 11:02 AM by Roei Tzoref

4K vs 1080p rendering -- why different?

PictureLake Level 1

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

I have a 4K video source (from a Panasonic GH4) that when rendered at 4K and 1080p (50% scale) looks different. The 1080p rendering is identical to the clip’s appearance within AE. The 4K clip is clearly darker. Here is a screen capture of a portion of a frame from each render. (I won’t even mention which is which, as it should be obvious from my description unless my eyes are deceiving me.)

1080pVs4k.JPG

I have no clue what might be happening. I’m using v13.8.0.144 on Win 10. The clips were rendered using the Photo – JPEG codec.

Ideas? Things to try?

Thanks,

Ken

• 1. Re: 4K vs 1080p rendering -- why different?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Interesting. Seems that this footage's compression through the Jpeg codec's algorithm is not doing him well but before we assume this is true - are these screenshots coming from whithin Ae after importing the footage back to Ae? because that should be your comparison platform. if it is, Show us the project settings information near the thumbnail for each one. Also try testing a short sequence in a different codec: Jpeg2000 or Animation and share the results.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 4K vs 1080p rendering -- why different?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, are you actually sure it ever looked the same? Start by checking your footage interpretation and color settings in AE and verify the comps at 100% zoom, including potential color shifts introduced by hardware acceleration and toggling the Fast Draft setting on the comp. Exact comp and render settings would also offer some clues. You may simply have used soem preset that assigns a different default color space/ color profile.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: 4K vs 1080p rendering -- why different?
              PictureLake Level 1

Roei, you nailed it -- thank you! I had forgotten to do that, instead I was just looking at the clips in the viewer I use (PotPlayer).

Bringing both rendered files into AE, they look identical to the original. So whatever the problem is, it isn't related to AE (as far as I can tell).

Mylenium, I assume it wouldn't help to give my comp and render settings and this point, since it seems AE is doing everything right. It must be PotPlayer. I just tried Windows Media Player, and (of course) I get yet another result. The HD & 4K clips do look the same in WMP, but different from how they look in AE. Gotta love it!

Thank you, guys.

Ken

• 4. Re: 4K vs 1080p rendering -- why different?

Glad to help. I would still check and see why your players see different values out of curiosity, but this is just geeky me . do you have VLC player? does it look the same? I would check with Animation Codec or Jpeg 2000. if you can upload a short of this 4K I would test it myself.

• 5. Re: 4K vs 1080p rendering -- why different?
                  PictureLake Level 1

I just switched to a new computer with a new (clean) installation of Win 10, and had decided not to install VLC because I felt it's become bloated over the years. It used to be my main player. Anyway, I just installed the 64-bit version, and indeed the 4K and 1080p versions look identical (and appear identical to the AE appearance). Too bad VLC can't play the 64-bit version at all (it plays about 5 frames out of a 7-second clip), but that's perhaps due to both my hardware (relying on the 6700K's built-in GPU at the moment) and the way I have (or haven't!) VLC configured. I'll have to play around with it to see if I can improve it, though perhaps I'll continue to use it just as a sanity check on colors when needed.

Thanks again,

Ken

• 6. Re: 4K vs 1080p rendering -- why different?

You're welcome.

though perhaps I'll continue to use it just as a sanity check on colors when needed.

Yes, this sounds like a good Idea.